Morels 2018 2018-05-11T12:44:24+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Mushroom Hunting Morels 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ive been out about 4 times the past week but nothing in the Quad City area. It’s raining right now so I’m hoping this weekend is when they start popping. How’s your luck been?

IATOGA
    Participant
    ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Nice, southern Iowa?

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

drmac22
    Participant

I found about 5 pound of yellows today.  South of CR.  They are out but not thick.  I just happen to find a very large group in one area.  The rest was ones and twos.  So Maybe a good hot day will pop them up.  Although alot of the ones I found today were drying out.  So they been there a while.

Wildcats789
    Participant

Yesterday around CR.  Seems like it’s just getting started.  Spent 3 hours in good woods up by Anamosa on Friday and found 10.  But same as drmac, some had the tops dried out.

medicdano
    Participant

I havent talked to anybody finding big lots of them. They are done in NE MO.

Philly
    Participant

I found some in Clay County yesterday. They are here.

jdob1983
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I have 2 so far in butler county.  I javent been looking very hard the 2 were more of an accident</p>

TheDuckSlayer
    Participant

We looked around Panora yesterday, nothing. I looked in my usual spot in Nebraska. Nothing. I see guys on Facebook getting a whole bunch though.

rvansant43
    Participant

Found alot of pheasant backs and golden oysters.   5 morels.😞  still fun to be out.  

stick500stick500
    Participant

Have any of you guys ever heard of people becoming allergic to morels as they age?

I loved them as a kid but got extremely sick (like food poisoning sick) two years in a row after eating them as an adult after not having them for decades.

I’m pretty sure they were the right ones and not a case of the wrong kind or spoiled ones. An internet search did find that this allergic reaction can happen to some people. I have no other allergies as far as I know.

I do miss them, but will never be tempted to have one again.

RGR175
    Participant

Still zero on the morel count for me, but I did find few Oyster mushrooms yesterday.

Oyster Musrooms

RGR175
    Participant

Have any of you guys ever heard of people becoming allergic to morels as they age? I loved them as a kid but got extremely sick (like food poisoning sick) two years in a row after eating them as an adult after not having them for decades. I’m pretty sure they were the right ones and not a case of the wrong kind or spoiled ones. An internet search did find that this allergic reaction can happen to some people. I have no other allergies as far as I know. I do miss them, but will never be tempted to have one again.

I thought I got sick from some bluegills a few summers ago. Turned out to be some really old flour that was the culprit. I would double check any ingredients used with the morels or just try sauteing a small test batch with no other ingredients other than an oil you know to be good to see if you have the same reaction. Any wine or other alcohol with the mushrooms? That can cause stomach issues when eating mushrooms from what I’ve read. Not sure which types can do this other than the ink cap, but that’s something to consider.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Have any of you guys ever heard of people becoming allergic to morels as they age? I loved them as a kid but got extremely sick (like food poisoning sick) two years in a row after eating them as an adult after not having them for decades. I’m pretty sure they were the right ones and not a case of the wrong kind or spoiled ones. An internet search did find that this allergic reaction can happen to some people. I have no other allergies as far as I know. I do miss them, but will never be tempted to have one again.

I have found that as I got older I could not eat as many morels at one time.  Would cause violent stomach problems, ;(

Used to be I could a dozen at one sitting with a cold brew and be a happy guy.  No longer, now I eat just a couple smaller mushrooms.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

I thought I got sick from some bluegills a few summers ago. Turned out to be some really old flour that was the culprit. I would double check any ingredients used with the morels or just try sauteing a small test batch with no other ingredients other than an oil you know to be good to see if you have the same reaction. Any wine or other alcohol with the mushrooms? That can cause stomach issues when eating mushrooms from what I’ve read. Not sure which types can do this other than the ink cap, but that’s something to consider.

And a banana!! Wow! HAHA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE MAGAZINE