Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Youth Deer Season

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

If my kids can’t be in the stand without their ipad (well we don’t have an ipad anyway) they won’t be in a stand. It’s pretty hard to learn anything when you’re not paying attention and don’t give me it’s a different generation thing. The only difference is that the parents don’t make kids do what they don’t want to do. We’re not doing them any favors or teaching them anything by giving them what they want. It’s no wonder so many kids are having such are hard time adjusting to real life these days.

Do you let your kids go online and tell other people their style is different and wrong or is that just reserved for the adults at your house?

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

If my kids can’t be in the stand without their ipad (well we don’t have an ipad anyway) they won’t be in a stand. It’s pretty hard to learn anything when you’re not paying attention and don’t give me it’s a different generation thing. The only difference is that the parents don’t make kids do what they don’t want to do. We’re not doing them any favors or teaching them anything by giving them what they want. It’s no wonder so many kids are having such are hard time adjusting to real life these days.

Do you let your kids go online and tell other people their style is different and wrong or is that just reserved for the adults at your house?

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Not sure where I told you your were wrong but since you brought it up I will tell you.

According to a 2013 Policy Statement by the American Academy of Pediatrics, 8- to 10 year-olds spend 8 hours a day with various digital media while teenagers spend 11 hours in front of screens. Like it or not, if a kid can’t sit still for a few hours while hunting they are not learning the skills needed to make it through life. As a whole, we have become a society of self centered, self indulged morons that don’t learn anything we don’t want too, don’t do anything we don’t want to, and have to have a freaking electronic pacifier to keep us happy while we drive, work, and play. Furthermore, technology has become hyper-arousing that it raises dopamine levels รขโ‚ฌโ€ the feel-good neurotransmitter most involved in the addiction dynamic รขโ‚ฌโ€ as much as heroin, nicotine, meth or cocaine. It’s a serious addiction and a growing problem especially with our youth as their brains are not developed to the point that they understand or can cope with the issue. Sorry, but no digital heroin for my kids, that means Legos instead of Minecraft; books instead of iPads and nature instead of TV.

There’s a reason that the most tech-cautious parents are tech designers and engineers. Steve Jobs was a notoriously low-tech parent. Silicon Valley tech executives and engineers enroll their kids in no-tech Waldorf Schools. Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page went to no-tech Montessori Schools, as did Amazon creator Jeff Bezos and Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales. You can be a part of the growing problem, and yes it is a real problem, or you can be part of the solution that gets rid of the distractions and teaches kids how to become a grown up.

I know you could care less about what I think but there are literally thousands of studies by highly respected PHD’s that back me up. Read the book The Growth Of The Mind, by Stanley Greenspan, yo might understand where I’m coming from. I do believe you can get it on your iPad.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Good you do it your way and I will do it my way hint my way is working really well. My boys are so far ahead of me in the world of hunting than I was. I didn’t kill a deer until I was 14.

We were out tonight. My older boy saw a 6 and a doe. Myself and younger boy didn’t see a thing. Oh my younger son had his Iphone ya he has one at 10 because he stays home alone at times and we don’t have a home phone. I think he looked at it twice for about 30 seconds. I trust my 12 year old but I feel a lot better with him having his phone on him so I can check on him.

Participant

My usual spot had someone in the parking lot, so we went to plan B. Didn’t think we would see anything, but ended up seeing three deer. Unfortunately they were about 200 yards away which was twice the range for which we had practiced so they got a pass. Was hoping they might circle back and come closer, but nope. The iPad and iPhone came along and were used every once in a while. I expect we will be bringing them along on future hunts. Generally, too much of anything tends to be detrimental to your health. I view iDevices as just another tool in the game. I think that using all the tools available to you helps maximize your chances of success.

I thought it was a pretty good sit overall. On the drive there and back I had the chance to talk about wildlife behavior, hunting itself, and the outdoors in general. I think the kids are starting to become intrigued by it and we will likely be going out again tomorrow.

Participant

So some kids are on the phone in the stand and some aren’t. Sounds just like adults, what a shock.

Participant

Unfortunately it looks like it is going to be really hot next weekend again. That sucks.

Participant

Son went Saturday. Had a doe come in behind us to 5 yards, snorted and stomped for about 5 minutes before hopping off behind us, it did stop a couple times to look back. then stand shifted and I decided it was an unsafe set up so we called for help to reset the stand in a safe location about 30 yds away, sat that night and bumped deer on our way out.

Daughter went sunday, nothing in the am. Evening we saw a group of turkeys walk 30 yrds behind us, several raccoons, and bumped deer walking out.

Not a real populous area for deer but I’ve seen some nice ones in the area in the past. It’s close to the house so we have plenty of chances to go sit after school.

Participant

It’s a shame this thread went South with friction about letting kids use electronic devices to keep them occupied in the stand. To each their own.

We had 5 bucks follow each other out into the weeds in front of us Sat evening, smallest to largest. 2 last ones were both 130ish to 140ish, but the 2nd to last was very symmetrical and presented a better shot opportunity. Missed shot and they all scattered. Sun night. Different kid. Different little buck. Same result. Mornings are cooler and more pleasant to sit, but we see less deer. If the temps drop like they’re supposed to next week, we might venture to a 2-man stand in the timber.

The kids get bored really quickly and can’t sit still to save their lives, so I typically hunt with them out of a big 20′ tall water tank blind that I built a few years back. It’s very forgiving. Kids can move around a lot and make quite a ruckus b4 deer usually take any notice.

Best of luck to everyone dedicating their time to the next generation of fellow hunters.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.