Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Youth Deer Season

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Each kid is different and you have the let them decide how they want to go. The heat is going to suck but with our schedule I will get them out because you kind of have to when you can.

I think you do what ever it takes to make it fun and keep them involved. My older boy was hit or miss for a while. He would always go but I never got the feeling he really loved it. I am not sure when the switch flipped but he killed a 130″12 with a muzzy last year and a small 5 point with a bow last year at 11. He even skipped a basketball game to shoot the small buck.

I had both boys with me in Canada on a bear hunt a month ago. I would take one boy out with me while my dad would fish with the other. We hunted 3 days before we killed a bear and I think we had over 25 hours in the stand. My younger son who has always been a machine sitting out but he got antys after a few hours. My older boy that used to be hit or miss was a machine. I bet he had 18 hours of the 25 with me and he was in the stand when I arrowed my bear.

I have a lot of friends that are amazed at how much my kids like it now. I have always made it about them, cold we leave, bored we leave, hungry we leave. I let them decide what they want out of the hunt. Ya it may sound soft to the leather skinned old farts on here but it worked for me. Kids these days have so much more available to them so it is harder.

I laugh and am shocked that I love the stuff so dam much because my dad dragged me through some real s#$#$#.

nater3nater3
    Participant

A lot of talk about hunting on Saturday. Am I mistaken? I thought the youth season starts the 17th on Sunday.

Participant

Quote by: nater3

A lot of talk about hunting on Saturday. Am I mistaken? I thought the youth season starts the 17th on Sunday.

Youth season is 16th, the dates on this web page home are for last year.

Participant
    Participant

I’ll have my 2nd oldest up in a stand early tomorrow morning. When it’s still warm like this, mornings are more comfortable to hunt than evenings, IMO.

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

I’ll have my 2nd oldest up in a stand early tomorrow morning. When it’s still warm like this, mornings are more comfortable to hunt than evenings, IMO.

I agree but unfortunately I will be coaching football!!!!

Weather looks terrible tomorrow rain on and off.

Participant

Had a young buck meander around us for a few mins b4 shooting time, but didn’t stick around. Beautiful morning.

Participant

We saw a buck, a doe and a fawn, and a coon. When sneaking back to the house we unknowingly snuck to within 20 yards of a bobcat. First one I’ve seen while hunting, my boy was pretty fired up and so was I!

Participant

Quote by: mr.icefishing

We saw a buck, a doe and a fawn, and a coon. When sneaking back to the house we unknowingly snuck to within 20 yards of a bobcat. First one I’ve seen while hunting, my boy was pretty fired up and so was I!

Sweet!

Saw 2 more small bucks on the move and called it quits around 8:20.

Participant

Wanted to stay out longer but Logan had to poop. Lol! Wasn’t willing to poop in the woods.

Participant

I have 2 girls. One wanted to go youth hunting so we did a few times. Then she decided that other things were more fun. The other one saw a deer get gutted and was like, uhh, thanks but no thanks. They both eat deer meat which is good enough. The youth season in Iowa is the worst possible dates. We tried South Dakota where you can use rifles and hunt for a few months. Tag price? $10 a few years ago.

Participant

We had a couple does and fawns come through and then a group of toms, but nothing he wanted to shoot. Maybe next time . . . .

Participant

Quote by: mr.icefishing

People spend decades and never see a bobcat! That’s awesome.

Participant

Seeing the bobcat was so great! The only other 2 I’ve seen were in my traps.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

If my kids can’t be in the stand without their ipad (well we don’t have an ipad anyway) they won’t be in a stand. It’s pretty hard to learn anything when you’re not paying attention and don’t give me it’s a different generation thing. The only difference is that the parents don’t make kids do what they don’t want to do. We’re not doing them any favors or teaching them anything by giving them what they want. It’s no wonder so many kids are having such are hard time adjusting to real life these days.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.