Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Youth Deer Season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone making it out this weekend for the youth deer hunting season? Anyone planning to use a new (or old) rifle shooting straight walled cartridges? Hoping to go out with one of my kiddos this weekend to see if we get lucky and get in range of some deer. I don’t expect to be picky as it would be their first time out. Planning to use the new lever action in .357 magnum. We’ve been practicing at the range with good results all the way out to 100 yards.

I’ve been trying to explain the different scenarios that may play out, what a deer’s anatomy looks like on the inside, and what would constitute a good, ethical shot on a deer. Hopefully these lessons are being absorbed and we can have some success this weekend. If not, we’ll keep trying as long as time and other factors permit.

Participant

I will see. We have football practice at 8:30 on Saturday morning. I would like to get out that night and hunt and then possibly Sunday morning but we will play the weather by ear. It is going to be hot.

Participant

Quote by: maxx

I will see. We have football practice at 8:30 on Saturday morning. I would like to get out that night and hunt and then possibly Sunday morning but we will play the weather by ear. It is going to be hot.

Yeah, we have sports on Saturday morning also and I’m hoping to go out Saturday around dusk. It has been dry for like 2 months now and then of course there is some rain in the forecast for the youth deer season opener. We will have to see if it actually rains or not. We’ve been without rain for so long that I will have to see it to believe it! We may still go out regardless.

On another note do you let your kids bring their mobile phone, tablet, or whatnot to help them stay entertained? Seems they might get bored just sitting for what might be a few hours especially if we don’t see anything!

Participant

Whoa, I must be getting older faster than I thought. An electronic device to keep a kid from getting bored? When my son was small and he started going out with me and then out to hunt with me, there was not anything like that, we talked about the experience of being out doors and I used this time to educate him on a lot of topics.

Not saying this is a bad thing, to each to his own, but it’s probably not something I would do today even with grandkids.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Yeah, we have sports on Saturday morning also and I’m hoping to go out Saturday around dusk. It has been dry for like 2 months now and then of course there is some rain in the forecast for the youth deer season opener. We will have to see if it actually rains or not. We’ve been without rain for so long that I will have to see it to believe it! We may still go out regardless.

On another note do you let your kids bring their mobile phone, tablet, or whatnot to help them stay entertained? Seems they might get bored just sitting for what might be a few hours especially if we don’t see anything!

I do let them bring a phone or an Ipad.

Say what you want it keeps them entertained and quit longer. Each boy is different and it depends on what is going on vs how much they play on it.

Don’t worry what others think. I honestly probably stay out longer and kill more things now because of a phone. I myself get antsy after an few hours so it is nice to have for me personally. I honestly don’t give a crap what anyone thinks about it.

Participant

Say what you want it keeps them entertained and quit longer. Each boy is different and it depends on what is going on vs how much they play on it.

Don’t worry what others think. I honestly probably stay out longer and kill more things now because of a phone. I myself get antsy after an few hours so it is nice to have for me personally. I honestly don’t give a crap what anyone thinks about it.

I don’t really know of any kids under 10 years of age who would be excited to sit for hours in the woods to stare at the trees in near total silence when they could be at home playing the latest and greatest games on their device. I will probably bring something along to help liven up some of the down time while waiting to see if anything shows up.

Participant

Quote by: tracyiowa53

Whoa, I must be getting older faster than I thought. An electronic device to keep a kid from getting bored? When my son was small and he started going out with me and then out to hunt with me, there was not anything like that, we talked about the experience of being out doors and I used this time to educate him on a lot of topics.

Not saying this is a bad thing, to each to his own, but it’s probably not something I would do today even with grandkids.

I’m sure with the advent of the printing press, came people who thought bringing a book in the blind with you were pansies, too.

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I agree. With as many things as are available for kids to fill their time these days – sports, music, clubs and organizations, tv, internet, video games, etc – how can anyone reasonably expect them to choose to pursue the most boring one? That would be hunting for hours in the cold and seeing nothing. Yes yes yes we all know not every hunt is successful and kids need to learn that. And they will someday, heck I re-learn that all the time. But it really helps getting them ‘hooked’ if you don’t strike out too many times. In sit and wait style hunting, animals bagged goes up with time spent afield. Maximize your chances, by maximizing time afield, by creating some entertainment when there isn’t any. I know to some the sun rising, the birds chirping, the squirrels cutting etc is entertainment but let’s be real, today’s kids aren’t gonna share that view. Most won’t, anyway.

With all the reports around the country about how when a hunter dies, he is not replaced by a new one, how could anyone really argue against making hunting as kid friendly as it could possibly be? I’d rather bend my “morals” on electronics and kids than have no game to hunt and no land to hunt on in 40 years because the funding has dried up and we have zero pull politically.

Participant

We will be out for his 3rd year of youth hunting. He will be shooting our new T&C 460 S&W. Kind of sad its not with the muzzy again. But it is easier to clean. He does not get to take electronics, but dad does. We will be a little pickier this year after his about 135″ 10 point last year in my secret spot.

Participant

I have “guided” a few youths for Turkey and Deer. No blinds, no electronics. Most are happy to enjoy the outdoors and take a nap if they need to.

I do normally bring something to shoot after the hunt. Usually something they have not used before. Great thing is, a flintlock rifle gets the same interest and reaction as an AK 😀

Participant

Oh, Rossi Puma in .44-40 with a Marbles tang peep. I normally hold youth hunters to around 50 yard shots anyway, so the old .44-40 will be fine at that range. 2/3 ACWW and 1/3 plumbers lead makes a fine Deer boolit.

Participant

We have a wedding Saturday but I’m going to try to get my 9 year old out to get her first deer with a borrowed Marlin 44 mag.

Participant

Might want to take a cooler full of ice water. 90 degrees and sunny could be a little warm in a blind!

Participant

Quote by: Wapsi+Willy

Might want to take a cooler full of ice water. 90 degrees and sunny could be a little warm in a blind!

That is what the window air in the fur shed is for 😀 Couple of frozen milk jugs on the hams and some good cool down time.

The thick timber cover and mosquitoes ???? Now that takes some patience….

Participant

BoyAsgrow will be with his biological father this weekend, so I am heading to the farm to set up a double stand and a blind. The weather looks ok for the second weekend of the season with a cold front pushing in.

We will not be using a rifle this season 😥 But I dont think we will be too disadvantaged shooting the Savage. I plan to set up the stand so our shots should be under 100 yard, which is a chip shot with that shotgun.

Participant

You all are making me excited when I can get my litter out to do this. Still too small.

However, I would also echo sentiment on the heat! Next weekend might be a softer/cooler introduction? I know I will be cherry picking the day/time to do this. Take time off work (not everyone can, of course) to pick the ideal weather.

One of my fears is for them to not be interested, so I will do whatever I can, which includes toting along some electronics. I agree, not ideal, and it won’t be something that gets pulled out 5 minutes into a sit, but the reality is that is part of the culture and like some other people said, it can stretch a one or two hour limit till boredom to more like four or more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.