Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting You’re 1st deer. Tell your story

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

13 or 14yrs old. Group hunting with 8 or so of my dad’s friends. Group of deer came through the timber and a doe stopped broadside at about 20yds. In the excitement I shot her in the neck. She dropped in her tracks and I yelled loud enough that I scared off the rest of the herd before anyone else got a shot off.

They didn’t try to get me to bite the heart but told me that it was tradition to kiss the nose. I didn’t know any better so I did it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Circa 1970, college student hunting Missouri river bottoms with fraternity brother’s family and neighbors. Being a young healthy person with good direction sense, I was a frequent driver. Had a small buck cut between drivers, and after letting him clear the line, I used my only shotgun, 1200 Win with full choke to send him sliding into the snow at about 10 yards. A youngster hunting with his dad, ran up to the still kicking, but lethally hit deer, pumped a round into him and yelled “dad, I got one” Being young and selfish, I begged to differ, and that his shot was unnecessary. “Dad , we got one”. Too numerous to count deer have fallen to that gun, my successor guns, my bow and black powder, and I would probably thank the kid for not letting my wounded deer get away today. Pleasure is in planning a gun hunt, getting kids some shots, and being safe now, but I still enjoy the group hunt (even if I am proficient with a bow and fly rod as well) doc

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Did anyone take a bite from the heart of their first Deer? The group I was with said it was tradition and if you don’t it is bad luck. One of my friends didn’t take a bite and hasn’t had very good luck since…

I had to take a bite out of the heart on my first deer. I got a late start on deer hunting so I was around 21 or 22 when I shot my first deer. I was hunting with a friend’s family/group during second season shotgun. I’d went the year before with no luck and was aware of their “tradition”. Unfortunately, my first deer was gut shot so bad that there was no way I’d take a bite out of anything in that deer 😯 . Lucky for me the very next push, one of the 16 year olds in our group shot his first buck, so we both had to take a bite out of the heart. He went first and me seconds after. He promptly yakked it back up as I’m still chewing on my piece. Of course all the guys are giving him a hard time as I’m secretly trying not puke too. I still remember how warm and chewy it was and that intense metallic flavor still sticks with me. Of course years later I learn that very few of the guys in the group actually did it and they wanted to test the newbies to see if any of them actually would. I can’t tell you if it’s lucky or not, but I haven’t been skunked on shotgun season since then. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did anyone take a bite from the heart of their first Deer? The group I was with said it was tradition and if you don’t it is bad luck. One of my friends didn’t take a bite and hasn’t had very good luck since…

Here is the evidence of me taking a bite of the deer of my first deer.

riverriver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

CLASSIC! 😯

Thx TA
    River

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I can’t even imagine doing that… 😯 😯

My Dad told me that but I knew and he knew, I wasnt gonna do that.

Participant
    Up
    Down

It wasnt even that bad. Just a little chewy and minerally tasting. I thought they were leading me on, then about half the group passed that same heart around and took bites so it wasn’t like they were trying to prank me!

mmrowemmrowe
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I was proficient with firearms but I’ve never hunted deer before.  My wife grew up on a farm in Southern IA and hunted with her dad.  2011 and couple of years after we got married, she decided to get a shotgun tag for that winter. I decided that I would give it a shot too.

Shotgun season rolled around and we drove to the family farm. That afternoon we scouted out some stands that the bow hunter who hunts my inlaw’s farm let us use for the hunt. Late that day, my wife took a long shot at a decent sized buck near the stand I was planning on sitting in the next morning. She missed.

The next day, I hoofed out to that stand ,which was in a forest beween corn and CRP fileds.  This bow hunter really likes his hang-on stands high up as it was over 25 feet in a big locust.   My wife was scheduled to head out shortly after I was and would be sitting in a fence row nearby.   Being the 30 year-old novice hunter I was, my safety gear consisted of my two feet straddling the side of the stand.  Once my eyes were able to see enough of the ground when lighting conditions improved,  I realized how unsafe this was and pondered over how much it would hurt hitting the ground.  I took the sling off of my 870 and tied it to my belt and the seat.  Good to go.  In hindsite that likely would have only delayed my death by a few milliseconds.  Anyway, my main hunting attire was a pair of black coveralls that I distinctly remember smelling of Downey fabric softener.  Hmm, I think the deer might be able to smell that I thought.  Well, no stopping now, I got to get a deer.  Low and behold it must have been a west wind because about shooting time, a very large, very cautious buck slowly walked in from a cut corn field from the west (my right) and headed east down the trial leading right below my stand.  “He’s a typical sized buck” I thought.  I slowly rose to a standing position to turn and get a good shot.  As I did, he ambled up directly under my stand and stopped to smell a post.  When he did, his glance was directed right up at me.  He must have simultaneously caught a whiff of the fabric softener because he turned and began running back down the trail to toward the corn.  Too late, I was on him and dropped him with a shot through the spine.  It took another shot to finish him off and we didn’t have to track him.

I got on the phone to my wife and she immediately said excitedly, “I heard shots, did you get one.”  Little did I realize, she heard the shots while still laying in bed.   Anyway, to make a long story short, He measured 178″ and will likely be the biggest one will I ever get.  I still shotgun today but the bow hunting has got me hooked now.  I will post a pic later if possible.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by mmrowemmrowe.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by mmrowemmrowe. Reason: First pic is my amatuer "trophy hunter" pose
    cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Great story, love to see the pics.

I really don’t remember mine.  Been hunting SW Iowa shotgun 1st season for over 30 years.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.