Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting You’re 1st deer. Tell your story

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The story drmac22 had about his 2016 buck got me to thinking and brought on many pleasant memories of my hunts over the years. What
    a fantastic idea he had about including notes in an envelope with his mounts. I wish I had done that.

So what I would like to start is a thread where we can detail all of our first deer kills to kinda’ cement our stories in cyber stone. So to speak.
    I’ll start with mine. Hope you enjoy.

Lost in my memory is whether I was 14 or 15 all other details are as clear as glass. My Dad, one of his life long friends, and I where shotgun
    hunting this enormous timber in Madison county. It was the very early 70’s and the two of them briefed me, in general, about the lay of the
    land and basically said: “Here is where you’re going to sit. Stay put.” We didn’t drive the timber but instead relied on the surrounding hunters
    to move deer. My spot was at the top of a ridge in this gorgeous hardwood timber. As the darkness gave way to dawn I spied this gigantic oak.
    It’s limbs stretching straight out just a few feet above the ground. I perched myself comfortably on one perhaps a scary 5 feet of the ground.

Shortly I heard shot’s off in the distance and my senses steeled. Low and behold within moments a little antlered deer scooted towards me atop
    the ridge stopping broadside a mere 30 yards away. I was ready and I sent a slug from my 20 gauge Stevens pump. The little guy dropped like
    a bag of cement. Believe it or not I was calm and safety’d my gun, set it down propped against the old oak and hopped down out of the tree.
    About the time my feet hit the ground the little buck found his feet to. Well, his back two anyway. The son-of-a-gun was half way up on his back
    legs and pushing himself down the hill on his chest if you can imagine that. Undaunted I chased after him leaving my gun propped against the
    tree and reaching for my hunting knife I was going to jump him and cut his throat Turned out my knife was still on the dash board of the pick-up
    truck.

Realizing this I spun and ran back up the hill to retrieve my gun and by the time I did that and had ran back down the hill the little feller had
    reached the bottom of the swale and was pushing himself around and around in a large circle doing his best to survive. And there I was trying
    to track him and finish him off. Imagine drawing oblong circles with you muzzle. He finally tired and I delivered a slug to the back of his head.

It turned out my first shot had hit him in the neck. Apparently paralyzing his front legs. We did not have a head mount made due to the second
    shot. That and the tiny antlers. B)

I have to apologize for being so long winded but in relating this hunt it reminded me of my second hunt. Much shorter story.

Same timber, same ridge, cramps. Pants around my ankles I’m propped up against a tree. DEER! Tag filled. That ain’t one I’m going to tell my
    grand kids until they get a little older.

Hope to hear some of your stories

Thx,
    River

Participant
    Up
    Down

Mine too was about in early 70’s right after high school graduation, can’t remember the exact year. My dad did not deer hunt and went with the dad of a friend. He took me out in the snow and said to wait here and shoot any deer that comes by. I hadn’t waited 15 minutes and here came the deer right to me. A doe came right up the trail at me, stopped at about 15 yards and I shot her head on (with my brand new 870 Wingmaster Pump) and she dropped in her tracks. Then the other deer with her ran off about 40-50 yards and I shot the other 4 shells at them without hitting any.

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So on Jan 2nd 2010 I met jeremy and tyler at McDonalds… drove to our first spot for a sit in the stand…. it was -20 deg with a wind chill of -40!!!!! jthe camera froze up and made it imposible to film any of the hunt… we sat for 1 1/2 hours…. and after not seeing anything…. and frozen feet jeremy and tyler decided that we would have to resort to deer drives. This spot that we were in originially sat in is usually a hot spot and if no deer are moving there then most likley no deer are movin period…

the first field that we went to is another hot spot… we did 4 different drives on this property and the deer never left the field… just ran circles… somewhere around 30+ deer out of that field.. and a nice 150″ buck that jeremy and i jumped on our way to post for the drive but no shots… tyler and jeremy needed helmets and shoulder pads as they were takin turns doing the drives… deer were literally 3 yards away from them!! of course as we didnt have a gun or bow in hand…

finally as jeremy was struggling on decision making…. deciding how to drive this property best with one driver and one shooter is tough… finally tyler and jeremy decided to just give it a try…

As jeremy and I were walking to the post 8 deer jumped out of the bottom finger … jeremy quickly told me to sit down as we were in a good spot but not ideal… if we were to go any further the deer would have left for good… they held up a fence line connecting the two pieces of timber… with tyler on his way i knew that they would turn back to us… after a few mins the deer began runnig back down the hill to the finger of timber …

then the show started!!!

Wave after wave came running out of the timber and all i could hear was alan sayin..”this is so cool!!” … the deer kept comin and all held up by the creek.. about 145 yeards way..

as the deer started trotting up the hill anywhere between 120 to 140 yard a way i told alan that we woulnt be shooting at those deer because we had 4 coming just right that would give us a shot… then i saw the buck…. i then changed my mind… 130” 8 point came out of the trees followed by another deer 10 yards behind… i told alan to get his gun up and take the shot…

the deer wasnt moving fast at all but at a slow trot… when I pulled up the gun… I found the first deer that came into the scope… put it on MY shoulder and led him a bit until I was comfortable and squeezed off the shot!!! at first I thought I missed… but as tyler met up with us on top of the hill..Jeremy went to check for blood…. it didnt take long to find the good spray… since jeremy didnt see where the deer was hit… but had a good idea… tyler and jeremy decided to back out and give him an hour or so just in case..jeremy and tyler didnt want to make a mistake and bump his deer and make the track job longer than necessary…

We drove back to Marshalltown to get jeremy’s card for the camera and then out to find the deer!! We knew that there was dark blood and alot of it… with the windchill hoovering around -30 degrees that the deer wouldnt last long at all. Turns out that the deer was this shed antler buck and ran only 80 yards!! jeremy ranged the shot at 135 yards and to make it better… DOUBLE LUNG!!

8 years later i got me a bow and gonna give bow hunting a shot and hope to get 1 again

Fort dodge

Participant
    Up
    Down

I was a late bloomer to deer hunting. December 2005, nothing really special of a story. We were pushing through an ox bow slough. A deer got up and headed to me. I missed with the first 4 slugs in my gun. I told myself to focus and the last one hit. Didn’t deer hunt for another couple yhears after that. Shot another with my shotgun and really didn’t care for it. Fast forward a couple years, drinkikng with some buddies I bought a bow off eBay and have been a bow hunter since!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I shot several deer with shotgun and decided it was not hunting just shooting so I did as Asgrow did and got a bow and decided to actually hunt the deer and as he said a bow hunter since. Not much of a story on my first deer, the pushers ran them by and shot a 10 pt buck. Quit shot gunning and will never return. Too much respect for the deer I guess.

ihuntducksalot72ihuntducksalot72
    Participant
    Up
    Down

November 29th, 1995…I was 13 years old. It was my second year bow hunting. I hunted my grandparents farm and a few of their neighbors places in North-Central Iowa. I had a lot of ground to hunt but that ground at the time didn’t hold a lot of deer. The rut was pretty well over and they weren’t moving so my uncle volunteered to make a slow walk through a bedding area, while and I would sit with my bow watching and area the deer tended to funnel. (yup, a deer drive with a bow) Some does went through right as I got there, but never offered a shot. I had sat just a few more minutes, when I spotted a monster buck, the biggest I’d ever seen and the biggest I’d see in the woods for several years, just standing in the thick stuff about 20 yards away. No clue when or how he got there. I never heard or saw a thing. He didn’t know I was there, but was just froze and not moving. I was able to draw my old laminate limbed, round wheeled American brand bow without him seeing me, and was waiting for him to take a step or two when I caught movement about 30 yards to my left. I was already drawn and I slowly turned to look. About 30 yards away standing the middle of a logging trail was a scraggly basket rack 7 point buck. There wasn’t even a moment of hesitation, I didn’t feel torn at all. There was a monster 12 point buck 20 yards away and I pulled off him settled the pin on the 7 point and let the muzzy tipped, camo-colored, pink and yellow fletched, Easton 1916 arrow fly! (don’t ask my why my fletchings were that color??) That arrow seemed to hang in flight forever, and then it sunk in right behind the shoulder, buried through to the other shoulder, snapped off and popped out! The deer lunged up on his back legs and came straight down on his face and last I saw his back legs were going like windmills and he was sliding on his chest through the brush. When I turned back the big buck was gone, just a like he’d come with out a sound. I still sometimes if that deer was even real.

My uncle came through in a minute or two and I was happy to report what had happened. I was usually a pretty calm kid, but I was about bouncing off the tree trunks I’m sure. We went back to the house to get the truck and both my Grandfathers rounded up so they could come along to see the deer. There was barely any tracking and we found him quick, got him gutted and pulled him to the lane where we took a pile of pics. Both my Grandfathers were outdoorsman, both had hunted the first Iowa deer season, but neither were bow hunters and neither had hunted in some time. I think there were some jokes about how I one upped them being the only person in the family that had shot a deer with a bow.

I moved about 3 months ago and was going through some boxes when I found the some old pics of a kid about six inches shorter than I am now, about a 150 pounds lighter, with a full head of red hair is holding that bucks antlers and smiling ear to ear. I barely remember what the I looked like or many of the details about myself at that age, but I’ve never forgot that moment the arrow seemed to hang in mid air, the sound when it hit, or sight of that buck lunging into the brush.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I bought a bow, went hunting, realized I wasn’t self-righteous enough, went back to gun hunting.

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It was 2005 and I was nine years old. I was hunting the youth season with my dad and a muzzle loader. We had walked over a small hill and were about 100 yards from our stand. As we crested the hill maybe 12 white tails were running from being bedded by the stand..DOH! As we got into the stand, we realized two yearlings had not ran with the other day and we still milling around perhaps 75 yards from us. We had sat for 30-45 minutes when I started to get antsy…I whispered to my dad, “They would be good eating” and I was told shoot whatever I wanted. So I settled the cross hairs and pulled the trigger. The little guy dropped in his tracks but I was far from stoked…

His sibling was still standing there and I heard a scared bawl from the deer. Me being little, I lost it. I was crying and refused to go over to the deer. So my dad climbed down and went over to him while spooking the other deer. Long story short, my shot was really good and we concluded that the other yearling had made the bawl.

After all that happened my dad thought he had ruined me for hunting in the future by taking me when I was too young. He’s very happy, as am I, that that wasn’t the case. Some of my best memories are from being in the woods and hanging out in between hunts! Probably a better story is my first time hunting..

Love the stories guys!

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I grew up in the 60’s & early 70’s, dad never deer hunted but we were serious duck, goose, pheasant and squirrel hunters with an occasional January fox hunt. (duck and pheasant openers were the only excusable absence from Sunday school or church 😉 ). I loved my 1st and 2nd dogs and trained them year round, everyone who duck/pheasant hunted with us was in awe. My point is you don’t deer hunt with dogs so I wasn’t much interested in it until my 1st dog died in 1982.

Now about deer. I always had shot archery so friends exposed me to bow hunting but at ages 14 through 19 I only went a few times a year. My heart wasn’t in the deer thing but I became very hooked on watching nature from a tree stand. Anyway in 1983 early one October morning after a night of closing down the bars, I was 1/2 asleep in my tree along the East fork of the Des Moines river when I heard water splashing behind me. I looked over my left shoulder and standing there on a sandbar in the early morning light was a small 7 point buck. I let the arrow tipped with a wasp cam-loc fly from my PSE. He bolted over to my side of the river & up a very steep bank to crumble about 25 yards in front of me along a fence & field lane that I could drive my LTD right up to. Very accommodating. It was a special milestone to me, my knees shook and I was on top of the world.

However now 35 years and many deer later that 1st deer is no more special than my 1st duck, goose, pheasant, fox & squirrel. Moral of my story is bow hunting has been a blast for me but it is more of a solo sport. The memories of camaraderie of good dogs and hunting buddies is more priceless to me.

nuff said

Participant
    Up
    Down

Back in 1978, my best friend and I were walking a timber. He was on the outside edge, I was maybe 50 yards in. He jumped some pheasants, yelled over asking if I had any birdshot on me. I yelled back that I did, looked and saw a young buck run right up to me. I had my Winchester Model 37A single shot 12 gauge, put the bead on his front shoulder, let the hammer go. It busted his front shoulder, he takes off on the three legged run. I shot at him again, though it wasn’t needed. While skinning the buck, I found a 20 gauge slug under the hide on the back of his neck. Looking closer, someone had shot him in the mouth. I got some grief that I shot him in the mouth, but I was shooting a 12 gauge. I had that rack until I cleaned out the shed last year, sold off a bunch of old antlers. I don’t think I even took a picture of that deer.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

I bought a bow, went hunting, realized I wasn’t self-righteous enough, went back to gun hunting.

😆 😆

I once bought a fly rod and thought the same so now I buy Powerbait in bulk.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First day ever deer hunting about 1992, I was 16 or so. My buddy’s family bought some property and got to talking about deer hunting with him and I was in.

I sat in an old stand probably built 20 years prior.Nobody saw anything in the morning, but I didn’t want to quit. Everyone else quit and I remember taking a nap at my buddies house as I didn’t sleep the night before being so excited. Within a half hour getting in my stand for the afternoon, here comes an 8 pt walking in for a perfect broadside shot at about 30 yards. I was thinking, “should i shoot this thing, oh heck , i guess so.” With the gun resting on the stand I took a shot with my 3inch 12 guage slug (too much recoil). Without having any idea how a hit deer reacts, I thought I completely missed it as he took off on a sprint the way he came, so I stood up in my 30 foot stand and emptied the gun of the 3 inch shells damn near making me fall out of the stand. Hands were shaking so bad by now that reloading was damn near impossible. I dropped a shell or two and without thinking climbed down the stand AFTER I loaded gun. I ran up the hill to look not knowing what to expect and there was my expired buck with one hole in him from the first clean kill shot. The woods echoed with a big “Wooo!”

My friends dad made his way over to check it out and asked me what I was going to do next. I had no idea, or a knife or anything else. To this day, I thank him for giving me a knife, sitting on a log and making me do it all myself while he offered tips to help me. After it was all said and done, it looked like I massacred 30 deer by slitting their throats. Blood was everywhere, but I liked it and I was hooked. The grin covered the blood up.

Participant
    Up
    Down

X2X2 LOL !!!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I also was a late bloomer to the deer hunting game, but am a pretty quick learner. So I bought a tag for the first shotgun season more than a month in advance and bought a rifled barrel with iron sights for my Remington 870 pump shotgun. Since I’m a strong believer in being prepared, I practiced at the range out to 50-100 yards until I felt I had good enough groups. I then Googled the proper spots to shoot a deer from different angles. I also looked up how to field dress a deer, watched several videos on the process, and printed out actual instructions that I could follow. I got permission to hunt a family friend’s property down by the river and, after a bit of pre-season scouting, I located a spot behind some downed trees that provided a bit of a natural blind and that had a view of what I believed were a couple intersecting deer trails.

Then as luck would have it the temperatures plummeted before the first shotgun deer season and the high forecast for opening Saturday was a few degrees below zero. I was determined to make it out regardless since I had put in the time and effort to prepare for this moment. So I went out a bit before daylight that Saturday morning, made my way to my chosen spot, and proceeded to freeze my butt off. Despite wearing several layers of clothing and having a couple thermal hand warmers, my hands and feet were starting to become numb and I was afraid I might get frostbite. I don’t recall the exact time, but it was getting close to 9 am or thereabouts, I still hadn’t seen a deer, and the cold was starting to become unbearable. Rather than throw in the towel I decided that I was going to do some push-ups to try to stay warm. So I put my shotgun in a secure spot and get down and start counting them out. Then after a couple push-ups I look up and suddenly see a deer standing at the bottom of the hill and looking right in my direction! I freeze and then slowly try to move to a sitting position so I can pick up my gun and get it aimed in the right direction. However, the deer must have seen my movement as it then turned and bolted back down the trail and away from my position. I sit there for a while cursing my inability to handle the cold and eventually decide to head home to warm up for a bit and reassess the situation.

After resting and warming up for a bit, I decide I’m going to give it another go that day and bundle up again for a late afternoon sit. I make my way back to my hideout and again sit and wait to see if any deer show up. Then after maybe an hour or so I see movement to my left and a deer is ambling across my field of view. I see that it is going to cross an opening about 50 yards away where I have a clear shot, so I aim my shotgun at that opening and wait for the deer to come through. When it crosses my line of sight I fire and then see the deer jump straight up in the air, come back down, and then turn and bolt into the woods. I tried to follow its path as much as I could, but then quickly lost sight of it. Since my research indicated you should wait a bit for the deer to expire, I looked at the time and waited as long as I could which was probably only about 20 minutes or so. Then I ambled down, found blood and a trail and started to follow the trail. I travelled maybe 40 yards or so when I finally spotted it lying on the forest floor. I don’t remember exactly what I did at that moment, but I remember a flood of elation that involved getting down next to the deer and giving thanks for such a magnificent creature. So I get out my printed directions and proceed to try to field that deer by following it step by step. It probably took me a lot longer than it should have and I ended up with a bloody piece of paper from picking it up so many times in the middle of the process, but I eventually got all the vitals out and got it done. I thought I had shot a doe, but it ended up being a button buck. At that time the only thing I had was a deer drag as I didn’t even have a deer cart or sled. I ended up dragging that deer bit by bit up a long incline to get it out of the river valley and loaded up into my dad’s pickup.

I don’t know if there is a whole lot special about my story other than having a sense of accomplishment from being self-taught and getting it all done by myself. The deer itself was hauled off to the meat locker the next day and converted into some of the best deer sticks and summer sausage I have had!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I was 14 years old. It was my third year hunting. My first year I never pulled the trigger and my second year I missed a doe.

The place I hunted you had to submit for a hunter choice permit. If you didn’t get the hunters choice permit you could kill a doe on Monday or Tuesday. This was back in WI.

That year we got a ton of snow. My old man killed a really nice 8, proly 120″ but man that was big back in the day. It was his first really good deer. He killed it on Saturday. We didn’t see squat on Sunday. Monday morning we headed out. My dad was hunting with me but I had his gun, back then it was a 1 deer state. Our equipment wasn’t great. My boots were shot after the first day so he gave me his Sorels and he wore work boots. There was about 18″ of snow. We hiked up a pretty good ridge. He made it about an hour and his feet got cold. He told me to wait it out as long as I could, he was going back to the truck to warm up.

I think he made it to the bottom of the ridge when I saw a big cloud of snow. The deer came burning in and stopped about 40 yards away. At first I thought I wasn’t going to shoot her, the snow was up to her belly and made her look small. Then she turned her head and it was a he, a little spike that is. With him looking in my direction I raised the gun saw and entire deer in the scope (it was probably turned up to high) and I fired. As the gun lowered back down form the recoil all I could see in the scope was four legs up dangling.

My dad was at the bottom of the hill and yelled if I got it, I said yup. I ran over to where the deer was. I shot the thing in the jaw and kind of blew his head up. I think I just saw deer and pulled the trigger and he was looking at me. Not text book in any way but the first is always the hardest.

riverriver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Oh man. Some really great stories. I bet every one of you smiled while you related that first experience. I know I like reading about it.
    Keep it coming cause the love for the sport is what it is all about. What better than the memories.

River

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

😆 😆

I once bought a fly rod and thought the same so now I buy Powerbait in bulk.

I’m even worse. I buy live bait wholesale.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did anyone take a bite from the heart of their first Deer? The group I was with said it was tradition and if you don’t it is bad luck. One of my friends didn’t take a bite and hasn’t had very good luck since…

Participant
    Up
    Down

Late 80’s, about 14 years old on our family farm. Sat in a draw in the morning that deer liked to walk through, shot a doe within the first hour or so. I ran the 1/4 mile or so to the milk barn to tell my parents. As great of a feeling as that was, it doesn’t compare to sharing that experience with my kids. So far 3 of the 4 have shot deer. The youngest is 9 and wants to go next year.

Participant
    Up
    Down

My first year of deer hunting was my Jr year in college 1996. My Dad had a 28 acre “farm” of hayfield and pasture out in the country near New Hartford. Since he only had 28 acres we just sat along the property hoping they would cross his property as they moved from near by timbers. None of my family members except my younger brother were hunters so we pretty much taught ourselves in high school. It was the last day of shot gun season and I had just taken my last semester exam at UNI. It was snowing like crazy and I decided what the heck it’s the last day. As I drove down the lane, I could see some silhouettes in the hay field. I parked, got my gear on, and snuck around the barn. It was really snowing now and I was having a difficult time seeing the deer. I crept through the grove of trees to get closer and shelter myself from the snow and the deer. I leaned against a tree and picked the largest deer of the three. It dropped right in it’s tracks. It was about 75 yards. A large spiked buck. I was ecstatic and then the “oh crap what do I do now” feeling started to sink in. Luckily my roommate was a deer hunter and had experience gutting and processing. He and my brother were waiting for a call to see if I got one. They came out and helped gut the deer and get it hung in the barn. They along with our other roommates helped process that deer the next weekend. As we did, we decided the following year we should all hunt together. That started our group. We have hunted shot gun season together every since for 21 years. One of the guys has a family farm in southern Iowa that we hunt every year. People complain about shotgun season, but for me, it is about those 5 other guys and the weekend we spend laughing and telling stories. I often say it was that first deer that started it all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.