Your opinions please?2019-04-13T13:51:11-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Your opinions please?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is the fifth time I’ve tried to start this post, maybe the fifth (or sixth, I’ve lost track) is the charm???

So on private ground, actually my dad’s farm, I have a favorite spot to call turkeys near the NE corner of the farm.  I think I’ve called turkeys every year I’ve had a tag and hunted it.  I’ve gotten a few people their first turkey at that spot.  However, being near the “corner” of the property means neighbors.  Back during deer season (when I was laid up with knee surgery) someone on the neighbor’s ground to the east put up a portable blind along the property line and left it up all bow season.  Now during turkey season, the same appears to be true.  It’s not the neighbor who hunts, but someone they’re letting hunt.

So here’s the question, when you have no idea when someone will be in the blind, since it’s been left up, how would you hunt your favorite spot, or would you hunt your favorite spot?

I would be setup a little over 100 yards away to the west and a little north.  My decoy would be south of me, so west of the blind.  There’s a small strip of cover between us.  I can easily setup so I wouldn’t be shooting in the direction of the blind.  But I have no idea if the guy would trespass if he heard or saw a tom or jake, or shoot onto my dad’s property, which would mean he could be shooting in my direction…  I normally don’t use a blind, I’m usually tucked into brush along a fence line.  If I used my blind that would be a bigger visual indication I was there, but people get tunnel vision…

So I’m curious what other people would do, or actually do, in this situation?  Skip a favorite spot all season because of a left setup blind?  Or would you setup and if you don’t hear any hen calling then start calling?

Unfortunately because of the lay of the land i can’t see if there are any decoys unless I get close to the blind and/or expose myself on a sidehill from my dad’s side.  And I don’t want to get that close/exposed and mess up their hunt if they’re in the blind.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I should add, in bow season  the guy left up a deer decoy most the season also, so a decoy near the stand unfortunately wouldn’t mean the stand was in use…

And this question isn’t just for turkey season I guess.  I call that corner for coyotes in the winter with a NE wind, because that small strip of cover funnels the coyote perfectly for a shot.  With the blind left there all bow season, which coincides with fur season (I’ve shot a number of reddish coyotes on my dad’s that I’ve gotten $30-40 for), and it’s a good bobcat setup spot, so wondering how to handle the situation ongoing.

It’s perfectly legal to leave the blind up all season, I’m just wondering how you handle the situation when someone does.  And actually last winter there were blinds left up on both the west and east property lines of my dad’s place, which didn’t effect me because I was laid up.  But I shouldn’t be laid up next winter (getting old, so who knows LOL….) so a situation I’ll have to deal with.

Participant

Hunt your spot and if they trespass, deal with them accordingly.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I have a neighbor with 5 acres who put up a blind on the fence line next to my 40 acre alfalfa field for deer. I had promised another friend he could hunt it with his daughter. I called the neighbor told them the other guy was hunting and to be careful. Neighbor asked if he could shoot on my place I said sure if my hunters could shoot on his. He paused then said he would stay on his own place. I told my hunters the situation and to respect his property but to go ahead and hunt carefully. When my hunters finished I let the neighbor hunt anyway.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

yeah, i should treat it no different than a permanent blind or shooting house.  and just assume it’s empty, because it is most the time.

Participant

If you’re 100 yds away as you say, I would definitely hunt my favorite spot. I’ve done it on the property I hunt, if others are around or across the fence I treat it  like public land, keep on hunting but keeping safe at the same time.   I’ve set my blind or sitting spot in similar areas before, not to shoot across the fence but to have a good view back into the property I’m hunting.  Also, it’s good to talk to the hunters using that blind if at all possible to talk through the situations that could arise.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!