Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Your opinions please?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

This is the fifth time I’ve tried to start this post, maybe the fifth (or sixth, I’ve lost track) is the charm???

So on private ground, actually my dad’s farm, I have a favorite spot to call turkeys near the NE corner of the farm.  I think I’ve called turkeys every year I’ve had a tag and hunted it.  I’ve gotten a few people their first turkey at that spot.  However, being near the “corner” of the property means neighbors.  Back during deer season (when I was laid up with knee surgery) someone on the neighbor’s ground to the east put up a portable blind along the property line and left it up all bow season.  Now during turkey season, the same appears to be true.  It’s not the neighbor who hunts, but someone they’re letting hunt.

So here’s the question, when you have no idea when someone will be in the blind, since it’s been left up, how would you hunt your favorite spot, or would you hunt your favorite spot?

I would be setup a little over 100 yards away to the west and a little north.  My decoy would be south of me, so west of the blind.  There’s a small strip of cover between us.  I can easily setup so I wouldn’t be shooting in the direction of the blind.  But I have no idea if the guy would trespass if he heard or saw a tom or jake, or shoot onto my dad’s property, which would mean he could be shooting in my direction…  I normally don’t use a blind, I’m usually tucked into brush along a fence line.  If I used my blind that would be a bigger visual indication I was there, but people get tunnel vision…

So I’m curious what other people would do, or actually do, in this situation?  Skip a favorite spot all season because of a left setup blind?  Or would you setup and if you don’t hear any hen calling then start calling?

Unfortunately because of the lay of the land i can’t see if there are any decoys unless I get close to the blind and/or expose myself on a sidehill from my dad’s side.  And I don’t want to get that close/exposed and mess up their hunt if they’re in the blind.

ropeknot
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just looking thru some older posts and saw this one with no one replying to you.  What did you do? Has anything changed?  How far would you be hunting from their setup ?  Anyway, I’m looking forward to this years turkey season, get bored sitting around this time of year.  Bought a crossbow very late this fall, hoped top take a deer during late muzzy but it never worked out, but did connect with a doe late in first shotgun season.  So also looking forward to next deer season as I’m over 65 and can hunt bow season and get an antlerless tag for my crossbow.

Whip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I actually replied to the original post. I think scruffy like many others has given up on IO.

Whip

Greg 57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I seem to have the same problem.

I have a small 20 acre piece that I have hunted for over 30 years. The only people that hunted was at the north east corner and they really didn’t hunt that close.

These last couple of years a person now hunts 20 yards off my SW corner. And another person or two, they have two tree stands about 30 years apart, hunt right along my south fence, about 50 yards from my tree stand that has been in the same spot for 25 years. And another person that is hunting along my east fence next to my pond and about 20 yards from another tree stand I hunt out of depending on wind conditions.

So I have been cut off, or they think all the deer are on that little strip of land.

So it would be interesting to know what you would do.

I know you asked the question first.

scruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I still pop in once a month LOL  😉

And I see we can rate posts, and my original from 2 years ago got a -1?   that’s funny!

Well, back in 2019, since i was hunting solo I mostly just hunted my place instead of my dads, which avoided any possible overlap between the guy hunting my dad’s east property line and me hunting my dad’s place.  And i ended up coaxing in a very nice big plump tom on my place and shotgunned it at like 10 steps with my old singleshot NEF 12 gauge.  Which was on my bucket list for that old shotgun.

This past 2020 seasons, both spring turkey and fall deer, whoever had been putting up a blind and leaving it the entire season, no longer hunted on the neighbors.  or at least they were no longer putting up a blind and leaving it out there for a month of turkey season and months of deer season.

that said, it’s been interesting lately.  I’ve seen more hunting pressure on many private spots than public spots…  with people packing stands in close on adjoining private property lines.  some of those deer stands I never saw a person in, almost like they were stood up to ward off other hunters from hunting on the private ground close to them.  Over several years my dad’s place has had a number of tree stands along different property lines, sometimes on trees that were on my dad’s side of the line.  I don’t think either of us ever saw a person in them.  On many of the farms I have permission to hunt coyotes on year round I’d keep tabs on where the stands went up, both on the ground I had permission and the ground I might call a coyote from, and i would glass them from the road or as far away as possible to see if anyone was in them, as I don’t want to try to call a coyote through another hunters scent and if they were in the area first, even on a different farm than I was hunting, I’d avoid calling the area and mess up someone else’s hunt.  Like i said, even if they were on a different farm I’d try to avoid messing them up.

now, I haven’t always received the same courtesy back from other hunters LOL.  I’ve had numerous times where I’ve had people run atvs and utvs past the spot I was sitting, had them drive trucks or jeeps out into fields and get out and yell and make noise, I’ve even had 2 occurrences over the last 25 years where someone  zinged a hunk of lead over my location…  It’s illegal to knowingly screw with other people’s hunt, but that doesn’t seem to stop folks from acting like disrespectful little turds….   But I figure karma plays out in the end.  If I treat people right, in the end I’ll be rewarded.  And those that treat others with disrespect will in end have fate repay them.

So in your case Greg, I’d do some scouting and patterning of not only the deer, but the other stands.  Maybe find out with a trail camera if anyone is using it.  If it’s not being used at all, then it’s just decoration.  If it is being used, then what days, maybe just weekends?  As knowing that will help predict its effect on deer movement.   If it’s just used on weekends then maybe midweek or end of week after things have settled your stands will have traffic like they have in past years.

You could also go a step farther, and talk to your neighbors and see who is hunting their place.  maybe it’s a relative, maybe it’s a friend.  they might say it’s only getting hunted on a holiday when the person is back or who knows.  It might be someone you could team up on some habitat improvement projects that could benefit both properties.

You could take it several different ways?  find out more about the other hunters and adjust/avoid their influence on the deer.  or go the other direction and try to partner with them, which might end up in a new friendship.  There’s some folks there’s no partnering with.  there’s bad apples out there.  But there’s a lot of good apples yet out there also.  😉

Larry Richard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just an aside to what was said about having given up on IO.  TONY BIBBS got wind of my impending retirement and called me Monday night.  We jawed and reminisced for nearly an hour!  I sneak in around here frequently, and still recognize some of the handles.  What ever happened to the Lost Post?  doc

Whip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

<!–more–>Looks like I jumped the gun a little. Nice to some familiar posters again. Scruffy, my neighbor put a blind right on my fence line. He has 5 acres next to me. I warn all my hunters to be careful and work around his blind. I was tempted to build an elevated shooting stand out of old power poles on my side but decided that wouldn’t be the neighborly thing to do.

Whip

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.