Yotes under the fence2018-12-19T08:12:46+00:00

Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Yotes under the fence

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Have a few places that I catch coyotes under fences. It seems that after the first catch its a rarity if I ever catch another at the same spot. I have lengthen the cable to 7 ft to try and keep it away from the hole when or if I have to dispatch it. To keep the blood to a minimum I shoot them in the side. Is there anything else a person can do in this situation or should I just move on.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I’ve never used a drag, but this sounds like the situation to try one?

Just thinking out loud.  I’m trying to think of any restrictions, have to check the regs. I would but on my phone now…

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Ok, i downloaded the regs on my phone and it says no drags on snares.  Are you using snares or using footholds???

Sounds like you are using snares, but maybe footholds with drags would be an option?

Sorry, not much help.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by scruffy scruffy.
    TheMini
    Participant

My thoughts would be that the initial set would be on travel trail route used by the coyotes on a regular basis, but maybe after the initial catch, the coyote scent left over is much more dispersed around the area.  This in itself should attract coyotes to the area, but maybe it turns the site into something different then a trail going under the fence, and they just don’t follow the trail as they might if the area wasn’t disturbed.  Just a guess….  Maybe set a couple of foot-holds on the perimeter area to see if you can get them that way on the follow-up.  Those coyotes are sure wary predators.  Good luck

KeokukCounty
    Participant

Yea Im using snares. The fence is a little less than 200 yds long with two crawl under holes. The field it self is pretty much short grass with a real nice cow trail going down the length of the fence. Trying to blend in a snare on the trail is a real pain for lack of cover. I have managed to get two snares in the trails and had success in both of them but with the lack of cover I cant see resetting them. If I had more tall grass around the trail I would be ok.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.