Wyoming Whitetail 2018-12-04T14:48:36+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Wyoming Whitetail

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last Friday was the last day of the late whitetail season at my place. I was in the shop cutting up a decent 8 point buck my son in law shot on Wednesday evening when I heard a pickup pull up. I stepped out of the shop to see a young couple get out of the truck. They asked if the wife could hunt deer she had a late season tag and was giving it one last shot before the end of the season which was in 45 mins. I said sure go ahead. I warned them about where my neighbors houses were and to take only safe shots. Earlier there had been about 50 whitetail deer in my field. When they pulled in my dog went nuts and his barking along with their vehicle pushed most of the deer out of the field. I told them to hide in the horse trailer I had parked by the haystack and they could shoot from it if anything came out. I went back into the shed and continued working on cutting up the deer. 10 minutes later I hear a gunshot. My first thought was accidental discharge. I ran out of the shed looked in the field and can see a deer laying with an antler sticking out of the snow about 250 yards out.  The wife was excited she had just killed this buck with her 6.5 creedmore rifle. Not an Iowa giant by any means but a good whitetail by Wyoming standards in our area.

Whitetail

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Never give up LOL!  One of the things that makes hunting great, if you never give up you can sometimes be granted a big success!  Can’t fill your tag from the couch. Great story Whip!

WhipWhip
    Participant

Scruffy I had been seeing this deer last summer while farming and all fall off and on. My son came home and hunted for 4 days hoping to get this one and never saw him. My son in law also hoped to shoot him but he ran out of the field chasing another buck 3 days earlier and since my son in law didn’t have time to continue hunting he shot a smaller buck . It would have been nice if they shot him but Im glad someone did get him. As my son said that buck could have been easily killed on the road by a car. My other neighbor doesn’t let anyone hunt and he was upset it was killed. He told another neighbor I was just letting anyone kill the big breeding bucks. Ruining the genetics. I try to let folks hunt that are polite and ask. I really think habitat is the key not genetics.

Whip

teton
    Participant

Whip, I admire you for letting polite and lawful people hunt your ground when they ask permission . Too many landowners do not understand how to manage wildlife and come hell or high water they will not change.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.