Wyoming coyotes, antelope, prairie dogs and so much more! (Pic Heavy) 2018-10-08T15:03:41+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Wyoming coyotes, antelope, prairie dogs and so much more! (Pic Heavy)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My buddy and I drew our first Wyoming antelope tags this year and headed out last Friday for a five day trip, staying in Glenrock, East of Casper.  We did a lot of homework and were able to get a couple of good shots and fill our tags Saturday morning. With the locker being right near where we were staying, we dropped off the heads/capes and the meat and left it to pick up the day we were leaving. This left us a lot of time to figure out other things to do. We took our turn at some prairie dogs, which was a first for my buddy. He was hooked pretty fast. Nothing quite like exploding varmints!  More importantly, we did a lot of calling for coyotes. We ended up with 5 dogs in 3 days of calling. I will say they were very big on average, definitely bigger than here in Iowa and had beautiful fur on most of them already.  Our altitude for calling ranged from 4,000 to 7,000 feet and was from the hills/mountains south of Casper all the way up into the Thunder Basin National Grasslands.  The walking was as breathtaking as the scenery! We also stumbled into a couple of rattlesnakes, which was exhilarating. I highly recommend the trip up to Whip’s neck of the woods!

buck1

Buck2

dog1

dog2

dog3

dog4

dog5

snake1

snake2

pdog

scene1

scene2

scene3

scene4

scene5

scene6

scene7

WhipWhip
    Participant

Wow you guys were busy. Looks a great safari was had by all. Now I don’t mind the antelope, pdogs, fox and rattle snake but those are my coyotes!!!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Whip Whip.

Whip

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Thanks to the mod for fixing it! I have NO idea how my post would end up as spam, but at least it’s posted now. It was a great time, and I highly recommend it! By the way, I am 99% certain I saw my first kit fox out there too. Can you confirm if that is what I would have seen Whip? Seemed awfully small to be a grey.

WhipWhip
    Participant

We have kit fox mostly in the southeast part of the state but it’s possible in Thunder Basin area.

<!–more–>

Whip

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Participant

Just tried to respond with pics from our trip out to the same unit but amazingly it disappeared. Must be hung up in “SPAM”. Anyway, if this posts…job well done.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

We have kit fox mostly in the southeast part of the state but it’s possible in Thunder Basin area. <!–more–>

This would have been north of Glenrock. We hunted all over after we filled our tags 🙂

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Just tried to respond with pics from our trip out to the same unit but amazingly it disappeared. Must be hung up in “SPAM”. Anyway, if this posts…job well done.

There must be some glitch with the coding in this system. Hopefully, it’s being looked into. Perhaps the mods will see this and get your post to come up. I’d like to see how the trip went.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Participant

Nice work! We were in Unit 26 from September 30 – October 4 and managed to fill 4 of 4 buck tags. Nothing big but being on public land in an area that we’ve never been before we are all pretty darn satisfied. Wish we could have had another 4 doe tags or 4 doe mule deer tags but it was not meant to be.
    One thing’s for sure the weather out there this time of year is crazy! 30’s over night and low 80s by noon, not to mention the 40mph guts of wind to rattle your tent all night long. Beautiful country none the less and awesome local people. Our group will continue to put Unit 26 as our second choice.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Congrats! We were there September 28th – October 3rd but after the 29th, we really weren’t in Unit 26 much since we were calling dogs. You know, with all those damn sheep, you would think the coyotes would be camped out around there, but they certainly weren’t. I think the full time trapper/hunters they hire for the sheep ranches do their part. I spoke with a rancher who is also a former gunner from a plane, which would be a blast.  Anyway, the bucks look awesome, and props to your group. We also considered the muley tags. They were all over the place!
    Out of curiosity, which Unit were you looking to for your first choice, if you remember?

WhipWhip
    Participant

Swift fox are not uncommon around Glenrock according to the Game and Fish so I bet that is what you saw.

Whip

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Swift fox are not uncommon around Glenrock according to the Game and Fish so I bet that is what you saw.

Cool! It was hiding in some grass and when I pointed it out to my buddy, it hid in a tube that runs under a two-track, back road we were walking down. That tube had to be maybe 8 inches wide. I was shocked at the diameter it could hide in, but it kept him safe from coyotes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.