Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Worm Bedding

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Question:

I have carpet in my boat and last summer, by accident, my firends spilled nightcrawlers on the carpet. This happened two different times. Big mess and got it cleaned up.

Do any of you buy your nightcrawlers and take them out of the dirt and put them in worm bedding?

Wondering if this may solve my problem. Hate shampooing carpet in boat. Anybody have ideas of how to use worms and not make mess?

Participant

Yes I will remove them from the dirt and put them in worm bedding. I will do this in advance so that when I go fishing the worms will have had time to get the dirt cleanse from their system. It take several days for the dirt to get clean out of them. That way when you use them your fingers will stay cleaner and like what happen to you if they get spilled easier to clean up.

Participant

That black dirt bedding they are packed in is a total freaking mess. My daughters and i pick up our own worms early in the spring, and subsidize when we forget or run low with store bought crawlers. Whenever possible, we transfer from that black crap to our bedding.

Participant

Bought 2 pound bag of beddin…..;Made in Wisconsin.

Found it keeps the worms clean and feeds them for over 30 days. Thanks guys, I think this may be the ticket for red worms or nightcrawlers.

No more dirt from JMC bait at Walmart—IT SUCKS!

Participant

Hello: Always got rid of that crap they put them in. I use Buss bedding, have for over 40 years. It’s a paper based bedding and it works great. If some gets spilled in the boat just let it dry and you can easily vacuum it out , no black goopy mess that is terrible to deal with . You cannot take night crawlers in to Canada packed in dirt it has to be a bedding like Buss . I know there are some peat based beddings but I think you would still get a goopy mess. Someone else may know more about that. When you mix it up make sure you use well water or purified water , no city water that has chemicals in it. Keep your crawlers cool 45 to 50 degrees go through them once a week and remove ones that don’t look healthy , and also feed them . I use a commercial worm food and have good big fat crawlers to use.. Good Luck. O – R

Participant

do you mind telling what brand worm food you are using and where you get it? :question:

Participant

Hello: Always got rid of that crap they put them in. I use Buss bedding, have for over 40 years. It’s a paper based bedding and it works great. If some gets spilled in the boat just let it dry and you can easily vacuum it out , no black goopy mess that is terrible to deal with . You cannot take night crawlers in to Canada packed in dirt it has to be a bedding like Buss . I know there are some peat based beddings but I think you would still get a goopy mess. Someone else may know more about that. When you mix it up make sure you use well water or purified water , no city water that has chemicals in it. Keep your crawlers cool 45 to 50 degrees go through them once a week and remove ones that don’t look healthy , and also feed them . I use a commercial worm food and have good big fat crawlers to use.. Good Luck. O – R

x2

A couple more pointers…

If you are maintaining a box of worms, always feed them, and NEVER put damaged worms back into your farm. Pull how many you think you will need from the farm and put them in a separate container for the outing. When you get back, carefully weed out any partial or otherwise damaged worms before putting back in the box.

Like Ron said, make sure you go through the farm thoroughly every week to look for the dead and or dying. Healthy worms should be slick, shiny, and react vigorously to touch. Worms with bedding sticking to them that are sluggish and “skinny” looking should be tossed immediately.

You know you have the bedding mixed right when you have pea-sized dough balls of bedding that the worms can easily maneuver inside. If it is too dry it will stick to them, and if it is too wet they will suffocate and die quickly. Too much moisture can also draw mold.

On cool nights after rains in late March or April, it is easy to pick up 10 dozen or more worms with a couple little helpers. My daughters and I can get almost a whole season of worms in a couple nights, and i find “yard worms” to be healthier and more robust than store bought.

Participant

Like outdoorsron, I use Buss bedding. I began selling nightcrawlers when I was about 10 and I’m now 66 and I remember using buss back then and ever since. I believe it contains food too.

stick500stick500
    Participant

that Buss bedding with the food already in it is amazing

I put either store bought or fresh caught worms in it and they seem to double in weight in about 3 days- no exaggeration!

wish I would have discovered that stuff years ago instead just putting them in moist newspaper

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.