Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Folks I need imputed. Just finished a new deck. Cedar. I know ‘jack’ about cedar other than I like it. I would like to keep the look, but I am getting varied opinions about staining, sealing, if, when, ect. Deck is 30′ X 10′. Spend lumber. Anyone have experience with deck like this?

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

My cedar turned dark gray. I have not put any thing on it since it was built in 81. Still holding up but looks old.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Leave it be till late summer so it dries out well then stain and seal it.

Participant

Quote by: medicdano

Leave it be till late summer so it dries out well then stain and seal it.

That’s the way I am leaning. Deck faces WS o full sun. I just have no exterior experience with cedar.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Technically, you dont have to do anything to it. But like was mentioned before it will turn gray. Whatever sealer you get do your homework and dont buy the cheapest one. There is always new products coming out, some good and some not.

Participant

I was a painter for 9 years and we always recommended waiting a few months for the wood to dry out then use an oil based or linseed based sealer. We had good luck with Flood CWF, Cabot, and Wolman F&P. Most quality finishes will only last 2-4 years, depending on a multitude of variables. We never had good/lasting results with Thompsons.

Participant

I’ve always been told to give it a season to weather then treat. I cant tell you how many cedar decks I’ve seen that have rotted from poor maintanence. I will say most of those were in shady area with moist conditions. Good Luck! Cedar looks nice but tricky to maintain.

Participant

1#. All lumber came from local lumber yard, no box. 1/8″ spacing between decking. Staggered 16′ , 5.5 “. All under supports treated lumber. Since full sun maybe treat this fall.

Participant

fresh installed cedar looks great but left untreated it will turn a dull weathered gray in short time. As with any wood exposed to the elements some sort of sealer will help preserve. In your case “Cedar” is best sealed with an oil based stain. Some of the best stuff out there is made by Cabot, goes by the name Australian Timber Oil. Comes in several color variations so you can likely find a color that contrasts with your home. Just rebuilt my cedar deck last month and stained this one, it looks way better than the unsealed cedar deck that I replaced.

Participant

Sikkens Cetol is a good product. I use it to stain my cabin in north Georgia. It is expensive though. Cabot also makes a very good sealant.

Participant

I spent a long weekend removing the semi transparent stain from my cedar deck with deck wash, power washer, then sander and then deck wash and brush. After a lot of research I decided just to go with Thompson Water Seal on the fresh surface. I put it on last spring and I thought the deck looked amazing, I really enjoy seeing the grain of the wood. It does lighten up/grey up some after time but so far I’ve just had to spray/brush another coat on in the spring and I think it looks great again. I intend to this annually as it doesn’t take much to go over it again in the spring. Beautiful, cheap, relatively easy and the water is always beaded up on the deck after a rain.

iowahunter78iowahunter78
    Participant

Don’t wait to seal cedar if you want it to stay the natural color. It’s has not been treated with anything. Seal it right away. Use a good clear wood toner with a high UV protection. Behr makes a good one. Thompsons is NOT a good choice. The easiest way to tell if it needs sealing is to sprinkle water on the wood. If it soaks in seal it. If it beads up leave it be.

Keymaster

iowahunter is correct ! Don’t wait . Unlike green treat material , cedar decking is kiln dried ! Left untreated it will gray . Products that I have used and sold , that I feel are quality would include Sikens , Flood by CWF , and Cabit . you want to have a colored pigment in your stain to give the deck a true UV protection . I would ‘NOT’ recommend Thompsens water seal . IF THE GRAY LOOK IS WHAT YOU WANT , THEN LET IT GO . GOOD LUCK

Participant

Quote by: Browtines%231

iowahunter is correct ! Don’t wait . Unlike green treat material , cedar decking is kiln dried ! Left untreated it will gray . Products that I have used and sold , that I feel are quality would include Sikens , Flood by CWF , and Cabit . you want to have a colored pigment in your stain to give the deck a true UV protection . I would ‘NOT’ recommend Thompsens water seal . IF THE GRAY LOOK IS WHAT YOU WANT , THEN LET IT GO . GOOD LUCK

Thanks. The wood is definitely cured.

Participant

Ken
    Well you no know it’s not too late to take that cedar off and put on composite!! 😮 😮 , I used Wollmanss stain, it seemed to go on pretty good, and looked good, lasted around tree years, this was on green treated Good luck sounds like quite a job.
    K-Ridge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.