Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Wolverine near Drakesville?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know Nov. 5th you can see a bunch of them in Iowa City.

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

wow I am going to Iowa City. I need to see a wolverine. Can you kill wloverines in Iowa? :mrgreen:

Participant

I heard that Hawks have a taste for Wolverine meat

Participant

I’m guessing it’s a big fat woodchuck.

Participant

There is no guessing, dont know why people keep tryin to say its somethin else. Believe it if you will, dont have to either but dont try to say what you think it was. Thanks!

Participant

About 30 years ago I saw porcupine dead along US59, north of Harlin. Called a CO and he said it probably fell off a load of lumber coming out or northern MN. Stranger things happen. 😕

Participant

Quote by: stitch

Post the damn video already……………………

Stitch, I believe what the OP meant was that his dad saw one running, then went home to find a video of one running online to confirm. I don’t think he meant that he, his dad, or anyone else for that matter, claims to have video of said wolverine. Correct, OP?

Participant

In the same vein as the anything is possible post, I wanted share an event that happened in our neighborhood when I was about eight. Hate to admit that was 55 years ago. Anyway there was a wolverine killed a few miles from our farm in the middle of summer. A farmer got off his tractor to have a closer look at the beast and it chased him right back onto the tractor. Long story short, they killed the animal and contacted DNR, think it was conservation commission then, who upon examination found the animal emaciated and in poor condition. The general theory was that it had been locked in a railroad lumber car and rode from Canada to Iowa. It made sense since the local lumberyard had just received several cars of lumber from Canada. So I guess anything is possible.

Participant

I wouldn’t doubt it to be a wolverine. I remember when I was about 10 years old a moose wonder down from minnesota and ended up outside the Ridgeway school in northeast Iowa

Participant

Quote by: Kangaroocry

Quote by: stitch

Post the damn video already……………………

Stitch, I believe what the OP meant was that his dad saw one running, then went home to find a video of one running online to confirm. I don’t think he meant that he, his dad, or anyone else for that matter, claims to have video of said wolverine. Correct, OP?

10-4, thanks! That does make a bit more sense

Participant

While a Wolverine would be out of it’s element here in Iowa I wouldn’t rule out anything as impossible. I would sure hate to cross pathes with it!

This is a badger so it’s a little off subject but I was reminded of these pics by this thread. That guy is still alive and no doubtedly ready to rip someones face off! I would not want to be the one to try and cut the twine to release him! 😀 😀 😀

Participant

Cool pics…they definately go with the theme of this thread. You don’t see that everday

Participant

Quote by: bigheadhunter

Has anyone else heard about this? My dad was tellin me he heard a rumor that there has been a wolverine spotted near Drakesville, Ia in the SE part of the state. He then confirmed it himself 2 days later. My dad said he had to go straight home and look up pics of one to make sure. Even watched a video of it running and said there was no doubt that it was a wolverine. I thought surely it was a badger, but I know my dad has seen badgers before. Just wondering if anyone else had heard about this yet.

A co worker saw one as roadkill last week. South end of Muscatine.

Participant

Quote by: bigheadhunter

Has anyone else heard about this? My dad was tellin me he heard a rumor that there has been a wolverine spotted near Drakesville, Ia in the SE part of the state. He then confirmed it himself 2 days later. My dad said he had to go straight home and look up pics of one to make sure. Even watched a video of it running and said there was no doubt that it was a wolverine. I thought surely it was a badger, but I know my dad has seen badgers before. Just wondering if anyone else had heard about this yet.

I would not rule it out as a wolverine considering their home range minimum is typically a 1000 square miles. They live in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and Canada and have been seen in Michigan in recent years. I don’t see any reason to doubt it, and they are the largest member of the weasel family in North America. I highly doubt it was anyones pet wolverine 🙄

Participant

Back in the 70s we had some trammel nets in the back waters of the mississippi and we caught a 4ft long gator,we called the DNR and showed it to them,they said coulda been a pet or even come up on a barge? We shot it and ate it,not bad eaten either. As far as badgers go,we usualy trap 1 or 2 a year around here in our coyote sets. i live in Burlington,SE Iowa. O ye we have cougars here too! lol

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.