Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Wolverine near Drakesville?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone else heard about this? My dad was tellin me he heard a rumor that there has been a wolverine spotted near Drakesville, Ia in the SE part of the state. He then confirmed it himself 2 days later. My dad said he had to go straight home and look up pics of one to make sure. Even watched a video of it running and said there was no doubt that it was a wolverine. I thought surely it was a badger, but I know my dad has seen badgers before. Just wondering if anyone else had heard about this yet.

Participant

Are the x-men moving to town? Isn’t a wolverine a fictional charactor? Probably a badger. I’ve seen a few of them down here.

Participant

Oh no its a wolverine, real life animal way meaner then a badger

Participant

Wolverines are real but they are extremely rare and live in the far far north. The only way i could even see one being here in Iowa would be an escapee from a private owner. I dont even know if the average Joe can own one. There are VERY few people that have them as pets and those people typically live in mountainous alpine or tundra regions where wolverines are native to and can survive the climate.

Participant

But there is no Mountain Lions either. I remember back about 15 years ago they caught an alligator on a trotline in S.E Ia. Pirana in cedar Lake. I would say it is possible someone had one as a pet? People will collect some crazy things?

Participant

I know they arent suppose to be here let alone this far south. I really hope someone gets a pic of this guy, I got a feeling alot of people think Im blowin smoke. Im sure if no one else hears of him he will prob show up in shotgun season.

Participant

I am aging myself but,I remember when I was a kid in boyscouts,back in the late 50`s.We were on a campout at Backbone State Park. The rangers came out and told us to be on lookout,because there had been a Bear sighting just north of there. So I say anything is possible.

Participant

Quote by: riverrat216

But there is no Mountain Lions either. I remember back about 15 years ago they caught an alligator on a trotline in S.E Ia. Pirana in cedar Lake. I would say it is possible someone had one as a pet? People will collect some crazy things?

I know of someone (name will remain anonymous) that released his 3 foot pet gator into Brushy 6 or 7 years ago. lol. Apparently wasnt prepared for how big they get 🙄 . I personally snagged a dead Pacu (vegetarian relative of a Piranha) out of Izaak Walton Park in Fort Dodge about 5 years ago too. It was about 2 lbs and hadnt been dead long. Snagged it to make sure it wasnt a giant sunfish and got a real surprise.

Participant

I heard of a Wolverine that was seen around 40yrs? ago in Iowa. If I recall correctly it was up near the MN/IA border. Not many yrs ago a co-worker & I seen a Moose over in Tama County. That was pretty cool. Moose was out in a snow covered section. Seen that moose jump a couple barbed fences. I don’t know whatever happened to it?

Participant

I just read a story about a guy in Ill. that was arrested 65 times. Wolverine in Iowa ??? The first sentence is true so I have no problem believing the second!

Participant

Hey, anything is possible. I did a little quick research and they have occasionally be confirmed in the midwest. One was in Michigan in 2004. Do I think it was a wolverine, probably not, but it sure could have been.

Participant

Back in the 1800’s wolverine’s were in the North Eastern part of the state, but sightings were few and far between just like the Mountain Lions were at that time. With the arrival of people they moved on or stayed away.

But more than likely what has been spotted here is a large weasel. And the wolverine is a member of the weasel family.

Participant

There was a moose in winnebago county near MN/IA border around 7 years ago..saw it myself.

Participant

Quote by: flyfishr

Back in the 1800’s wolverine’s were in the North Eastern part of the state, but sightings were few and far between just like the Mountain Lions were at that time. With the arrival of people they moved on or stayed away.

But more than likely what has been spotted here is a large weasel. And the wolverine is a member of the weasel family.

I’d have to say its 100% wolverine not a weasel. My dad has been a very avid hunter since I can remember and if he thinks its a wovlerine and double checks pics and videos online and still says its a wolverine, then by god I believe him lol. Just hope someone else sees him so there is no doubt by my fellow Iowa sportsman

Participant

Post the damn video already……………………

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.