Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Wolf in Tama County.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yesterday in Menards M’town. I ran into a retired PD officer I know. We visited a bit & talked about predators(He is a avid hunter). He lives over in Tama county now. He told me last yr while hunting he seen a lone wolf. He said it was very large & silver colored. I knew of a wolf over in Tama county some yrs back. But have not heard of any sightings for at least 15yrs or so over there.

Whip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa.  They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

Whip

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa. They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

A few days ago walking a trail in Grundy County. Wife found some scat on the walking trail. I walked the trail the next day & it looked like wolf scat to me. Turds were roughly 1.5+” in diameter. Large pile & chock full of deer hair. We’ve walked that trail almost daily since 08. Whatever canine left it, it was a 1st time on that trail. I hope it is around come snow fly. I want to see him/her. If by chance it is a coyote hybrid? & I get a chance. It’s hammer time.

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa. They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

A few days ago walking a trail in Grundy County. Wife found some scat on the walking trail. I walked the trail the next day & it looked like wolf scat to me. Turds were roughly 1.5+” in diameter. Large pile & chock full of deer hair. We’ve walked that trail almost daily since 08. Whatever canine left it, it was a 1st time on that trail. I hope it is around come snow fly. I want to see him/her. If by chance it is a coyote hybrid? & I get a chance. It’s hammer time.

I did happen to talk to a woman from Baxter, Iowa today. She said she has seen a wolf near Baxter. I have to question her further & get some details. She said it wasn’t a coyote. Very large.

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Go get em Ev.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

wmgeorge64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Is it legal to hunt a wolf in Iowa?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.