Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Wolf in Tama County.

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Yesterday in Menards M’town. I ran into a retired PD officer I know. We visited a bit & talked about predators(He is a avid hunter). He lives over in Tama county now. He told me last yr while hunting he seen a lone wolf. He said it was very large & silver colored. I knew of a wolf over in Tama county some yrs back. But have not heard of any sightings for at least 15yrs or so over there.

Whip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa.  They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

Whip

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa. They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

A few days ago walking a trail in Grundy County. Wife found some scat on the walking trail. I walked the trail the next day & it looked like wolf scat to me. Turds were roughly 1.5+” in diameter. Large pile & chock full of deer hair. We’ve walked that trail almost daily since 08. Whatever canine left it, it was a 1st time on that trail. I hope it is around come snow fly. I want to see him/her. If by chance it is a coyote hybrid? & I get a chance. It’s hammer time.

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m surprised you have not seen more wolves in Iowa. They are highly mobile and typically travel a lot of country looking to establish their own territory. I know MN has some and so does WI given time you will have some. From my experiences here in WY they are not the best neighbors to have.

A few days ago walking a trail in Grundy County. Wife found some scat on the walking trail. I walked the trail the next day & it looked like wolf scat to me. Turds were roughly 1.5+” in diameter. Large pile & chock full of deer hair. We’ve walked that trail almost daily since 08. Whatever canine left it, it was a 1st time on that trail. I hope it is around come snow fly. I want to see him/her. If by chance it is a coyote hybrid? & I get a chance. It’s hammer time.

I did happen to talk to a woman from Baxter, Iowa today. She said she has seen a wolf near Baxter. I have to question her further & get some details. She said it wasn’t a coyote. Very large.

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Go get em Ev.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

wmgeorge64
    Blocked
    Up
    Down

Is it legal to hunt a wolf in Iowa?

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Is it legal to hunt a wolf in Iowa?

Last I checked, NO.

wmgeorge64
    Blocked
    Up
    Down

I was raised around Ft. Dodge and grew up in the 50’s, it was rare to see even a deer, never saw wolf but dad saw a Bobcat once.   Unless they are causing problems, I say leave them alone.

yenfred
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just saw an albino mountain lion near the river walk hiking trail in coon rapids, carroll County, laying in a pasture southeast of the cemetery. Very long tail and body, definitely not a bobcat, or tomcat.

cowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So it shows Keith Springer posted 34 minutes ago, but when I go here there is no post?????????????

wmgeorge64
    Blocked
    Up
    Down

Get used to it Cowboy the old working website was replaced and it took a year to replace, this new one is so screwed up. Complain and YOU ARE the only one that has had a problem… what are YOU doing wrong??

I thought the old one was fine and it Worked!!

cowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yeah I have been around here for a long time, all these forums seem to die away, and I refuse to do social media so I guess I am screwed.

wmgeorge64
    Blocked
    Up
    Down

Its too bad great magazine but no one can fix the website. Most businesses rely on  their website to build the traffic to sell advertising. Not this one?

What? I was able to post!!!! Maybe they did hire someone to fix.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by wmgeorge64.
    coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

-3 is the BEST you wannabe’s can do. lol!

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

25 or so years. A breeder western Iowa was about to get busted for breeding hybrids.  Wound up kicking them loose, to avoid prosecution.  Details were thin and facts scarce.

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have no idea of the law now regarding captive wolves/wolf hybrid breeding. However, I went to school with a gal over State Center Iowa area. Her & her husband raised wolves, coyotes & hybrids many yrs ago. There also was a lady near Rhodes Iowa who breed wolves same time period. My friend told me when her pack howled her friend’s pack also howled. A short time lapsed between the two wolf packs. The distance between the 2 packs was roughly 9 miles apart as the crow flies.

As for hybrids here in Iowa. Back in the 60’s & early 70’s. there were numerous breeders (wolf/dog & coyote/dog hybrids)here in Iowa. I’m not sure if there still are any or not? But some of them would advertize their canines in the Des Moines reg on Sundays.

Myself I’ve seen a 1/2 dozen or so of coyote hybrids over my time. They were all on the large size. I shot one that was solid gold colored Winter of 81. It was paired up with a average size mousy gray coyote. I tracked that male 3/4 mile. It went under a machine shed on an abandoned farm sted in the middle of a mile section. To this day I regret not putting another rd in him When I knocked him down the 1st hit. He took a 55gr sn angled through both lungs. Exit wound blew chunks of a lung out onto the snow where he hit the deck. Tough critters, eh.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by coydog.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by coydog.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.