Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Wiper fishing from a Kayak

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I did a little wiper fishing from my kayak the other morning. I had to chase them down as they blew up bait fish on the surface. It is an absolute blast! I hope you enjoy the video!

nater3nater3
    Participant

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I just subscribed to your channel.

Participant

Cool video bud, and i agree 100% with your feelings around pound for pound fight with whipers and white bass. My personal favorite fighting and eating fish. Cut the blood strip out and they are about the same as cod or haddock- snow white, big, flaky, fillets!

Participant

Is there a better time of year for keeping fish or do they taste funny as summer progresses? We caught a few at Macbride over the weekend that would have been a good test run for the frying pan.

Participant

Quote by: IA+9249+AY

Is there a better time of year for keeping fish or do they taste funny as summer progresses? We caught a few at Macbride over the weekend that would have been a good test run for the frying pan.

In my experience with eating white bass/wipers (and I’ve eaten a lot of them over the years) is that it’s all about meat prep. They do require a bit more work than say crappie or bluegill but worth it in the end.

When you catch them ice them immediately, get that meat as cold as you can as fast as you can. Just bring a cooler with plenty of ice or a salt/ice combo and toss them in there after catching. After you fillet them soak the fillets in a salt water bath in the fridge. The blood will leach out of the meat and the water will darken in an hour or so. When the water darkens change the water and soak again. Do this a few times until the water stays clear and then give one final soak overnight in the fridge. If you do this you won’t even have to remove the red meat from the fillets because the blood will be drawn out into the salt water bath. Bread and fry like you would any other panfish and you will have delicious white flaky meat that stays firmer than crappie or bluegill. It’s one of my favorites.

Participant

Thank you for the tip Maverick. If you can soak the blood strip out of them without sacrificing so much meat, I’m down to try the method you suggested. Now I just gotta find a place that is close to catch a cooler full! 😈

Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

Thank you for the tip Maverick. If you can soak the blood strip out of them without sacrificing so much meat, I’m down to try the method you suggested. Now I just gotta find a place that is close to catch a cooler full! 😈

It’s about that time of year. I am going to start chasing them here soon.

*note about soaking the fillets in salt water. There will still be red in the meat, but don’t worry about it. The color stays, but the unwanted flavor leaves. Just soak, change water, soak, change water, and let sit overnight in the fridge and the whole fillet tastes delicious.

I use kosher salt, doubt that makes any difference, but dissolve the salt into the water bath until no more salt will dissolve.

Participant

Quote by: nater3

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I just subscribed to your channel.

Thanks, I’m glad you liked it!

Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

Cool video bud, and i agree 100% with your feelings around pound for pound fight with whipers and white bass. My personal favorite fighting and eating fish. Cut the blood strip out and they are about the same as cod or haddock- snow white, big, flaky, fillets!

Thanks! I occasionally eat them, but generally prefer walleyes for the dinner table if I can find them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.