Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum WINTERIZING BOAT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looks like colder weather next week??????

When should guy get the boat winterized?????

If the temp goes below 30 degrees is the motor in jeopardy?

Would like to keep for fishing for next 3 weeks, but am worried I may damage the motor with colder morning temps. Robert

Any suggestions???

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

Outboard? I have never “winterized” other than possibly putting stabilizer in your gas and running it through. Possibly change out lower unit oil in case any water has mixed with oil (it will be milky and if it is, chances are you need to replace a simple o-ring on one of the screws) Change the o-rings out anyways as preventative. I use my outboards year round if conditions allow, but not as often.

I/O? You better winterize before any chance at a cold night that could possibly freeze and crack your block. Don’t flirt with this. A buddy of mine did this. Talk about wiping your rear end with $3,000. Don’t wait.

Participant

Same here. I have never “winterized” my outboard motor. I actually don’t even use fuel stabilizer. I normally put mine away towards the end of October and will have it out again in March. All I do before I put it away is change the lower end unit oil, wrap the motor with a tarp, and then cover the whole boat with my boat cover as my boat sits outside all winter long.

Have never had any issues (knock on wood), fires right up every March no problems. I do also change the spark plugs every 2-3 years.

I had read that for fuel injected motors you do not want to fog them as this will plug up the injectors.

Participant

I always winterized when I had a boat because they checked everything and fixed it without charging labor hours. Just parts and the winterizing fee. Winterizing fee $125, 2 shop hours $196. I was not going through every part of my boat fixing stuff, let the experts do it.

Participant

Don’t forget your trailer bearings. Always check and repacked in the yard fall. Bearing Buddies might keep grease in hub, but you nerd to check bearings.

kelkel
    Participant

Don’t forget to let your motor down to drain all the water that may be in the pump. Had a guy who works on OB tell me you should store the motor in down position? I never have.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

I work at Interstate Battery as a side gig- you wouldn’t believe the abuse people put their deep cycle and crank batteries through just by letting them sit from season to season. I tell all my boaters that come in to make sure you check your batteries at the end and beginning of every season. Test the battery acid, do a voltage test, etc. Well maintained deep cycles should last you 3-5 years if you take care of them properly. I see a lot of guys come in April with batteries that pooped out on them over the winter (different brands..not just Interstate) because they just trusted the trickle charger to do its job. The guys that have the most life out of their batteries actually tested the acid regularly, and took good care of them. We can tell when they’ve been abused…so before you winterize take a few extra steps to make sure that your batteries will be good in the spring, and we won’t have to see a frowny face in April if they’ve taken a crap on you over the winter, haha 😆

Participant

I actually have an interstate battery in my boat. Have never done anything to it before or after winter storage and its always held a charge all winter long, going on at least 7 years now on this battery. I have actually left the radio on in the boat a couple of times and ran the batter completely dead. Just jump started it off of my trolling batteries and after running the motor for 15-20 minutes the battery is charged back up. I will say that this interstate battery has been great!

Participant

It’s to early to winterize………the fish are biting good!

Participant

I have the dealership “winterize” my boat. Really its more of just maintenance, change the oil, lower unit oil, then add some fuel stabilizer and pull the batteries. I do also get it shrinkwrapped usually, makes the snow slide right off, I wont do that until early Nov though, still some time to get out.

Participant

I have an optimal blue top for my starting battery. I’ve had it for 6-7 years now and it’s never seen a charger. Motor always fires right up. I take it out and put it in the basement over the winter.

whip2whip2
    Participant

Quote by: Philly

I have an optimal blue top for my starting battery. I�ve had it for 6-7 years now and it�s never seen a charger. Motor always fires right up. I take it out and put it in the basement over the winter.

Philly, just wondering.

Do you run a couple of Depth Finders, the Radio, Live well & such off that same battery?

whip2

whip2

Participant

Quote by: whip2

Quote by: Philly

I have an optimal blue top for my starting battery. I�ve had it for 6-7 years now and it�s never seen a charger. Motor always fires right up. I take it out and put it in the basement over the winter.

Philly, just wondering.

Do you run a couple of Depth Finders, the Radio, Live well & such off that same battery?

whip2

Nope. That all runs off another battery. Sometimes I will run my spotlight off it running the river at night but the motor is always running then.

whip2whip2
    Participant

Thanks Philly.

whip2

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

My winterizing amounts to fuel stabilizer . drain amd replace lower unit grease and put the batteries in the baseme t and charge up a couple times thru winter. No special hurry as duck hunters are out there busting ice with their boats during waterfowl season.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.