Home Forums Fishing Catfishing Wing dams around sioux city?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

My question is how do you pick a good wing dam or are they all the same? So when you come up on one how do you postion your boat or do you just pull up and fish from shore? I have fished down there twice and came up the the big zero but that was all new water for me but no ready to give up on it. I am use to fishing on the minnesota river with brush piles, and stuff like that the missiouri is a new river for me just some info would help. Thanks alot guys.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

No they are not all the same, hit or miss as to which ones are holding fish. How I have fished them in the past is come up from down stream and get in the eddy and then throw towards the dam it self towards the swirling water there.

skunky
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would just float down the river and try everyone of them along the way. I find it best to let my line flow out in front past the point of the wing dike. I have better luck that way instead of casting up towards the bank.

flathead35
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So for flatheads you guys post up the down stream side of the wing dam don’t you fish the up stream side those are more active fish right?

bowtech777
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in sioux city and have fished most of the wingdams from sioux city south past weedland access have caught alot of big flat heads and channels off these from boat and shore also a few bonus walleyes and small mouths some wingdams are alot better then other some have really deep holes that will hold cats just stacked up in them ever want some one to fish with just drop me a line 😀 i have heard of some nice channels being caught right off the wing dams by the marina in sioux city that was last week that i heard that so maybe another warm spell i will get out and try it frozen shad and large minnows is what i heard people where catching them also have a few other places that i know hold cats this time of year and walleyes

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: flathead35

So for flatheads you guys post up the down stream side of the wing dam don’t you fish the up stream side those are more active fish right?

You’re going to want to fish the downstream side for pretty much anything. The majority of the time anyway… I don’t think I’ve ever caught anything on the north side of one of those wingdams. I suppose if there were some kind of heavy, fish-holding cover immediately upstream of the dam to fish downstream of it could be worth it.

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

One other spot to watch right now is the ‘stain line’ where the Missouri and Big Sioux meet. Some big cat and walleyes hang in that area in the Spring. 😉

bowtech777
    Participant
    Up
    Down

ken i am what most would still consider a young pup only 24 years young would love to fish with ya some time i know that river pretty good have fidshed it alot from sioux city use to work at scheels in sioux city

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

777, you have mail. ken

flathead35
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well bowtech777 when ever you want to meet up just let me know I live in Sioux Falls just email me and we can set some thing up or just privite message me and go from there.

bowtech777
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i have been tryin to line of a decent partner to fish the missiouri cat fish tourny that the have here in sioux city during the summer i believe its in july or august not for sure on a date but i know of one other good spot to fish this time of the spring its down where port neal pumps into the river south of weedland access hold huge numbers of fish we have litterally fished there in the spring and only been able to fish one pole at a time due to the bite being so hot its a blast anything from 30lb drum to walleyes to cat fish and the back side of snyders bend where the cooling ponds are is a great place as well just some of my little hot spots

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Flathead, do you ever fish Klondike? Some good sized cat south of there toward Haywarden in the Spring. 😕

flathead35
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ken have tried it alot of channels, and to many people for me. You can take the boat out there but can only go so far but not that many flatheads this far north and the way the gas is driving to the minnesota river get alittle expensive every weekend. So kind of looking for some place closer with same quality of fish so Ive been reading that the lower part of the big sioux is good for flatheads and I guess the missiouri is good just havent had any luck but have only tried it twice in two years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.