Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Will the 410 be legal for turkey?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As far as I know and can read in the regs the 410 is illegal in iowa, right?  Wondering why it’s being sold in so many sporting goods stores?  Am I missing something?  A few of the gun dealers claimed they didn’t know it was illegal to hunt turkey with.  Maybe I’m missing something. Any knowledge on this would be helpful, thanks

Participant

NO

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Surprised me but this is what I found:
    <h3>Equipment</h3>

• Shotgun: A person can use shotgun gauges 10 through 20, using shot sizes 4 through 6 or mixed loads that include shot sizes 4 through 7. In addition, shotgun gauges 10 through 28, including .410, may be used with shot sizes 7 through 9 in Tungsten Super Shot (TSS). A person must possess a valid big or small game hunting license and a turkey permit.

This is for spring season and only difference for fall season is the size of the shot.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Wow, that is interesting.  Really surprised they call out the specific shot, especially the TSS

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Well that just didn’t sound right and my first answer was suppose to be for Iowa.  Couldn’t find where IO came up with it from but out of Iowa` regulation pamphlet a quote below.

RESIDENT GUN/BOW LICENSE Archery equipment as defined on p. 46, and 10-, 12-, 16- and 20-gauge shotguns or muzzleloading shotguns shooting number 4 through 8 lead or nontoxic shot. Hunters may not have shot sizes other than those listed above on their person while hunting turkeys. Muzzleloading rifles may not be used to hunt turkeys.

No mention of .410 so I’ll have to eat crow onm that one.  OOps on me.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant

Thanks for the input fellas.  Maybe it’ll be something that changes in the future. I think I’ll stick to a 20 ga for my girls until  then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.