Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Why the heck is it so hard to grow decent bass??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How did this thread turn into which fish is better to catch? Don’t you all fish for the enjoyment? I admit that I mostly focus on bass but I’m all about just catching fish in general.

Participant

Jeesch…..I apologize to any bass fisherman that i may have offended … cant we have a little fun on this website anymore?? Asgrow srry.. carp are great… speng .. srry you need walleye training in a serious way…seek whatever fish you desire and try to become good at catching them.. that is a true sportsmans aim… BTW those 20 to 25 inch muskie really fry up good…. tasty!!! uh-oh…

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

Jeesch…..I apologize to any bass fisherman that i may have offended … cant we have a little fun on this website anymore?? Asgrow srry.. carp are great… speng .. srry you need walleye training in a serious way…seek whatever fish you desire and try to become good at catching them.. that is a true sportsmans aim… BTW those 20 to 25 inch muskie really fry up good…. tasty!!! uh-oh…

No need to apologize me to! I am just poking fun.

I am strictly a catch and release carp angler, can’t grow huge if you toss em on the bank! :mrgreen:

Participant

Quote by: doubledrop

I find it funny that in order to feel better about the glorified bottom feeder that is walleye, the walleye fisherman have to put down bass. Insecure much?

the glorified bluegill fisherman always get in a tizzy whenever the walleye is mentioned.

Participant

Not sure who you are targeting with your post or if you think you are being funny, but i don’t understand. However I do know that as ASGROW said, I really fish for anything depending on the season. Ice fishing it’s gills, crappie and perch and occasionally walleye. Spring, it’s gills, crappie, walleye, summer Small mouth, walleye, lake trout, perch, gills, crappie…whatever is going the best. Then in fall I bow hunt and fish for panfish or musky on the unseasonably warm days. So i’m the last person to seriously knock any fishing. I don’t fish Large Mouth simply because there is better quality fishing (size wise) on everything else. It’s not like in the south, you get numbers of 12-17 inch fish…don’t see many 20 inch fish on the lake I fish much besides Big Green Lake and I when i fish it i’m looking for gills or lake trout.

personally for eating, i’d just assume to eat nothing but perch.

Participant

Getting back to the topic at hand. There are big bass out there everywhere. Just because you arent catching the bigger ones doesnt mean there arent as many anymore. Ive caught some of my biggest bass when Ive least expected it. Ive caught some fishing for other species, caught one 22 incher by accident when I was bluegill fishing and it decided it liked the little gill I caught. Ive even caught a couple over 20 in places you wouldnt even expect to hold fish, glorified drainage ditches in the middle of developments.

Ive caught a couple in the 5-6 pound range out of Saylorville, a place that is seriously underfished for largemouth. Alot of people dont think of it as being a good bass producing lake because its basically the river, but Ive seen some big bass caught out of that place also.

Participant

To put down the fish is to put down the people who fish for it. I threw the bottom feeder tag out there to put the shoe on the other foot. Point made?

Participant

Man, I sure do have the Midas Touch of the brown variety when it comes to threads on here.

Participant

Quote by: doubledrop

To put down the fish is to put down the people who fish for it. I threw the bottom feeder tag out there to put the shoe on the other foot. Point made?

No, you just don’t have any sense of humor. If I hurt your feelings i’m sorry, my intention was not to man a grown man cry.

I don’t know Speng well but the little I do know from this board and few PM’s, I don’t think he took it to heart. You on the other hand my friend, choice of fish to target is not really a matter that should break someone’s heart.

Participant

Lol, this thread went downhill quickly. I never understood thinking you are better than someone based on what species of fish you are fishing for.

I like to target all different species at different points in the year. In the spring and winter I go for trout and panfish. Once the water warms I like to start bass fishing in late May through the mid-summer. Once it gets really hot I like to switch it up and try for cats and flatheads. In the fall I switch back to panfish and walleye. Every once in awhile I enjoy targeting carp also as I like a huge fish on the end of my line.

So heres where I stand on the subject, some of you obviously might not agree.

-I enjoy catching all different species of fish
    -I enjoy getting outside in nature and trying new fishing holes
    -I enjoy nice relaxing days fishing on my boat
    -I enjoy the challenge of switching my gear and figuring out what works to catch different species
    -I enjoy putting friends and family on fish, and especially kids

So while some of you clowns that think they are on FLW tour and want to put other people down based on what they fish for, Im gonna enjoy my favorite hobby.

Participant

Well said. I dont take it personally but I do get guff sometimes for my favorite fishing being trout fishing, especially in Iowa where 99% of what you catch are cookie cutter stocker rainbows. I don’t do it for the big fish (I’d be a catfish or pike guy if that was my game) and I don’t do it for the numbers (I’d target more panfish if that was my goal), I do it for the quiet, the cleanliness (I hate seeing all the worm containers, line birds nests etc at public lakes and rivers), for the scenery, and many times I like to tie in a hunting trip in spring or fall and many trout locations allow me to do that with ease. Also I love brook trout because they are Iowa’s native trout and also they are a member of the char family- how cool is it to catch one of those in Iowa?? Plus I am always on the hunt for my first tiger. Lots of my friends chuckle at the time, money, gas, miles etc spent in the chase for a limit of 5 11-13″ fish that are typically under a pound, but I’ve never let it bug me.

Participant

Just to clear up a couple things. Carp a big member minnow family. Bass are large member of sunfish family. So now shooting minnows and high-end sunfish boats. 😉

Ok, let’s put this back on it’s wheels. I firmly believe the quality of bass fishing was much better when a closed season existed late ice to early June. Ichthyology is not my background, just 70+ years of observation.

Participant

Any fishing it better than being the guy that works all week just to make sure his lawn is the best in the neighborhood. To each his own, but I work to fish and hunt…not to buy a better lawn care product.

Participant

I need a safe space. My target species are looked down upon. 😆 😆 😆

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I need a safe space. My target species are looked down upon. 😆 😆 😆

#AllFishMatter

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.