Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Why the heck is it so hard to grow decent bass??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: mskursh

its probably not the fishery. its probably how you are fishing and where you are fishing. in many lakes and reservoirs, if you are out pounding the shoreline, either walking it or in a boat, you are more than likely going to catch young fish. when i see guys bass fishing lakes, they are always just pounding the shorline.

Now there are big fish on the shoreline at times but not as abundently as smaller fish. and most of the time those fish are super weary.

my brother’s FIL complained that the smallish lake they vacationed at in wisc was only full of small bass. The housing association all agreed that it was bad fishing from a bass perspective. They had a company come and shock up the lake and there were huge bass all over the place. but most of them were offshore. either on offshore structure or humps or rock piles.

Where the bass are located is going to change at different times of the year and depending on the water temps. Two weeks ago when I was bass fishing they were tight to the shore and they weren’t small either. Hard to say what stage they’re in right now because of this weather but should be spawning soon.

If he is talking about smaller lakes and ponds then it’s very possible that there are just too many small bass and need to be culled. If it’s a larger lake then it’s probably just a tougher place to fish and will take more time finding the large ones.

Participant

Just caught a 3lb plus bass from my dad’s pond this afternoon. Upper lip, tail, and pectoral fins were raw and red.She nailed a senco on hook with no weight light brown in color as did about 8 smaller males.

Participant

I assume she was a female and the smaller ones were males? I have never been shown how to tell.

Participant

Quote by: huntersafe

Take your 12 inch bass and age one. Scales are used to age most fish. The scales are usually removed with the blunt edge of a knife from the upper side of the fish, just under the front edge of the dorsal fin and above the lateral line. Won’t hurt the fish. Lateral line scales can’t be used for aging because they have a tube through the center which obscures the growth rings. The scales are in a variety of ways. One of the most popular methods uses a microfiche reader. I have a mini hand held one. The scales are slightly moistened and placed on the microfiche reader. You can also place a moistened scale in a 35mm glass slide mount and project it onto a screen with a slide projector. I have a micro camera I plug into the computer. Aging fish is similar to aging a tree by counting the number of growth rings. However, the age of the fish is determined by counting the number of wide growth rings called annuli. The close ring is the winter growth time and that is the easiest for me to see. How many winters it has gone through. In excellent conditions a bass can make a foot in one year. If your 12-inch bass are three years or older. They are stunted and they do not have enough food for the numbers you have per acres of water.

Maybe the best post in the history of posts ever….

Participant

Just my 2 cents worth, before taking any action, action that could take years for that pond to recover from, get as much information as possible. Personal fishing results are a small portion of the information that is needed.

Participant

Quote by: doubledrop

Just my 2 cents worth, before taking any action, action that could take years for that pond to recover from, get as much information as possible. Personal fishing results are a small portion of the information that is needed.

Oh believe me I’m not thinking of going rogue and culling a bunch of 11″ bass or introducing grass carp or anything.

I DO wish that there was an equivalent of the IDNR’s BioNet available for lakes and ponds though!! That sure is an awesome source of info and data on our streams and rivers. It blows my mind that we have BioNet for some creeks that are just a trickle of a farm creek and produce only chubs and shiners, yet we don’t have BioNet for large DNR managed lakes.

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

There are people who fish for bass on PURPOSE????? just joking..

God made bass so everyone could enjoy fishing, he made the walleye to separate the men from the boys.

Participant

Quote by: BullBlueGill

God made bass so everyone could enjoy fishing, he made the walleye to separate the men from the boys.

I am a boy this year for sure. In my neck of the woods there was no such thing as a spring walleye bite.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

God made bass so everyone could enjoy fishing, he made the carp to separate the men from the boys.

I am a boy this year for sure. In my neck of the woods there was no such thing as a spring walleye bite.

I bolded the correction to this statement… :mrgreen:

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: mhock

I assume she was a female and the smaller ones were males? I have never been shown how to tell.

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm
    Know you know 🙂

River

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

God made bass so everyone could enjoy fishing, he made the carp to separate the men from the boys.

That’s what we call Large Mouth up here, Green Carp.

Participant

What are CARP carp called then? 😆

Participant

What are CARP carp called then? 😆

Yeah the are just carp. Naw, not crapping on anyone’s desired fish to chase. Just poking fun. I’d still trade IA deer hunting for all of the fishing in WI. We are fortunate, there is everything and all within 30 minutes in either direction. I’d take a archery tag in IOWA yearly over the best walleye fishery in the world.

Participant

I find it funny that in order to feel better about the glorified bottom feeder that is walleye, the walleye fisherman have to put down bass. Insecure much?

Participant

Quote by: doubledrop

I find it funny that in order to feel better about the glorified bottom feeder that is walleye, the walleye fisherman have to put down bass. Insecure much?

Take a joke champ….and I can tell you don’t fish walleyes at all or you’d know that your bottom feeder comment is totally incorrect.

My comment about bass vs Walleye is just a jab at the bass guys. I have a ton of buddies that chase bass. It’s where the money it at…I know a lot of converted walleye guys chasing bass now. (going to the dark side). One of my good buddies made the bass mater elite series a couple times. If he had the money and better sponsors i’m sure he would still be in it. Now he lives out east, fishes every day. I should have married a doctor too. what was I thinking? If you took the bass comment to heart, maybe you are the one not so secure, cause I couldn’t care less if you just frog hunted with mouse traps….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.