Home Forums Hunting Archery Who practices with broadheads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just curious, how many of you guys practice with the same broadheads you take to the stand? I am not talking about with practice blades installed. The Slick Tricks I am using have heavy gauge surgically sharp steel, and I really don’t think a layered target does much to take the edge off. I visually inspect after shooting, and if an edge is rolled I have a combo broadhead wrench/sharpener that easily smooths them out.

Thoughts?

Participant

I always shoot the broadhead I am going to use prior to hunting with it.

The mechanicals typically come with a practice head so that is nice.

Participant

I switched to shwackers this year and did the practice tips as well as the broad heads. I just wanted to make sure they flew true to my field tips. My block didn’t appreciate it though.

Participant

I keep a practice arrow ready to go and shoot that during the season. I don’t practice with the heads I hunt with unless I have old blades to swap out.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

I practice with the arrow and broad head I plan to hunt with. May touch up the edge after practice.

Participant

I use the 4 blade Muzzy’s that come with practice blades. They have been good for me being like the real blades.

Participant

September-January I practice with my broadheads. I practice with field tips from February-August.

Participant

I practice with broadheads. 😀

Keymaster

I shoot the 100gr Slick Trick Magnums. I have 3 dedicated to practice heads. I wanted to make sure I was zeroed in for an elk hunt this fall and found the broad heads shot quite different from my field points out beyond 20yds. They do tear the heck out of a layered target but we’ll worth the practice versus a bad shot later not sighting them in. Glad I spent the money on a extra 4 pack for practice.

Participant

I’ve only been bowhunting for two years but the first thing I noticed was that my fieldpoints and broadheads fly completely different. So I practice with broadheads.

Participant

Quote by: Will999

I’ve only been bowhunting for two years but the first thing I noticed was that my fieldpoints and broadheads fly completely different. So I practice with broadheads.

Your bow needs tuned. A well tuned bow should put broadheads and field points in same group.
    It takes time and effort to tune a bow, that’s why a lot of people fall for the expandables packaging that says they fly like field tips. They may fly like them but may impact a different spot.
    I shot fixed blades but even if I ever thought about shooting expandables I would still broadhead tune with the fixed to make sure my arrow were flying true.

Participant

My range “requires no broadheads”. So I shoot ft most of the time. However in my own targets I guarantee that my slick trick 100gr mags are on point. With the ones that have touched a target absolutely minimally (ideally once) I hunt.

Weird that the standard has always been 3 but slick trick gives you 4 actual broadheads. 😉

Participant

I tune my bow to shoot my broad heads with my field points. I shoot slick tricks and have gotten pretty good at sharpening the blades. Unless I bend or really gouge a blade, I don’t need to buy replacements.

Participant

I make sure the field tips and the broad heads are the same weight and when I am close to season I shoot broad heads at the target. Broad head tear up a target pretty bad and I am a cheap so and so.

You should shoot your broad heads at least once before you take them into the field.

Participant

Quote by: Drahts

My range “requires no broadheads”. So I shoot ft most of the time. However in my own targets I guarantee that my slick trick 100gr mags are on point. With the ones that have touched a target absolutely minimally (ideally once) I hunt.

Weird that the standard has always been 3 but slick trick gives you 4 actual broadheads. 😉

Every pack I have ever bought had 3 and I just googled it quick and it looks like 3 packs. Where did you get the 4 packs from?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.