Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Where Did Everyone Go On Here????????

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This thread needs to be moved to General Banter. It is not about Deer Hunting 😀

All good points made on here. The internet world is changing and sites like this (not just this one) either need to change with it or slowly go the way of the abacus.

speng5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: aaronm

when something gets moved deleted or whatever the mods/admins get bashed for stepping in, then if the threads are not moved you get members saying the site is too negative. .

I quoted this because for all the crap I can give them, I do really feel for the mods/admins on here. They have to walk a FINE line and I don’t know how many users this site has, but it has got to be dang hard to please all of them. Exactly like you said, for every person who says “Oh come on, let the debate rage!” there is another PM’ing a mod saying “Someone used cross language, shut this thread down immediately!!” Hard to know what to do, and the posts on here are so numerous and so varied, a blanket policy is not going to work. Mods/admins work on their on discretion, and as such they take some flak. But at the end of the day I tip my hat to them, they do this on their own time and they do it for free.

maxx
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am active on a handful of these forums. They are all dying a little.

Facebook and other avenues seem to have easier functionality. This site is pretty antiquated compared to the other forums I am on. This place hasn’t really changed since Tony built it. It was pretty sweet at the time and it still functions but it is not user friendly.

Posting pictures alone is a PIA.

A few years back a couple of the mods cleaned house and took out a few of the characters that were really fun. I think those mods are now gone. Some really did have a power trip. The ones now do a good job but they are really tight on the gun. Very little fun discussion happens anymore.

If people really think it is because the site has become to negative well they were not around much when this thing started. Have you ever shot a running deer while eating a musky?

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just found this site early last fall although I don’t recall exactly how I found it and was quite surprised I was never aware of it until now. I think I was probably searching for something hunting- or fishing-related in Iowa and happened across some advice given in a thread on this forum. Since my experience here doesn’t go that far back, I can’t really give an assessment as to how things have evolved over the years. I do, however, agree that negative posts, internet CO’s, and personal attacks really put a damper on things and probably drive more people away than anything. Compared to last year it does seem that there are fewer pictures being shared because of this.

I have had a couple posts against me personally that turned me off from the site for a while and made me decide to take a mini-break. I also believe in allowing a healthy debate to progress and prematurely yanking a thread is another turn-off. My preference is to delete individual posts or ban certain users rather than yank the whole thread. Even with these drawbacks, there are a number of people that really do offer constructive advice and it is these people that keep drawing me back. I have probably learned more about hunting and fishing in the past two years than I have over my entire lifetime! This site has actually reinvigorated my interest in the outdoors and I really enjoy sharing and discussing my interests with like-minded individuals. In my neck of the woods I don’t have any other place that allows me to do something like this. Visiting IowaSportsman.com also is a really nice mental break from the monotone of work or just sitting in the stand or blind and waiting for something to happen. So hopefully most people can just ignore those who detract from this site and focus on continuing a dialogue with people that are really passionate about the outdoors and enjoy sharing this passion with like-minded individuals.

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I used to post here several times a day. Now, I might check in a couple of times a week at most.

I liked catching up with my favorite members like TeamAsgrow, TysonT and Stitch. Now, I’m friends with those idiots on Facebook and I don’t need to come here to read their latest BS. :mrgreen:

I think removing the General Banter section from the front page was a big factor. The Iowa vs. Iowa State threads were always fun.

Also, less information is shared here than in years past. I learned basically everything I know about turkey hunting from guys like Bird, Larry Richard, Rafsobob, etc. Those guys helped me so much in the beginning, it was incredible. The first year I tried turkey hunting, I would post here the night after each hunt. I would tell them what happened and they would give me advice on where I screwed up and what I should try the next day. I killed a jake and a tom that first year, and two more toms the next spring because of their help.

It felt like much more of a community back then. Now, not many guys are willing to help out another hunter like they were. I’m probably guilty of that myself and I should do more to pay it forward.

Sometimes when I’m bored I type iowasportsman.com into my browser out of habit, I glance over the front page and usually nothing strikes my interest.

It’s sad.

maxx
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

I used to post here several times a day. Now, I might check in a couple of times a week at most.

I liked catching up with my favorite members like TeamAsgrow, TysonT and Stitch. Now, I’m friends with those idiots on Facebook and I don’t need to come here to read their latest BS. :mrgreen:

I think removing the General Banter section from the front page was a big factor. The Iowa vs. Iowa State threads were always fun.

Also, less information is shared here than in years past. I learned basically everything I know about turkey hunting from guys like Bird, Larry Richard, Rafsobob, etc. Those guys helped me so much in the beginning, it was incredible. The first year I tried turkey hunting, I would post here the night after each hunt. I would tell them what happened and they would give me advice on where I screwed up and what I should try the next day. I killed a jake and a tom that first year, and two more toms the next spring because of their help.

It felt like much more of a community back then. Now, not many guys are willing to help out another hunter like they were. I’m probably guilty of that myself and I should do more to pay it forward.

Sometimes when I’m bored I type iowasportsman.com into my browser out of habit, I glance over the front page and usually nothing strikes my interest.

It’s sad.

I kind of like it you don’t post much anymore because your avatar is pretty ugly.

Kind of feel like old times now. I miss Bird he was one of the characters I was mentioning.

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: maxx

It’s sad.

I kind of like it you don’t post much anymore because your avatar is pretty ugly.

Kind of feel like old times now. I miss Bird he was one of the characters I was mentioning.

😆 😆 😆 😆

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think the Mods do great but overpaid. Think some on here need to learn some manners. That’s all.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Another thought I had is that perhaps there just haven’t been as many big deer harvested this year, so there isn’t as much to share? Last year there was the Franz buck and another big deer harvested with a bow in, I think, Northeast Iowa. I believe those two were among the top 10 biggest whitetails harvested in the entire U.S. during the 2014-15 hunting season. I don’t scour Iowa deer hunting forums that much, but I haven’t seen any pictures this year of huge 200+ class bucks harvested in Iowa. The best have been primarily in the 170-190 range. I could be wrong, but that’s what I have observed from my limited surveys.

It also is looking like there may not be much in the way of ice fishing this year with the warm weather that we are having. Pheasant hunting definitely is improved in North Central and Northwest Iowa, but it is a moderate ascend rather than a sharp jump. So these trends may be reflected in the amount of content on this site.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s sad.

If I had feelings, being called an idiot might hurt them :mrgreen:

brittlab
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Like some have mentioned, FB has changed online forums for the most part. it’s so easy to set up/join a group or page to discuss things you are passionate about. ts great to have choices.

speng5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Like Heinrix mentioned, the lack of willingness to give help is a real buzzkill on here nowadays. Not like I am as much of a longtime guy as some, I think I am just over the 4 year mark. But I remember when I first joined people were a lot more willing to give general fishing/hunting areas (not honey holes of course but for newer guys anything helps). Also they were a lot more willing to discuss specifics and tactics. Like jig selection, crankbait presentation, loads and patterning for turkey, deer stand locations, etc. Now it’s kinda like “every man for themselves”, and to be honest I’m not real sure where that attitude came from.

Honestly I think some of the newcomers (not to blame them, us regulars need to have thicker skin) have a part in this. For every one post user that does “internet scouting” everyone wants to clam up. Number one, sorry for you old guys that grew up without the internet. If a 17 year old kid can find a great spot to shoot some ducks without leaving his computer and burning a tank of gas, more power to him. Just because you had to wear out 3 pairs of boots to find that honey hole, TOUGH. Life ain’t fair. Internet scouting is what it is, if you don’t give that guy the info, someone else will. Don’t fight it. If you’re against it, shut the heck up but save us your lectures, PLEASE. I have been on forums where guys will download and extract info from hunt photos to find the GPS coordinate locations, or zoom in on the backgrounds to find landmarks.

Not that I’m trying to be Mr Rogers or the Feel-Good Police, but some guys here really need a refresher on “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”

KeokukCoboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sometimes I post on a certain subject to get ideas, mostly trapping or yote calling. Now If I have a question or maybe Im just not sure of something and I believe it will cause tizzy by starting a new thread. I P.M. certain folks who I can trust to help me with the issue at hand, and also keep it out of the limelight. There’s still some good folks here….

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

Like Heinrix mentioned, the lack of willingness to give help is a real buzzkill on here nowadays. Not like I am as much of a longtime guy as some, I think I am just over the 4 year mark. But I remember when I first joined people were a lot more willing to give general fishing/hunting areas (not honey holes of course but for newer guys anything helps). Also they were a lot more willing to discuss specifics and tactics. Like jig selection, crankbait presentation, loads and patterning for turkey, deer stand locations, etc. Now it’s kinda like “every man for themselves”, and to be honest I’m not real sure where that attitude came from.

Honestly I think some of the newcomers (not to blame them, us regulars need to have thicker skin) have a part in this. For every one post user that does “internet scouting” everyone wants to clam up. Number one, sorry for you old guys that grew up without the internet. If a 17 year old kid can find a great spot to shoot some ducks without leaving his computer and burning a tank of gas, more power to him. Just because you had to wear out 3 pairs of boots to find that honey hole, TOUGH. Life ain’t fair. Internet scouting is what it is, if you don’t give that guy the info, someone else will. Don’t fight it. If you’re against it, shut the heck up but save us your lectures, PLEASE. I have been on forums where guys will download and extract info from hunt photos to find the GPS coordinate locations, or zoom in on the backgrounds to find landmarks.

Not that I’m trying to be Mr Rogers or the Feel-Good Police, but some guys here really need a refresher on “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”

Sorry to say but I think the fact that IA Sportsman promotes this at events we get pockets of mass new guys that come on and want every detail known to man without any understanding that there is a bit of a family dynamic at work. People ARE willing to provide help but when there are tons of new guys not willing to even introduce themselves and become a part of the “family” it gets a little old. Not knocking Iowa Sportsman by any means but when it switched from Iowa Outdoors is when things kind of changed. I’ve always said that if there was a way to make people fill out their profile in some kind of detail there would be less nonsense.

I know that a lot of you guys think that I’m part of the “nonsense” but IMO a lot of people take things way to serious when it comes to other peoples opinions. If we could grow a little thicker skin and not get bent out of shape regarding everyone that disagrees with us we would be better off and might actually learn some things. Often times the truth does not fit our opinion and if we never adjust our worldview we don’t ever get to see the truth.

oldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There will be lurkers everywhere you go… looking for something for free or just being a PIA.

I believe this site still is a great place to pose a question. People will truly help if they know the answer.

Will I post after a great day of duck hunting or fishing with exact details? Hell no to the public (because of lurkers that don’t contribute).

Oh yeah, and I do miss GENERAL BANTER forum.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I wish this site was more Vest friendly… :mrgreen:

isu22andy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: DGorman

I noticed the decline starting about the time general banter was pulled from the front page. Posts in there rarely get more than a couple responses now. I still check in most days, sometimes several times each day, but not nearly like I used to. Nobody posts trail cam pics anymore and if it isn’t deer season the whole front page seems to be fishing stuff, so I’m just not as engaged.

The General Banter getting pulled from the page hurt this site alot in my opinion. I understand the reasoning, but I really missed just shooting the breeze with random Iowans and I think that hurts my participation along with many others.

IaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The one I mis is prime focus, I found his artifacts, coyotes and pictures to be very interesting. (he did ginsing before ginsing was cool! B) )

I think the site has just evolved, some ways better and some ways worse. When I joined I felt that it was more of a “good ole boys club”, and I think most of them must have moved on to other forms of social media. The way the “good ole boys” chatted back and forth I’m guessing they knew one another. There were a few outcasts who apparently made trouble in the past and newbies who were tolerated and often helped, but treated differently. I remember when a newbie would post a question and maybe get 1 or 2 replies if lucky then crickets……. but if one of the good old boys started a post they’d get pages of responses.

Now most everyone is treated the same, depending upon the question they get torn apart or helped and sometimes both. I still learn alot from the site, so I keep coming back and avoid starting or getting pulled into debates. I have a 40+ year passion for meat processing and smoking so I share quite a bit on that forum.

Maverick
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I wish this site was more Vest friendly… :mrgreen:

I’m sure glad it’s not!

And I agree with most of what has been said. When General Banter got bumped from the front page and with things getting moved to the Battlefront very quickly I just don’t post as much as I used to. I log in, don’t see much of interest or see the same exact topic that has been re-hashed 400 times; the old timers around here know exactly which ones I am talking about and I log out.

Lots of bickering and judging and opinions offered up by people that don’t banter back and forth on a regular basis so everyone is quick to get their feeling hurt and then it goes downhill quick.

IaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maverick

see the same exact topic that has been re-hashed 400 times; the old timers around here know exactly which ones I am talking about and I log out.

Ditto that point…….

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.