Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum When should I anticipate the sucker run?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When should I anticipate the sucker run?
    the boy saw a youtube video on spring suckers so now we have to scratch that itch. i never have been after suckers in the spring. when?

Participant

I have no idea, but I bet some fisheries guys would love to help you out with this. The few times I have asked them questions they were pumped to have someone interested.

Participant

Not all species of suckers spawn at the same time but white suckers, which are very common in the North country, spawn when water temps reach around 50 degrees.

stick500stick500
    Participant

ya beat me to the annual Sucker Run thread!

I started the same question last year about this time and got some pretty good replies;

https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=997991&highlight=suckers

I’m pretty sure we had some warmer weather in beginning of March last year compared to this year

Some species might spawn in 50 degree water, but it seems we start catching them well before the water hits those temps

hopefully we’ll hear some reports from our fellow IA Sportsman here

yeah, the DNR guys do get a kick out of hearing about guys going specifically after rough fish- the DNR guy from around Maquoketa (Scott is his first name?) gave me some tips on the sucker streams around there

Participant

We had a family homestead in South Dakota that had a creek that drain into the Big Sioux. Late March was usually prime. Had a great uncle that still used his smokehouse. Gill and gut brine over nite, wash then into smoker.

Participant

Was going to be a smart ass and say as soon as nancy pelosi and schumer head out of office, but I guess those are different suckers. he he

Participant

Would have to agree on your political views. 😆

stick500stick500
    Participant

let’s stick to real suckers

has anyone caught any yet, or even tried any bottom fishing after ice out?

Participant

We used to catch some nice red horse suckers out of the cedar above the Waverly dam when I was in college in the late 90s. These were incidental to ice-out catfish. I always thought they were a a beautiful fish with their shiny, golden, scales, red highlights, and forked tails. We never ate them, but they made excellent cut bait for cats. Their fine scales made them much easier to handle than carp. We always had to scale and fillet the carp for cut bait, and it seemed the suckers would outfish the carp 2:1 at least.

Participant

Most banks were still frozen at the beginning of the week. As the ground thaws, things will pick up fast.

Participant

Yes, Redhorse make some excellent cut bait. 😀

Not as oily as Carp, but fine white meat 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.