Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum what’s the best carp spot in the Des Moines area?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My 3 year old wants to catch a great big carp and who am I to deny him that. I’m in West Des Moines and looking for a spot to get him a carp quite quickly since he has the attention span of–well, a 3 year old. I love to catch carp, but whenever I actually fish for them around here I can’t catch them. I was wondering if there was a pond or something nearby that is just thick with them.
    Thanks

Participant

Saylorville spillway is usually teaming with bighead this time of year. Seen ’em hit everything from worms to jigs to rapalas.

Participant

Smitmatja, I’m assuming you meant common carp are abundant below Saylorville. Bighead and silver carp are in the Des Moines River, but only up to the Red Rock Dam.

Participant

Quote by: smitmatja

Saylorville spillway is usually teaming with bighead this time of year. Seen ’em hit everything from worms to jigs to rapalas.

We don’t have bigheads up here but below redrock the river has some. 😀

Participant

I think he meant bigmouth buffalo not bigheads.
    I’m looking for a lake or pond with lots of commons. I wouldn’t dare take a 3 year old on the rocks at the spillway. I know the backwater ponds below the Ville have quite a few, but I was wondering if there was someplace they are stacked thick. Gray’s Lake? Some old river-side gravel pit? Does Blue Heron have many?

Participant

Quote by: Franco

I think he meant bigmouth buffalo not bigheads.
    I’m looking for a lake or pond with lots of commons. I wouldn’t dare take a 3 year old on the rocks at the spillway. I know the backwater ponds below the Ville have quite a few, but I was wondering if there was someplace they are stacked thick. Gray’s Lake? Some old river-side gravel pit? Does Blue Heron have many?

Earlier this summer, I couldn’t keep them off my line below Big Creek spillway, that’s also rocky but if you go to the end, its more just sand and would be more safe for a kid! I have heard there is a ton in Greys and I think they still do that Carp fishing tourney there. So take that for what its worth and good luck!

Participant

Grays lake is quiet full of carp

Participant

Thanks guys. Anyone fish Gray’s often enough to know where the carp hang out? I’ve heard they hang out below the bridge but can’t really fish that.

Participant

I haven’t been to Gray’s in a spell, but last year when the water was really high the carp were stacked up on the North side to the west of the beach off the point by the playground feeding in all the flooded grass. You could almost walk across them. I’m sure it has changed since then, though.

Participant

Sent you a PM Franco.

Participant

Quote by: Michael+Weber

Smitmatja, I’m assuming you meant common carp are abundant below Saylorville. Bighead and silver carp are in the Des Moines River, but only up to the Red Rock Dam.

Yep. Thanks. I mis-typed. Definitely meant bigmouth buffalo and common carp.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.