Home Forums Hunting Firearms What to add to collection next

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Good afternoon,

I’m planning to add another gun to my collection/accumulation and figured it might be fun to get some other perspectives on which way to go.

Currently own:
    12 gauge pump action – Mossberg 835
    20 gauge pump action – Maverick 88
    Plinking .22 rifle – Savage 64F
    Other Plinking .22 rifle – S & W M & P 15-22
    Modern sporting rifle – Ruger AR-556
    First pistol owned – Ruger P89 9mm
    Main pistol – Ruger SR9 9mm
    Pocket carry pistol – Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Plinking pistol – Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite .22

Categories currently considering:
    Over/Under 12 gauge – I like shooting clays, thinking of doing it more. Would probably be a Stoeger Condor, not into the sport enough to buy anything expensive
    Carry sized revolver – something in .38 special or .357 magnum, would like to get something like this to become my most frequent carry gun instead of the little Taurus
    Center-fire bolt-action – just seems like a hole in my collection, could be filled by something like a Mosin-Nagant or some modern reasonably priced basic rifle like a Remington 783
    Pistol caliber carbine – local Ikes allows them for weekely steel shooting matches, would be an alternative to the usual .22’s I use there, probably a Hi-Point carbine
    Wild-cards – is there some other gaping whole in my collection I’m missing?

So – thoughts? suggestions?

Participant

Here are a few thoughts, but certainly not all-encompassing…

SxS shotgun
    O/U shotgun as you mentioned
    .50 cal black powder rifle
    9mm carbine (AR variant, CZ Scorpion, etc…)
    .45 ACP 1911
    Ruger SP101 .357
    Lever action centerfire and/or rimfire (Henry, Winny, Marlin, etc…)
    .30-06 bolt or semi-auto
    Springfield 1903
    Springfield M1-A1

Participant

Save for whatever you want, don’t buy a cheaper version because it is cheaper. If you want a clays gun, buy a good one not a stoeger. Buy something the grandkids will eventually love!

Participant

Taurus Tracker 627SS4 stainless. Ported barrel.
    Should last a couple lifetimes.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Save for whatever you want, don’t buy a cheaper version because it is cheaper. If you want a clays gun, buy a good one not a stoeger. Buy something the grandkids will eventually love!

This, buy once and cry once. Springfield Range Officer 1911 (or better) or Tikka T3 (or better) centerfire rifle. Both of those are kind of the bottom end for me. I wouldn’t shy away from a Savage centerfire as a work horse gun. Buy a quality over-under shotgun and never regret saving to get it.

Participant

If you’re interested in a 38 every day carry piece, look at the Ruger LCR or LCRX, Taurus 85 ultralite

Participant

M1 carbine. Would love to hear the stories that my 1943 Underwood could tell. Also, they are just plain fun to shoot.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Time for a wheel gun. possibly a 357/38sp for self defense, a 22LR for plinking, or 44mag for hunting.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Quote by: IA+9249+AY

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

This, buy once and cry once. Springfield Range Officer 1911 (or better) or Tikka T3 (or better) centerfire rifle. Both of those are kind of the bottom end for me. I wouldn’t shy away from a Savage centerfire as a work horse gun. Buy a quality over-under shotgun and never regret saving to get it.

I have to agree with these guys. I am in a similar boat as you. Was going to get a cheaper full size hand gun, already have a carry gun, but decided to do it right. Looking at a Kimber 1911 CDP.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

Having worked in two different gun shops, over the years, Ive owned about everything. My favorites are;

Winchester SX2 Mag.
    Stafano Fausti 12 ga O/U
    Savage Stevens 12Ga SxS

Savage .17 HMR
    Marlin .22
    M1 .30 Carbine

Ruger Black Hawk .30 Carbine
    S&W 686-3 .357
    S&W 625-2 .45acp
    S&W 60-3 .38
    S&W 5906 .9mm
    Cobray-Ingrams M11 .9mm

Have sold off quite a few, and still selling some. Cleaning out the safe Queens.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I’ll never understand the idea of telling randoms strangers on the internet how many and what kind of guns you own. But then again the four posts instantly throws up more red flags for me.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

I’ll never understand the idea of telling randoms strangers on the internet how many and what kind of guns you own. But then again the four posts instantly throws up more red flags for me.

I would agree announcing what you have could be risky, but what is wrong with the other posts making suggestions on what to get?

Participant

50 BMG
    mic drop

Participant

I will have to agree with those before me. Choose good quality over quantity. They should last for lifetimes and hopefully increase in value.

Participant

I have trap 101 set , Mint condition. Three interchangeable barrels and one stock. ??
    Sweet set for clays. Value well over 2,000 grand. Interested? It is Winchester.
    robbie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.