Home Forums Fishing Catfishing What reel/line do you like to use for catfishing?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Bought a Mudbum Railsplitter rod at the deer classic last weekend, now I need a quality reel to put on it. I’m looking for something that tough and doesn’t bind with a minimum of 50lb mono. I have always used spincast reels because of there simplicity but am open to trying something else. Anyways what do y’all like/had good luck with for pulling in the bigboys?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 3 Abu Garcias, catfish editions, one is new as of last year, the orange one and then I have 2 red ones also with the catfish engraving on it, bait clickers are huge, not sure if there is a better one then that. Abu Garcia would be my first and last choice….

What do you think of the railsplitters? I need another rod or two, also how much?

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I will answer this just so people can have a good laugh.

Catfishing is something from my youth, so for equipment I get nostalgic and go old school. I only target cats a few times a year and I go after channels so most my fish are 2-3 lbs, with an occasional one up to 8 or so. For reels my preference are antique level wind baitcasts with the clicker (pflueger Akron and ?Lakecaster?) where my thumb is the drag, and my 2 favorite rods are old Shakespeare 6′ one piece wonderods that I wound newer eyes on. For line I use a 20 – 25 lb super braid, with about a 3 – 4 foot 14 lb mono leader tied below a swivel.

😆 To me, there is nothing more fun than thumbing the spool for a drag on a bigger fish like a 6-10 lb channel cat. I use a similar setup when I use bait like smelt or chubs for northerns. I even occasionally use a modern version for bottom bouncing / lindy rigging walleyes that lets me switch between star-drag and thumbing the spool.

Participant
    Up
    Down

2 6500 C3 abu and 1 5500 C3 abu all 3 spooled with 65 lb powerpro. Bought the 6500s new, but picked the 5500 up off ebay for $50. I would consider buying used as Bobs Reel service here in town does a great job cleaning and replacing wear parts for a very reasonable price.

Participant
    Up
    Down

6500 c3 or 5500 abus with bait clickers. Nothing else comes close, IMO

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: graybeard

6500 c3 or 5500 abus with bait clickers. Nothing else comes close, IMO

Definitely. I also have an old 4500. You can’t beat the Swedes for cats.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks guys, I’m going to order one of these ABUs tonight. Who else is ready to hook up some cats?!🍺😎

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Cubby

I have 3 Abu Garcias, catfish editions, one is new as of last year, the orange one and then I have 2 red ones also with the catfish engraving on it, bait clickers are huge, not sure if there is a better one then that. Abu Garcia would be my first and last choice….

What do you think of the railsplitters? I need another rod or two, also how much?

Overall they seem like a really solid rod. I’ve broke of or had grooves worn in some of the eyelets of my old catfish poles, and these have 11 nice heavy duty stainless eyelets on them, so hopefully they will hold up better. They had a special going at the show, I paid $132, but I think normal retail is $160. The guy that sold me the pole (Crash) told me if I had any issues with it to let them know and they would take care of it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I prefer the Abu Garcias 7000 over the 6500 but I like to chase flatties not channels.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Philly

I prefer the Abu Garcias 7000 over the 6500 but I like to chase flatties not channels.

X2. I have both, but my workhorse reels are my 7000s. The power handle is great and the bait clicker and drag are more stout. I run 80lb Power Pro on my 7000s, and they will turn a fish quick.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I put an abu Garcia record on a nice cat pole last year. Never got a chance to hook into anything super big with it but is casted better than the C3. Picked it up on Ebay used in like new shape for about the cost of a C3.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.