Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing What is your guess?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am thinking here in woodbury, that some where around the super bowl would be a safe bet.

Participant
    Up
    Down

50+ degrees here in Des Moines for the next week or two. I’d say middle of January.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

I’m going to say around New year’s weekend here in Linn/Johnson County. That’s usually when it makes it’s first safe appearance around here. Last year it was Christmas if I remember right.

I was fishing before Thanksgiving in Linn county last year

Participant
    Up
    Down

I moved back to MN this year and even at my place in Forest Lake 35 miles north of the cities we arnt forecasted to go below freezing all week. My cabin near Hayward isnt much better. We looked at making a run to Grand Rapids but even they have highs close to 40.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Ya, last year I fished within 4 miles of my house on black friday and again at another spot on saturday.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Going up to Brainerd MN area in the middle of Jan. Hope to have ice up there by then. If not it would sure bum me out for the great trip up there every year. Got me a little nervous now.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: datree

i seen 3 guys out on upper gar last night 3 inches of ice they said there were catching yellow bass.

I would be very careful on Upper Gar. To much water moving thru there right now.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: frmboybuck

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

I’m going to say around New year’s weekend here in Linn/Johnson County. That’s usually when it makes it’s first safe appearance around here. Last year it was Christmas if I remember right.

I was fishing before Thanksgiving in Linn county last year

I was out checking out the moonscape that is Pleasant Creek Lake yesterday, and I remembered that I was out on the weekend of Shotgun 1 last year because I remember seeing the orange army out pushing deer on the south hillsides. I also remember a couple dudes parked next to me at the jetty, and were preparing to post for some guys on the other end (coming from the other boat ramp road to the far west. Heard a couple shots, and they both came back dragging a fat doe and a really nice buck! That same day I also caught a nice bunch of bluegills from the brush piles around the jetty.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m hoping for ice at Macbride by late January but this weather has been terrible. Coralville res has basically no chance of safe ice this winter with the warm Temps and high water. With the Mississippi running higher than normal as well, its going to be a depressing winter.

Participant
    Up
    Down

We have been lucky enough in Northcentral WI that we have been able to get out for almost 2 weeks now. Haven’t been out personally but getting the auger ready today and heading out this week. Have about 4″ of ice from what everyone has said. Been kind of warm though so might give it a little extra time.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Went out for a while on Saturday morning here in Sioux County. Ice was around 3″. Wasn’t spongy at all and didn’t crack or groan when walking on it. I’ve definitely been on worse ice. Caught a few gills and a bass but wasn’t real keen on running around on that ice looking for fish. It scratched the itch and that will be the last of it until it gets really cold.

Participant
    Up
    Down

was out on some smaller lakes and ponds on Saturday in around the Brookings area in South Dakota. By sunday the ice was not good again. hopefully they reopen and refreeze with good ice.

Participant
    Up
    Down

From Jackson County. It’s been very mild this year. Not sure when we will see ice thick enough to fish on but still nice enough to fish from shore.

Participant
    Up
    Down

i’ve started flirting with the idea that we may never get any ice this year….possibly a weekend of 3-4″ in late january but I’m not holding hope. My wife knows we are on ice fishing alert. the moment we get some ice, i’m taking a few days off and fishing hard.

we are also planning 2 trips up north in jan/feb.

Participant
    Up
    Down

98 was a stronger El Nino than this year. We had a few weeks of ice in Mahaska county that year. It might be excessive to say we won’t get any ice, but we might not get very much. I live further north now, so I plan on a lot more than a few weeks.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The 10 day forcast just keeps saying warm temps. Just a sloppy mess outside. Needs to freeze or dry out. My horses, want the same to. My trip to Brainerd in the midfle of Jan, may be questionable.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Ihuntcurs

The 10 day forcast just keeps saying warm temps. Just a sloppy mess outside. Needs to freeze or dry out. My horses, want the same to. My trip to Brainerd in the midfle of Jan, may be questionable.

Remember above normal does not mean above freezing.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There will be open water in Marion County for Xmas. 10 day forecast is pretty warm after a brief cool spell next week. I predict no fishable ice on Okoboji for Xmas either.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Keeping my trolling motor charged for now. Hopefully a trip to NE AS in late winter.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: medicdano

There will be open water in Marion County for Xmas. 10 day forecast is pretty warm after a brief cool spell next week. I predict no fishable ice on Okoboji for Xmas either.

I think there will be ice up here, but, mainly smaller lakes and bays. A big issue up here is water levels. All the lakes are fill. Spirit still rising. A LOT of water going down the system. The current rain is making it worse. Silver is stll mostly cover still. Wind gusting near 30mph. Don’t know if it will take the ice out or not.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.