Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing What do you guys prefer Vexilar,Marcum or Hummingbird Ice fish finders

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I fished with Shawn Haley today. He has a Marcum LX7. We were fishing in the same shack and neither one of us had any interference issues at all which is an issue I have heard of when fishing with the 2 units close together.
    I have been a Vexilar man since I started ice fishing but came about 1 inch from buying an LX7 on my way home. Those things are badass!!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: slayer247

Going to buy one regardless. Just looking for some advice on them. I have heard good and bad on all of them. Any and all help is appreciated.

Here is my 2 cents. ( I am a vex guy currently own an FL18, FL20, FL22hd, and FLX28 double vision. I have owned an FL8se, a showdown, and a Humminbird 859)

If you fish shallow to deep which is 0-40 feet in a two man shack flip over a tri beam/multiple beam is a must IMO. Being I fish the IGL I use it a lot.

Once you use a zoom mode, many find it difficult to fish without it. Many Units without zoom get bought used and later sold to get a unit with “zoom” mode. Do yourself a favor get one with a zoom mode off the bat.

Some people like to fish….some people like to play with their electronics all day getting them dialed in. The flasher styles are the simple easy quick to set units. The digital/boat/computer type units have some neat features and different displays showing stuff that some jive on. It seems like the guys using those units are always hunched over adjusting them and messing with settings all day.

From experience with my 859 Humminbird open water sonar, I would strongly suggest against Humminbird the customer service is terrible. Worst Ever. If I didn’t need it for my I pilot I wouldn’t have a Humminbird.

Marcum customer service is good. I didn’t care for the showdown. Just to many issues with it on the ice.

Vexilar customer service is great, units hold resale, simple to set and to teach people on.

So I guess here are my suggestions.

For a simply effective solid unit get a flasher with zoom and multiple beams

If your more of a tech guy that like to play around with your sonar and have a number of different displays get a newer digital unit.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Agronomist_at_IA

From experience with my 859 Humminbird open water sonar, I would strongly suggest against Humminbird the customer service is terrible. Worst Ever. If I didn’t need it for my I pilot I wouldn’t have a Humminbird.

if lakemaster wasn’t so much more superior than navionics or the other options, i would ditch humminbird/MK in a heartbeat for lowrance/motorguide.

Participant
    Up
    Down

if lakemaster wasn’t so much more superior than navionics or the other options, i would ditch humminbird/MK in a heartbeat for lowrance/motorguide.

I’ve only really ever used lake master so can’t really comment.

When I bought my 859 I used it one outing and it got locked on a power/black screened. It was a computer program glitch that screed up and rendered the unit useless & you had to send the unit in for being wiped and re programmed. Argued with and sent it in to Humminbird on warranty. I had to pay shipping. 3 months later get it back with loose chit rattling in the unit. Call up and complain…..send it back , and get it back and it is winter time. Went an entire open water fishing season and never got to use the unit. It does work great now, but my butt puckers thinking about if some issue came up having to deal with Humminbird customer service. I’m sorry but a 1-2 week turn around should have been possible with a new unit. I do love the follow the contour……no driving needed. Sit back and drink some beers. Learned my lesson with Humminbird though, if there is a next time it’s just going straight back to the store I bought it from.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.