Home Forums Hunting Reloading what bullet weight for 1×9 .223

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I Just bought a Winchester hv 223 with a 26″ barrel. Need to aquire a couple good bullet weights to load develop with. Would like to shoot this gun from 300-600yds. I have Hornady 50gr v-maxs and 75gr match hpbt. Currently I am loading for an 18″ dpms 3G1 that shoots both great. Im using Lapua brass, imr 4064 + win 748, and cci 400 primers. Any help with loading .223 with heavier bullets in a 1×9 twist would be great! Am interested in other powder choices to!

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Here’s a decent place to look at some load data …….. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

A 1-9 twist should stabilize up to 70-80 grain bullets w/o too much trouble. You might find it will shoot up to 90 grain bullets decently.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Ya I have checked hodgdon, lots of good info. Just curious whats worked for others I guess!

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Id like to shoot f class if I can find someone in NE Iowa that would like to also! I havent shot competitive and would like to try it out!

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: casey_lee

Id like to shoot f class if I can find someone in NE Iowa that would like to also! I havent shot competitive and would like to try it out!

Have you been over on Accurateshooter.com? There’s a wealth of info and knowledge over there, especially when it comes to shooting competition. Check it out if you haven’t already.

Trevor

Participant
    Participant

Got 2 dogs this weekend shooting 50 grain VMaxes out of my Rock River, it also has a 1-9 twist. Thing shot great. My secret recipe is 24.1 grains IMR 3031, 50 grain Vmax seated to a OAL of 2.200″ inches. Thing of beauty, out of my rifle. Shot a crow sitting on a fence post about 130 yards out and turned it into a pile of feathers. Long story short, I love the 50 grain in my AR setup and a 1-9 will shoot them great. I was shooting them out of my 1-7 twist and it was no prob, either. Good luck!

Participant

I use 50 Nosler ballistic tips in my 1-9 shoot great. It likes 60 gr bullets too.VVN133

224TH

Participant

It will shoot 69 and lighter. 75s might shoot ok, but you will have a flyer now and then, not something you want if you plan on shooting F class. Friends that try to push a 75 Amax through their 1-9 will have good strings then the uh-oh at 600 yds. For F-class you will want a 1-8 or faster for the 75 to 80 weights and the 1-6.75 for the 90’s.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Are 68+69grainers ok out at 600is? How much benefit to the 75s and 80s?

Participant

I wasn’t really happy with the 69s from 600. I was using 24.5 gr of 2520 with Remington and Winchester brass with the Remington 71/2 primers. When I went to the sierra 80s ,my scores went way up. I since went to the Hornady 75 Amax and they shoot great out to 1000 yds. I haven’t seen that the 80 Amax do any better even in wind. I use Reloader 15 for the Amax. Around 25 grs. I’m also using a 20″ Rock River barrel (Wilson) in 1-8.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Thanks rlcrouse and everyone else for input! Are there many longer distance shooting events in iowa!?

Participant

Van Meter holds 600 yards matches in April and Sep. including F class. You don’t need to be a member to sign up. Look up accurateandreliablerifle.com for dates and registration forms.

Participant

A good rule of thumb for twist rate goes like this… the higher the number in the twist the lower grain to shoot in bullet… I shoot mostly ar’s. I have some with 1:9 one with a 1:8 and some with 1:7… the 1:9 seems to like up to 62 gr… it will shoot 55gr just fine. My 1:7 seems to shoot the 62’s better than the 55’s… I have yet to try the 1:8 but am looking forward to doing so. Just got the trigger in the gun to finalize it. It is a 20″ wilson combat bull barrel meant to exterminate coyotes with extreme prejudice! cant wait to see what it will or wont do out to 600 yds…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.