Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Weight of boat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a 17 foot smokercraft (aluminum) with a 115 on the back. I am trying to figure out how much the boat might weigh. I always pull it with the F150 but I may have to pull it with the wifes minivan and I don’t want to over load the tranny on the van.

whip2
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in small town Clarion but our elevator leaves their weigh scale on after hours so I just weigh my truck, go home & hook up to the boat and re-weigh and subtract the difference.

Maybe you can check out an elevator down that way or if nothing else ask them if you can do the same during working hours.

whip2

whip2

IA 9249 AY
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m not trying to be a wise guy, but find a grain elevator with a scale house and weigh in hooked up to your truck and then weigh your truck by itself. Just unhook it and drive back around. This time of year the scales aren’t too busy. I would call first to be sure they are ok with it. I know I could do it back home, but my first cousin runs the elevator 😆 .

If you wait until October/November you are likely to get stoned and not in the good way.

Other than that you are guessing what all the extra stuff weighs. Gas is 7 lbs / gallon which makes a difference if you are full or empty of fuel.

jpenland
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Go here to the Cat Scale.

Bosselman Travel Center
    I-80 Exit 142A
    Altoona, IA 50009
    It would be $9.00 for a first weigh and then put the boat in the parking lot and then weigh the truck for $1.00. Just subtract the diffrence. The scale is open to the public.

JCronk
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Or try going here…
    http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-23-0-5600-502-578-50250&l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

Just need the year and model of both and it should give you a stsrting point

whip2
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IA+9249+AY

I’m not trying to be a wise guy, but find a grain elevator with a scale house and weigh in hooked up to your truck and then weigh your truck by itself. Just unhook it and drive back around. This time of year the scales aren’t too busy. I would call first to be sure they are ok with it. I know I could do it back home, but my first cousin runs the elevator 😆 .

If you wait until October/November you are likely to get stoned and not in the good way.

Other than that you are guessing what all the extra stuff weighs. Gas is 7 lbs / gallon which makes a difference if you are full or empty of fuel.

whip2

whip2

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We have a 161 Smokercraft with a 85hp johnson. The trailer, boat, motor, with a full tank of gas and all the fishing gear weighs between 2000 and 2100 #. The most important part is you don’t want to go over 10% of the total weight for tongue weight. In other words 2000# (total trailer, boat, motor, full tank of gas & gear) equals 200# tongue weight or slightly less.

Mattea66
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Geez whip calm down a bit! I don’t think he was bashing your post. I think he just posted the same info not knowing you had aleady posted it. Look at the post time, your’s was three minutes before his. I doubt he ever saw yours before he posted.

I’ve weighed boats at a local grain elevator before too. I doubt there are any that would care.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Pommer

I have a 17 foot smokercraft (aluminum) with a 115 on the back. I am trying to figure out how much the boat might weigh. I always pull it with the F150 but I may have to pull it with the wifes minivan and I don’t want to over load the tranny on the van.

You might want to think about a few things besides pulling the boat with a mini van. Can the van stop in a reasonable good distance, compared to the truck, when loaded? Can the mini van pull the weighted boat out of the ramp compared to the truck? Does the mini van have extended mirrors that allow you to drive down the road safely, compared to the truck? What is the rated load capacity of the mini van, compared to the truck? Willing to pay for a transmission rebuild? Another question is that, can the mini van stop safely down the ramp with the boat connected to it, and not slide downwards with the brakes on, compared to the truck down the ramp? Give it a test try and let us know. 😀

IA 9249 AY
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Editted Clean

whip2
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: whip2

Quote by: IA+9249+AY

]

Edited clean

whip2

whip2

Viking_hunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Another way you can do it, is to pull across the scale so your pickup wheels are off the scale, but the jack will still be on the scale when in the down position.
    just uncouple the trailer and jack the trailer up until it’s just off the ball. Read the scale, then lower the trailer back on the ball, recouple, raise the jack and drive off. It shouldn’t take more than two minutes. I have done this before to get trailer weights and if the elevator isn’t busy, they don’t mind. Make sure to stop and ask first. Most of the time they are ok with it and I have never been charged for it.

jpcubsfan
    Participant
    Up
    Down

you could also check with your local rock quarry.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.