Home Forums Hunting General Hunting We Kill Elk When Found in Iowa?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

http://www.iowadnr.gov/home/ctl/detail/mid/2822/itemid/560

So if an Elk is found in Iowa we assume it’s an escapee and/or has CWD and we kill it? I seen one between Omaha and Lincoln swimming the Platte river this fall. Huge rack, big ole bull. It was an amazing sight for me. I was shocked and suprised. It was so cool to see. I contacted the safari park and they said it was wild not an escapee. They said he stopped by there because their population was in rut and their “ladies” attracted him in. When he couldn’t get in he left. That’s when I spotted him heading East. So if an Elk makes it across the Missourri river he will be shot and then tested? Sounds kind of messed up. I do understand the states reasons but you’d think mother nature has some rights to wonder in without being killed outright when seen.

nlar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Culian

http://www.iowadnr.gov/home/ctl/detail/mid/2822/itemid/560

So if an Elk is found in Iowa we assume it’s an escapee and/or has CWD and we kill it? I seen one between Omaha and Lincoln swimming the Platte river this fall. Huge rack, big ole bull. It was an amazing sight for me. I was shocked and suprised. It was so cool to see. I contacted the safari park and they said it was wild not an escapee. They said he stopped by there because their population was in rut and their “ladies” attracted him in. When he couldn’t get in he left. That’s when I spotted him heading East. So if an Elk makes it across the Missourri river he will be shot and then tested? Sounds kind of messed up. I do understand the states reasons but you’d think mother nature has some rights to wonder in without being killed outright when seen.

How did they know it was wild?

Culian
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Read the article. It explains a lot of what they do. They basically say that they check with some farmers, if no one has any escapees they kill it just to be safe and have it tested. Seems odd to me that we, as a state, don’t want any elk around. Because of disease and we don’t have enough room. What stops other whitetails from coming into the state?

Culian
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you ment the one I seen… They have a herd and they also work with the state they said. They said they contacted other farms and no one had any on the loose. I would also guess they tag or mark them in some way to track them. Like we do with our beef due to CWD. I even posted the questions on FB on multiple state pages asking about him. I really was shocked and wanted to know more after I seen him. I figured if he got loose it was better for him to be caught. Then I was told it was wild and he was allowed to keep roaming.

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

People already whine and complain of what the Deer herd does to the land/crops. Elk are a lot bigger than Deer and will eat alot more corn. I am not saying thats a reason to shoot em on site. 95% of the land in Iowa is not its natural/ native land. Its been turned in to farmland or developed on so all they will do is cause damage. Just saying thats why the state doesn’t want them here.

puddy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

ELK ARE NOT NATIVE TO IOWA, thats why it was killed.

Nomad
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: puddy

ELK ARE NOT NATIVE TO IOWA

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? While they might not be around now, they did roam Iowa in earlier times.

Culian
    Participant
    Up
    Down

ELK ARE NOT NATIVE TO IOWA, thats why it was killed.

Sorry but elk were native to Iowa in the past. As were many other species before the white man moved into the area. Black bears, wolves, Mt Lions, Bison etc… It’s a matter of history. Like other species that wonder into the state. I doubt a breeding population could be established. I love the fact that I seen one swimming the river just 30 miles from the Iowa border. I guess I nor my kids will have that thrill like I did to see it ever happen in Iowa. Even if it was a lone male just out exploring, like the lions have been. Hell an elk or two could be dinner for those couple lions that no one wants to acknowledge. LOL

nlar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Read the article. It explains a lot of what they do. They basically say that they check with some farmers, if no one has any escapees they kill it just to be safe and have it tested. Seems odd to me that we, as a state, don’t want any elk around. Because of disease and we don’t have enough room. What stops other whitetails from coming into the state?

Elk are native to Iowa but it has been a bunch years since they were, not anymore. Whitetails crossing the border, not the same as elk. WOW!

Culian
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: nlar

Elk are native to Iowa but it has been a bunch years since they were, not anymore. Whitetails crossing the border, not the same as elk. WOW!

As in whitetails bring in disease. Am I to assume sick deer avoid Iowa? Let’s see how long it takes for people to start being jerks on this post…. That’s what this site is known for nowadays.

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: jafergesen

ELK ARE NOT NATIVE TO IOWA

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? While they might not be around now, they did roam Iowa in earlier times.

There used to be a herd of wild elk that lived in Waveland golf course in Des Moines. Early 1900’s

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I wonder if it didn’t wonder up from Missouri and is part of the introduced herd down there? It’s less than 250 miles as the crow flies.

If that is the case, I wonder if MO DNR will start getting upset about IA DNR shooting their elk? Did MO tag thier elk?

Carpshooter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

😯 Word was that an elk was shot over by Ute – Charter Oak , Iowa area by DNR . Was a 6X6 bull , came from an unknown source ! 🙄

hawkeye
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice bull ambled through SW Iowa a year or two ago. Thing with that bull was that it kept trying to establish a harem with different farmer’s cows. It was watched herding cows by some people. It scattered one farmers cows all over the country side. Plus, Elk are hell on fences and as we know, we have lots of fences in Iowa. They’ll just squash them to get over. DNR was notified about it, so I’m sure they were watching. Elk just disappeared. Not sure who shot it, but no one seemed to think that it moved on. Just too big to hide well enough.

Peterson
    Participant
    Up
    Down

…As in whitetails bring in disease. Am I to assume sick deer avoid Iowa? Let’s see how long it takes for people to start being jerks on this post…. That’s what this site is known for nowadays.

I believe that NW Kansas has a fair amount of CWD in deer…so CWD-carrying deer could eventually work their way to Iowa from that and many other directions, of course.
    The incidence of CWD tho is greatest in any manner of farmed operation, be it deer or elk.
    Playing the odds, any elk found as an escapee should be killed if deer herd protection is any concern.
    WVa’s CWD problem in a few counties came from farmed deer and elk in Pa…I expect they wish the border was a mite tougher to cross or someone shot a mite quicker.

Personally, I would not mind a good dose of epizootic or CWD in Ohio and a few other states to slam the deer herd….but most folks do not care what damage the deer do to the early successional stage of forest growth or to the nest predator population from the increased deer feeders spinning night and day.
    Iowa, naturally, does not have that problem as corn is more available, in spillage alone.

Be it elk or bison or wolves or painters….the range of many critters was wide….elk went to the Atlantic ocean, by and large..as did bison.
    Has nothing at all to do with present day conditions and whether any of them should be allowedto wander around today.
    Be nice to see a lonely elk tho as it was nice to see a wolf in the Upper Penninsula….but nice can be a bit selfish.

moonfish
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Buffalo!

Ha well, I thought the people that shot one of the distant past crazy moose broke some sort of law. ??

fishbrains
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The report that I heard on the radio, was that it will be tested for CDW?
    yes, I agree on both sides, of this one here.
    You don’t want to take a chance of it passing the CWD to the deer population.
    but how does the DNR make the assumtion that the elk even had it?
    Was it showing signs of illness before they shot it? TESTS will be preform later?
    Then what about the occassional Moose that wander south ward to?
    Maybe the cougars are ill, Last year a black bear wander through the Northwood area roaming South East-ward toward Charles city,Nashua down the Cedar River maybe it was sick too? 🙄

Hdnpowrz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just wonder who’s freezer is he going in? I want some!!!

Big Daddy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

“ELK ARE NOT NATIVE TO IOWA, thats why it was killed.”

Good read out there…”A country so full of game” James Dinsmore

Great book about Iowa with many accounts form earliest settlers!

BD

marcumeyes
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Iv’e been on this site long enough to know that the few idiots w guns in this state will kill anything with 4 legs. In fact, 4 people were shot over last weekend’s 1st season! …….That makes 8 hunters injured this year as reported on the C.A.S.H. Hunting Accident Report Center website. I don’t agree with what the site stands for (ending hunting altogether), but it was a quick way to get that stat.

BTW…. if your keeping track…..

hunters who injure or kill people in Iowa 2011 – 8
    Mountain Lions – 0

😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.