Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling waterfowl gun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Interested in what others have and like. I have pretty much sold myself on the Beretta A300 but would like to hear others opinions on this or other waterfowl setups. Also opinions on whether the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells is a necessity. The A300 does not shoot them but the A350 or A400 does- but for a couple extra hundred dollars more. Waterfowl is something I do a half dozen times a year mostly for ducks as a change of pace from pheasants and bow hunting.

Participant

Remington VersaMax. Softest shooting gun out there that can fire anything from 2 3/4″ and 7/8 oz. loads up to the largest 3 1/2″ magnums without any adjustments. Great all-around gun that I think is especially suited for waterfowl and turkey hunting. It is great for pheasant hunting as well, but I prefer something a bit lighter to walk around with all day.

Participant

You are going to get what everyone owns and has fallen in love with.

You do not need 3 1/2″ shells to kill ducks, geese, or turkeys. If you are budget concerned you can cross that off the list and save some money. Gas or recoil system is up to you and how much maintenance you want to perform on your gun. I prefer a synthetic gun for waterfowl and turkey hunting but that is just because the weather can be unpredictable.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

870. I like the pump. I rarely clean them. They sit in a wet case in my boat in the garage and they never malfunction.

Participant

Dont feel like you have to drop 1300 bucks or more to get a good gun. I think a lot of people buy the name to keep up with their buddies.. I just bought a franchi affinity and love it- its what felt the best in the store after handling everything they had and it was half the price or even less than half of a lot of the autoloaders. If beretta feels the best get it. I opted for the 3 inch affinity vs the 3.5 intensity because of price. But, i shoot 3 inch steel at pheasants and not geese so not sure if 3.5’s are worth it.

Participant

For the last 6 or so seasons the majority of my bird hunting has been done with a used Stoeger M2000 shooting 3″ shells. I have an 870 supermag for backup that I’d use 3.5″ shells on turkey or a goose hunt, but honestly the Stoeger has worked so well for me that most of the time the 870 stays home.

Participant

Ultimately get the gun that feels right. I’m a huge Beretta fan myself.

As far as the chamber, I don’t see need for a 3.5″ chamber with as good as shells are today. The 3.5″ came up because the only solution to getting steel to kill was to cram more pellets in at that time. Technology has caught up. The only 3.5′ I own is a single shot for turkeys, and god help me if I need that big a shell- I’ll be sticking with 3″.

A flip side consideration- most guns aren’t any heavier to be a 3.5″ anymore, so you are getting the option even if you don’t use it. Only trade off is cash.

If it were me I’d get the A300 and not look back…

Participant

Get the gun that fits you best. I love my Beretta and shoot 3.5 inch shells only because I can. I killed hundreds of ducks and geese for many years out of my 3 inch Wingmaster. Pattern whatever gun you choose with different shells and find out what choke and shell combination throws the best pattern for the most common shots that you will be taking.

Walleyes and waterfowl, what else is there?

Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

870. I like the pump. I rarely clean them. They sit in a wet case in my boat in the garage and they never malfunction.

x2.

I’ve got a +/- 30 yr old 870 that’s been beat on since I got my hands on it, and it is none the worse for wear. *knocks on wood* Kinda nice to have one I don’t mind taking in the kayak.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

I have a Mossberg 500 that I use. Has a 3″ chamber, goes bang every time I pull the trigger…and when I scratch it up in the layout blind hunting geese I don’t cry over it, haha. It was a freebee, and it’s meant to take a beating.

Participant

i have a Beretta A300 and enjoy the gun when I am out Pheasant hunting. I also have a Remington 11-87 and a Remington 870 Wingmaster, all 3″ guns. In order of guns I would use for water fowling the 11-87 would be my first choice. It is a gas auto shotgun that is very easy on the shoulder when shooting heavy steel loads and will also cycle my light skeet loads with no problems at all. My second choice would be my 870, a very reliable gun. Both Remington’s break down very easily for cleaning and are just as easy to reassemble. I have used the A300 on water fowl a couple of times but have had some problems with it cycling in cold wet temperatures. Also, the A300 is a little bit of a chore to take down and put back together. The reason I use the A300 in the field for Pheasants is because it is lighter that the 11-87. All three are good shotguns but I can’t say enough good things about the 11-87, the only draw back is it is a little more heavy than the A300. I Purchased my 11-87 the first year they came out and have shot skeet, trap and hunted with the gun (many thousands of rounds) with literally no problems! I also have a smooth deer barrel for it with a rifle choke tube for deer hunting and put a full choke in it for turkey hunting. Not trying to sell guns for Remington, just thought I would reply since I have the A300 in my collection. Im sure you will enjoy what ever you decide to purchase. As for magnum loads, I have never shot anything larger that 3″ shells. I have always hunted over decoys and believe in bring them in as close as possible. Good luck!!!

Participant

Thanks guys. Synthetic a must I think for waterfowl. Budget is an issue as well. Like to be closer to 500$ range than the 1000$ range. Doesn’t sound like the 3.5 inch all that big of a deal.

Participant

Quote by: CEBCEB

Thanks guys. Synthetic a must I think for waterfowl. Budget is an issue as well. Like to be closer to 500$ range than the 1000$ range. Doesn’t sound like the 3.5 inch all that big of a deal.

The Remington VersaMax Sportsman has a synthetic stock and can be had for around $750-800 when on sale.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

The Remington VersaMax Sportsman has a synthetic stock and can be had for around $750-800 when on sale.

Do the Sportsman guns have the same finish as the express guns?

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Do the Sportsman guns have the same finish as the express guns?

I assume you are talking about the 870 Express pump shotguns? The VersaMax has a shinier and smoother finish whereas my 870 Express has a more textured and flat black appearance. I think the Sportsman version of the VersaMax doesn’t come with the shim kit, doesn’t include as many chokes, and I think it does not have internal parts coated with some nitriding like in the full priced VersaMax. I don’t hunt in salt water areas, I keep my gun clean, and the Sportsman fit me just fine out of the box so I felt it was a good gun for the price.

For pheasant hunting I think I want to get a nice and lightweight 12 gauge Benelli so I can get quick follow-up shots and don’t have to lug around a heavy gun all day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.