Home Forums Miscellaneous Camping Water Filtration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There’s a lot of water filters out there, but does anyone know of any that will remove chemical contaminants? With Iowa agriculture, that’s a worry of mine.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

Honestly, I would rather bring water than filter out the water from our lakes and streams here….. Now if I were in say Boundary Waters….then yes, but around here you couldn’t pay me to drink that stuff even if it WAS filtered! I know that there are some higher end filtration units that can work well in third world countries, but if you are camping here in the Hawkeye State 99% of the time you are usually near some source of well water to draw from. Even in Yellow River forest, you can get water at the trailhead there and pack it in if you had to.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Berkey, their’s a travel model. I have the big Berkey.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

I work for a water plant our biggest fight is against nitrates from farm fields it changes daily and hard to kill I would not try it on your own.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/backpacking-water-filter/msr-guardian-purifier

MSR filters are my favorite. I like to use the gravity system when I am up in the Boundary Waters. But as I’ve said, the water we have here in our streams/lakes- I wouldn’t drink that stuff if you paid me because of all the ag runoff in the water.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I have no idea what to use for chemicals. Here in Wyoming I use a Platypus system and it work.great.

Whip

Participant

Camping filtration systems are designed to remove bacteria, Protozoa, and viruses. They do not work for chemicals. It is possible that activated charcoal or ion exchanger-based systems will remove some of the chemicals but I doubt that I would trust a small camping sized filter to be completely efficient.

Participant

Check out the First Need water purifiers from General Ecology. I’m pretty sure they are one of the few categorized as water purifiers. If I’m not mistaken they have some kind of ionized, matrix that they claim removes pesticides, and other chemicals. I’ve owned one for years and have never had any issues with the water it has purified(and I’ve pumped from a few places I probably shouldn’t have).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.