Home Forums Hunting Firearms WARNING- Stag Arms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All- I shoot leftie and ordered a Stag 9L Tactical on 11/27. The gun came with free quad-rail hand-guard upgrade, hard case, and magazine bundle (3-30 round mags). Stag makes all their guns to order, so I wasn’t surprised when I was given a 5 week ETA for delivery. The gun still hasn’t shipped. Long story short, 3 emails this month and 2 phone calls yesterday later, I finally got an update on my order via email today and it wasn’t good.

We apologize for the delay in shipment of your rifle. Unfortunately, we have been investigating an issue found with the ejection and reliability of the the rifle as it currently sits. We are having our engineers go back to the drawing board with this rifle in order to make it 100% reliable for our customers.

There is no estimated time frame for when the rifle will be ready to go and ship. We can either keep the order and continue to wait, cancel the order and refund you the full amount, or swap the rifle to a different one that is in stock.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do. Have a great day!

Stag was happy to immediately take my $799 last fall, but when it comes time to communicate issues about the order, I have to escalate just to get a response. What if I hadn’t sent the emails or made the phone calls? I guess they just would’ve kept my money?

This is the second gun I’ve ordered from Stag, and the first one was delivered earlier than estimated and it was a good experience overall. However, this level of customer service is unacceptable, and I would caution all of you on the site from ordering from them.

I will update this thread with the outcome of this situation.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

So let me get this straight, they’re 14 days behind on a estimated five week shipping quote and they stopped production due to a potential safety issue and offered you a delay, a different rifle or a full refund and you are complaining? Personally, I’d be pretty excited that they are stopping production and resolving the issue which could potentially save my life.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

I am complaining and warning others on this site, because of the following:

-14 days late without notification or update is unacceptable. The order status has been “awaiting shipment” since 12/14/17.
    -Not responding to email inquiries about past due orders is unacceptable
    -Placing customers on hold indefinitely when they call is unacceptable
    -Telling customers with past due orders after-the-fact that an “ejection issue” on an existing platform (these aren’t new) has caused catastrophic failure requiring a ground-up rework of the platform is too convenient and unacceptable
    -Not announcing a catastrophic recall of your rifles is unacceptable

My gut is telling me that they oversold the rifles, took peoples money, and simply cannot meet demand/fulfillment. If this is the case, a simple email saying there were delays and that I would have the gun by mm/dd would have been acceptable.

Bottom line: I have escalated to management and am giving 24 hours for somebody to reach out to me to explain the situation. If I don’t hear from anybody, I will demand refund and get a Scorpion or some other 9mm carbine/pistol.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: CRIA1576

Bottom line: I have escalated to management and am giving 24 hours for somebody to reach out to me to explain the situation. If I don’t hear from anybody, I will demand refund and get a Scorpion or some other 9mm carbine/pistol.

They already offered you a refund. I get it you’re irritated but you seem to be making this much bigger than it should be because your “gut” is reading into what may or may not be taking place. Get your money back and go by your Scorpion, problem solved.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Agree to disagree. I think this is a big deal, and I am more than irritated. Sure, I can get the refund, but I will not be able to find a comparable LH firearm with 3 mags for the same price. That is the point. My options both suck, but Stag hopes I have a “great day”!

1-Take a refund, which doesn’t account for the time spent waiting and lack of customer service
    2-Agree to wait for the rifle with no ETA. Usually when I buy guns I like to shoot them at some foreseeable time in the future.

If Cabelas, Scheels, BP, or others treated their customers this way they would be out of business. My point of this thread was to warn members of the site about the handling of this purchase. It sounds like you don’t think it’s a big deal, and your entitled to your opinion.

Participant

It’s not often I say this on here, but I agree with llewellinsetter. Okay, the communication kinda sucks. But 2 weeks behind on a made to order gun – in a time of the year when a lot of people are buying new guns… Not going to get my shorts in a knot about it. I will give you, the communication is a problem. And the safety issue is concerning, BUT… if all of the guns are made to order, they would have contact info for everyone that’s purchased one. Instead of an announcement, they may be contacting each owner individually.

Participant

Yeah, I don’t see this as a huge deal either. If they’d not responded to your communication for weeks or something like that. SHOT show is this week too. I’m sure they’ve been getting ready for that too.

Participant

Here is the exact chronology guys:

– Gun ordered on Monday, 11/27. Lead time given was 5 weeks. $799 was debited from my account on 11/28. Conservatively, I was expecting the gun by 1/5; providing a few days buffer for the holidays. I spent another couple hundred bucks on optics for the gun so that I had them ready to mount when the gun arrived.

– Status updated to “awaiting shipment” on 12/14/17. This gives an average guy the impression the gun was ready to ship and should likely hit the 1/5ish date.

– No notifications, email, or phone call about a delay were provided after the 5 week estimate was missed. I sent my first email on week 7 (1/9/18) requesting an update. No response.

– We are now on week 9 and just shy of double the original estimate. I called customer service twice yesterday, was immediately placed on hold, and nobody ever picked up (5 minutes on first call, 10 minutes on second call).

– I sent another email yesterday, escalating the issue and requesting an update. I finally got the “tough luck” response I pasted into this thread this morning.

Successful businesses understand that their integrity and customer service are paramount to long term success. Based on the responses I’ve seen so far, it sounds like this type of treatment is either very common or ya’ll have much more patience for poor customer service than I do. I think to most people on this site $799 is a hell of a lot of money, and to be treated in this way for a purchase this size is not acceptable. Trade Show prep and attendance should never be prioritized over the fulfillment of orders and satisfaction of return customers.

jimneyjimney
    Participant

I agree with the others. I know you want someone to pile on here, but you are not considering the major influx of complaints/calls that have come in they will have to deal with. You are one of many who is probably waiting for your gun, and they have things such as a major malfunction causing an injury to worry about. They need to get a recall going, they need to plan to send out an update to current owners, talk to a legal team possibly, etc etc. They still could have done more for you, but this is not as bad as you think. It always seems worse when it’s our money, and that’s part of it.

Participant

Hello: I know it’s a pain in the arse and I know about waiting for a gun. Back in December 28 1993 I went to a local gun shop and ordered a new Browning Stainless stalker in 338 mag for a hunt in Alaska starting in the middle of August. I was told 4-6 week wait. After waiting 6 weeks I was hounding the gun shop for another 4 weeks and finally called Browning and they told me they would check their dealers and find 1 available. Got back to me 2 weeks later and told me they will be shipped in 4-6 weeks. Long story short I received the rifle July 26. Almost a 7 month wait. I had a Remington 338 located that I was going to buy if I didn’t get it by August 1. Came just before my deadline. Just had time to put a scope on it and get it sighted in. Good Luck. O – R

Participant

Short of shipping you a gun tomorrow, how would you like them to resolve the issue? You can’t change what happened.

Participant

You must not remember the group buy thread on this site. It was like Tolstoy told your story. It was awesome. It drug out for like a year. Or more, or maybe less, Idk. It was a really long time.

Participant

Fair enough.

When I bought my first AR from Stag it was during the height of Obama/Newtown hysteria when you couldn’t touch one for less than $1,000. For that one they were up front and told me it would be 8-10 weeks due to demand and backlog. It was delivered in 8 weeks and I received regular updates along the way.

This experience was totally different and thus my frustration.

One thing that has always bothered me about Stag is that they take the money up front instead of debiting when goods are shipped like most other retailers. Their guns are “made to order”, but they aren’t “custom” by any means. They have been selling 9mm AR variants for years now, and I just have a hard time believing an ejection issue could be so severe on a 50 year old weapon system that it would require “going back to the drawing board”. Whatever…

I will take my lumps on this one I guess, but I do not plan to order from them again. My time and money are worth more than this run around.

Thank you for the responses.

***EDIT***

Sorry, MB, I didn’t see your response before submitting this one.

What would I have them do differently? That’s pretty easy. Have a guy pick up the phone and call me to acknowledge the f-up and explain what happened and when. Have him tell me what the next steps are and when I could reasonably expect to get a rifle. That way I could make an informed decision about whether I want a refund or if I am willing to wait. In general, make me feel like Stag gives a damn about my patronage.

nater3nater3
    Participant

Unfortunately this seems to be the new norm amongst gun companies, gun smiths, etc. Even the good ones don’t do a very good job of communicating things these days. I currently have a .50 Beowulf on order from Alexander Arms and the 3-4 week wait is now at 6. Fortunately or unfortunately I expected this, so I am not that upset. Many of these companies outside of Remington, Winchester, etc. aren’t that big and when they produce a good product that is in high demand, they struggle to meet deadlines and people get upset. Personally I would rather buy the top notch product from the slightly disorganized company who doesn’t have all the “business end” worked out yet. Seems like once they get everything ironed out, some big company will buy them and then the quality of the product goes way down in the name of profit margins.

By the way, I was in on the “group buy”. I luckily got out a week or two before it took the tragic turn that it did. Anyone know if everyone else ended up getting paid back from his estate?

JefroJefro
    Participant

Quote by: nater3

By the way, I was in on the “group buy”. I luckily got out a week or two before it took the tragic turn that it did. Anyone know if everyone else ended up getting paid back from his estate?

I got a full refund. Even got the sights that I sent in to be painted back. I don’t remember if this was before Joe died or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.