Home Forums Miscellaneous Photography **Warning for Photobucket users**

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Photobucket, which has long been one of the main methods of sharing images on this site, has recently changed their terms of service, and no longer allow a free account to link photos to other websites. (Like we all do to share a photo here).

A friend of mine that runs several blogs ran into the issue about two weeks ago, and I saw the hotlinking error message on here today. The really bad part is, they don’t just turn off the hotlink ability and block 3rd party websites from displaying images you have saved on Photobucket, they lock your account. If you don’t have backup copies of all of YOUR images saved somewhere else, the only way to get them back is pay a fee, and I believe they require you to then sign up for a “3rd Party Hotlink” service. I would have to look, but I believe my friend said the fee was like $200 to get back into your account.

And the worst part is, it could be an image you put in a post five years ago that trips you up. Best to download everything ASAP and move it to another service.

Edit: I can’t find the original post, but I did find another article about it that states the minimum subscription fee is $500/yr

riverriver
    Participant

For us techno idiots.. What does this mean? I appreciate the heads up but say I have “physical” representations of all the pics I uploaded there already in my system. What would be my issue? Other than linking those pics to someone else or, as it were, to another site like we do here? Sorry I guess I just don’t get the jargon.

Thx,
    River

Participant

Quote by: river

For us techno idiots.. What does this mean? I appreciate the heads up but say I have “physical” representations of all the pics I uploaded there already in my system. What would be my issue? Other than linking those pics to someone else or, as it were, to another site like we do here? Sorry I guess I just don’t get the jargon.

Thx,
    River

Basically, if you have a free account at Photobucket, they will no longer allow you to upload an image to your account there, and then post that image to any other site. Like has been the standard practice here – upload a photo to photobucket, and then put a link to that uploaded photo in a forum post here to display the picture.

Now, that only applies to the image uploaded to photobucket; they have zero control over anything you have saved anywhere else. But the reason photobucket exists in the first place was an online place to save and share photos. Personally, I think they just shot themselves in the foot, and won’t be surprised to see them spiral out of existence.

I keep multiple backups of every photo I take, but just downloaded my entire archive from Photobucket, and may delete my account there. They need to realize the mistake they made.

Participant

I posted about this the other day. There’s actually a thread on here now where someone tried posting a whole bunch of photos off PhotoBucket and it displays the “no 3rd party shares on this account” icon.

It’s all by design. Nothing is ever DESIGNED to be free forever. They rope you in with the free bit, and when you depend on it, out roll the invoices. Look at Spotify. Back in the day you could build your own playlist, by specific songs. You could access it on any device, anywhere, YOUR playlist, and songs you hand picked to be on them. Well fast forward to now, you can only choose the “channel” which is songs of similar genre, not an explicitly made playlist. If you want to hand pick your songs, that now costs money. Also if you want to hit the skip button more than xyz times per hour, that also costs. Additionally, it costs to be ad free.

There really is no free lunch anymore and that couldn’t be more true than on the internet. Look at Youtube. It used to run on high site traffic translating into high value ad space. Now you can get YouTube Red which eliminates the annoying ads, but you have to pay for it. All sorts of “free” services are finding out they can double dip in terms of revenue by raking in money through ads, and also from those so annoyed by them that they’d pay for them to go away. They win no matter what. It is a direct blow to forums like this. Like another user pointed out, PhotoBucket was developed for the express purpose of 3rd party hosting for forums like these, they found a market dependent on their service (and now that we’re dependent on it, it’s time to pay up). Kind of like in the old days where Skoal could come set up at Iowa games and other big events in college towns. Photobucket campaigned, developed, and aspired (successfully) to be the most prominent of the 3rd party hosting oligarchy (only a few web sites and services exist that 1) do this same service and 2) are actually legitimate – many are buggy, non functional, and/or have a very small user base). Then they kind of yank the rug out once it’s too late to go back, and there are no competitors left.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS752US752&oq=free+image+hosting&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j0l4.1537j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    This is a list of sites that supposedly offer the same service, but poke around and youll find there are hidden charges, non-essential pay-for upgrades that actually ARE functionally essential, or they are poorly designed, buggy and cumbersome to use. PhotoBucket pretty much had a stranglehold on that sector. I think imgur is still free but I never used it enough to know much about it.

Not going to cry or whine about it because this is ‘murica, got dang it, and all this is a prime example of pure, unadulterated capitalism in its absolute most effective form, they get ya both coming and going after dismantling the competition and making you dependent on their service. But man it sure is annoying. In a decade or so’s time I wouldn’t doubt a large portion of forums such as this will be pay to play.

Also for those that don’t use photobucket or post pics, this change will still be super annoying because if you want to reference old threads, use the search functions, look at photo DIY articles and posts, etc, you won’t see images anymore. Just the “this account does not support third party sharing” icon. It’s a real good blow to forums like this that can’t share photos directly without a third party host.

Just makes me that much more thankful that this site is in the development stages of an upgrade where hopefully we don’t have to resort to 3rd party media hosting, so this will be a non issue.

Participant

What is the alternative to photobucket?

Participant

Quote by: Spionhund

What is the alternative to photobucket?

Last i knew imgur was free but I am not sure if this site can link from it. Never tried it.

Pretty soon there will be zero free alternatives. Internet based “free” services are getting wise, real quick.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

I posted about this the other day. There’s actually a thread on here now where someone tried posting a whole bunch of photos off PhotoBucket and it displays the “no 3rd party shares on this account” icon.

It’s all by design. Nothing is ever DESIGNED to be free forever. They rope you in with the free bit, and when you depend on it, out roll the invoices. Look at Spotify. Back in the day you could build your own playlist, by specific songs. You could access it on any device, anywhere, YOUR playlist, and songs you hand picked to be on them. Well fast forward to now, you can only choose the “channel” which is songs of similar genre, not an explicitly made playlist. If you want to hand pick your songs, that now costs money. Also if you want to hit the skip button more than xyz times per hour, that also costs. Additionally, it costs to be ad free.

There really is no free lunch anymore and that couldn’t be more true than on the internet. Look at Youtube. It used to run on high site traffic translating into high value ad space. Now you can get YouTube Red which eliminates the annoying ads, but you have to pay for it. All sorts of “free” services are finding out they can double dip in terms of revenue by raking in money through ads, and also from those so annoyed by them that they’d pay for them to go away. They win no matter what. It is a direct blow to forums like this. Like another user pointed out, PhotoBucket was developed for the express purpose of 3rd party hosting for forums like these, they found a market dependent on their service (and now that we’re dependent on it, it’s time to pay up). Kind of like in the old days where Skoal could come set up at Iowa games and other big events in college towns. Photobucket campaigned, developed, and aspired (successfully) to be the most prominent of the 3rd party hosting oligarchy (only a few web sites and services exist that 1) do this same service and 2) are actually legitimate – many are buggy, non functional, and/or have a very small user base). Then they kind of yank the rug out once it’s too late to go back, and there are no competitors left.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS752US752&oq=free+image+hosting&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j0l4.1537j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    This is a list of sites that supposedly offer the same service, but poke around and youll find there are hidden charges, non-essential pay-for upgrades that actually ARE functionally essential, or they are poorly designed, buggy and cumbersome to use. PhotoBucket pretty much had a stranglehold on that sector. I think imgur is still free but I never used it enough to know much about it.

Not going to cry or whine about it because this is ‘murica, got dang it, and all this is a prime example of pure, unadulterated capitalism in its absolute most effective form, they get ya both coming and going after dismantling the competition and making you dependent on their service. But man it sure is annoying. In a decade or so’s time I wouldn’t doubt a large portion of forums such as this will be pay to play.

Also for those that don’t use photobucket or post pics, this change will still be super annoying because if you want to reference old threads, use the search functions, look at photo DIY articles and posts, etc, you won’t see images anymore. Just the “this account does not support third party sharing” icon. It’s a real good blow to forums like this that can’t share photos directly without a third party host.

Just makes me that much more thankful that this site is in the development stages of an upgrade where hopefully we don’t have to resort to 3rd party media hosting, so this will be a non issue.

Exactly. Sorry if I missed your earlier post about this! Maybe a mod could combine the two?

And this is EXACTLY why I am looking into investing about $700-1000 into setting up my own personal cloud storage system with built-in backups (NAS unit in RAID 5 config, with at least 4 2TB drives, for the tech guys) There’s a lot of “free” cloud storage services out there today, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be free tomorrow.

HawgHunterHawgHunter
    Participant

Oops, nevermind 😳

Participant

I hope the upcoming website will allow us to upload photos directly without having to use an outside source. I went back thru some of my older submissions and see that all of my past photos are gone on IA Sportsman.

For a while I used a site called “Snapfish” ; I don’t know if it is still viable or not….

If the new coming website has hosting, I would devote some time to go back and reload many past photos so that past, present and future members can have access to some of my old guy posts from the past. It would be a shame to lose a lot of the submitted resources from many over the years.
    Kev

Participant

All- i uploaded a photo to snapfish and tried to post. I was not successful and they certainly don’t explicitly provide the capability unless sharing via email, link, or to social media.

Rats!

Participant

I think this site and Iowawhitetail are the only reason I have a photobucket account. How hard would it be for Iowasportsman to make a add photo/image tab that pulls directly from your photos on the device you’re on?

Participant

Quote by: IAtaxidermist

I think this site and Iowawhitetail are the only reason I have a photobucket account. How hard would it be for Iowasportsman to make a add photo/image tab that pulls directly from your photos on the device you’re on?

It mus be more expensive or more technically significant than we think, because if you just poke around the internet, most forums that originated pre 2010ish or so require a 3rd party photo host.

Participant

The biggest problem isn’t the technology to do it, it’s the server space to host all of those images.

Imgur works right now. The new site will be much easier and won’t need third part hosting.

Participant

Thank you for confirming and sounds great Patrick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.