Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Warm weather second season tips?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Going out second season shotgun with a buddy.

Wondering if you guys or gals have any tips since it will be so warm.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Are you hunting private or public? Are you going to do drives? Do the neighbors conduct drives? Are you hunting with just a buddy or a larger group?

Participant
    Up
    Down

been seeing alot of deer in the middle of the fields keep an eye on the fence lines..no snow to push them into the woods

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m also doing the second season on private property adjacent to a section of a wooded river bottom. I have no clue as to whether the neighbors will be doing drives, but in the past I have been able to successfully harvest a deer (albeit a small spike) by just sitting and waiting in a concealed spot in the woods.

This will be in one of the Northwest Iowa counties where the first shotgun season did not allow antlerless deer to be harvested. I would actually be ecstatic if I could harvest something with a fork or above (preferably above). I have a ground blind set up, but am contemplating using a climber. I also have a doe and buck decoy that I could use. Any thoughts as to a preferred combination? I was thinking of maybe using the doe decoy to simulate a late season doe that goes back into estrus.

Participant
    Up
    Down

😀 Hunt the same way you would if it was cold. Are you pushing deer or still hunting?
    I am wondering why no one is worried about handling the deer in the warm weather. 4+ days of temps in the 40’s & 50’S !!!
    meat can go bad rather quickly !

Participant
    Up
    Down

I wouldn’t let a decoy see the light of day,public or private during shotgun season.

Participant
    Up
    Down

If you aren’t pushing and the neighbors are, I would sit in good looking funnels near the property edges and wait for the neighbors to push them to you :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: orngruffee

I wouldn’t let a decoy see the light of day,public or private during shotgun season.

X2

Could be asking for trouble.

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Will be going 2nd season as well

Fort dodge

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: orngruffee

X2

Could be asking for trouble.

Guess I will leave the decoy at home although I don’t feel I need to worry too much on this piece of property as it is private and nobody else comes out there. That said, I agree it is usually better to be safe than sorry.

I will probably just set up in the blind and wait it out again. If nothing shows up in range I may bring out the climbing stand and look for alternate spots in the area.

Any thoughts on rattling, grunting, and/or doe bleats during 2nd shotgun season?

Participant
    Up
    Down

😥 I tried doe bleats last weekend to no avail. Even bucks that I seen would stop, look & keep going. Showed no interest.

Participant
    Up
    Down

They become a different critter when being hunted hard.Think out of the way spots away from roads,over hills etc.Someone mentioned fence lines,also terraces,RR right of ways,steep creek banks etc.Even waterways away from roads.It doesn’t take much to hide them. Never tried calling or rattling.

Participant
    Up
    Down

With the rising temperatures I’d have to think the deer are going to want to hole up someplace cool, like shady north facing slopes or under pines. It’s not like they can shed a layer or two of clothing like we can.

Like others have said, I’d set up on a funnel based on the wind direction and wait it out. I shot a buck in a funnel last Sat. at 10:37 am after sitting there all morning from 1/2 before sunrise. He came walking into the timber with his tongue hanging out, stopped him with a mouth bleat, and put a 12 ga. Truball through his heart at 40 yards.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Anybody think that some doe in estrus would still work or not?

Up
    Down

Quote by: shaff1101

Anybody think that some doe in estrus would still work or not?

I wouldnt worry about that right now unless you planned on using it as a cover scent.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: shaff1101

Going out second season shotgun with a buddy.

Wondering if you guys or gals have any tips since it will be so warm.

Wear less clothing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.