Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Want to join a coyote hunting group in Ames IA area?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As a polite suggestion from a friend, I hijacked my post in another thread and gave it a new subject title to see if that might be more appropriate.

I’m putting a CB in the truck shortly in hopes of putting a small coyote hunting group together. I used to hunt this way when I was younger, but when you move away from the home town area, you loose property and your hunting party. If you live within an hour of the Ames area, have some property to hunt, or want to be a part of a small group of trucks trying to spot, stalk, and chaise coyotes this winter. Shoot me an message.

We are going to do it right and by the law, so if that’s a problem, then don’t bother. However, when it is done right; it can be quite the rush and completely addictive.

See you on the gravel this winter!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Bump! B)

Did you ever get any responses????

Maybe some pictures from truck hunts, so people know what they’re missing. TGK and sawdusts group had a ton of great pics from last winter if I remember right?

one of my favorites, passing it on to the next generation

Sawdust dropped the hammer on one that day

Pics from “roadrunners-1, coyotes-3” post last march.

later,
    scruffy

Participant

I live less then a hour away from ames and im interested in getting into coyote hunting. Pm me if your interested in haveing another person with you.

Participant

Thanks Scruffy,,,,,,we do have alot of pics,,and a very good group. I hope you get some members for your group Ruger204. Try to get people that will go most of the time,,,, otherwise if you keep getting people that jump in and out then it gets confuseing on who goes wear.and what to do. We use handheld radios with ear pieces. these are a must when you are sneeking up on a bedded coyote

good luck on your group

don’t forget to post your pics and story !!

Sawdust,,,

Participant

TGK brings the little ones alot,,,,it’s nice to get em started early. They have even spotted a few for us. We call our group the ROADRUNNERS. We even had sweatshirts made up for all of the members, it had a coyote on the back of it with the crosshairs of a scope on him. 😆

Participant

Always thought that was illegal, to use cbs to communicate and aid in hunting. I musta had it wrong all this time. Sounds like fun!

Participant

ilegal during shotgun deer season 1 & 2,,,after that good to go

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

ditto what sawdust said. it’s in the general regulations, stating you can use 2-way radios to hunt coyotes except during the 2 shotgun seasons.

later,
    scruffy

Participant

Scruffy, thanks for the photo additions. They actually make me even more excited for deer season to wrap up so we can get after them. You know what there are a couple youtube vidieos out there of some guys in NE getting after them and boy does that raise the blood pressure to watch.
    I have actually had about four interested folks. However, it seems that everyone is looking for me to hopefully provide the land to hunt. I have some property, but not enough to keep us busy for two days, for example the weekend. I was kind of hoping with some new members would come some new permission when they are participating. I just have to keep rolling through the country and knocking on doors is all.

I used to hunt this way as well and completely agree with you Sawdust. Without hunting with each other historically, there will be a lot of chaos on who goes where and how to direct traffic for a while. There will be a bit of a learning curve on how to work together, how to communicate effectively so everyone understands, but you have put in the pain to gain the reward. I also plan on bringing my little girl with every now and again to get her hooked. 🙂

If anyone still wants to participate in this group. Shoot me a message. Property is the big thing right now. A lot of the sections that people have offered to me are more or less really difficult/impossible to hunt this way or close to town.

Thanks again for looking folks, I appreciate it tremendously and so does the future generations of the sport.

I promise to do my best to make sure this goes right and that hunters retain a good name in this sport for the future to come.

Participant

Quote by: sawdust

Only late season yotes can’t use them during fox season

Participant

I believe you can use them during fox season, just not while hunting fox.

Participant

Right on you can use them during fox season (fur bearer season) long as your hunting coyotes.

Participant

Quote by: smackem

Quote by: sawdust

Only late season yotes can’t use them during fox season

You have a different rule book than the rest of us I believe. 😉

Participant

I have a placed a call to the local officer to get to bottom of my liberties to use CB’s for coyote hunting. You can use them for coyotes except deer shotgun season 1 & 2. You can not use them for any other fur bearing animals other than coyotes. So no fox, but you can use them during hide season with the exception of deer gun 1 & 2.

Here are the words right out of the rule book

“Use of CB, Mobile Transmitter or Phone

You cannot use a two-way mobile radio transmitter to communicate the location or direction of
    game or furbearing animals, or to coordinate the
    movement of other hunters. (See the definitions
    of one-and two-way mobile radio transmitters in
    previous column.)

Exceptions: Coyote hunters may use two-way
    transmitters, except during the two regular gun
    (shotgun) deer seasons. A falconer may use a oneway mobile transmitter to recover a free-flying bird
    of prey that is properly banded and covered on a
    falconry permit. Hunters with dogs may use a oneway mobile transmitter to track or aid in the recovery of the dog.”

Participant

I’m too far away to play along in Ames, but if there was someone around Iowa City/CR I’d be interested in participating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.