Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Walnuts, start to finish

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

To remove the husks, my mother in-law used to pick them up by the 5 gallon bucket fulls, then dump them out on her gravel driveway and drive over them with the car. 🙂

That’s what we used to do. Maybe a tractor (8N) also.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I went out to the nut place by State Center today but thought it unusual no sign up with a phone number for buying walnuts. I use an old crank corn sheller to dehusk mine. Also I dye my traps in an old milkin machine bucket with the dark hulls at a rolling boil come fall.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Been a while, but we used to pick them up and take them home and hand them in metal fish baskets to dry out. Then would throw them on the driveway and run over them with the car to get the hull off. From there dry a little more, and then start hammering the suckers.

Participant

My parents had two walnut trees in the yard when I was growing up. Like others, we put them on the driveway to husk them, then had a section of railroad track we cracked them on with a hammer.

Now I have acquired an old ear corn sheller and also inherited a walnut cracker. I will be picking up a bunch of walnuts off our farm this fall.

I have also used the walnut hulls as trap dye in the past.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Noticed today I see the Walnut man put his sign up. Phone #641-483-2933.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.