Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Walnuts, start to finish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve got a ton of walnut trees & figured I just as well harvest them but not sure of the steps, Pick them up green, hull them ,dry them (how long) crack them & remove meat, then does that need dried before storage?

Participant

Not sure where your trees are located but I can tell you what I do. I wait till they fall off the tree and collect them from the ground. There is a tool that I call a “walnut picker upper”. ( not sure what the real name is ). It’s basically a round cage on a wooden pole that you roll around and the walnuts get stuck inside. You dump it and do it again…. Once I get a pickup load full I take them to a guy in State Center that provides a service to either buy them or shuck them for you. He has a machine that shucks a truck load in about 20 minutes. He weights them and pays cash or charges you for the service. He does not shell them though. he collects the local walnuts for Blue Diamond

PM me if you want to know exactly where he is located

Participant

Where I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s we had a 5 acre walnut grove that the government had paid the earlier land owner to plant for gun stock material in the early 1900’s. When fall came us kids would put gloves on and pickup the walnuts that fell and haul them up to the back of the house by the coaster wagon full, there we would run them through an old hand corn sheller. From there we carried the shelled nuts up stairs in the barn where we laid them out to dry. Then later in the winter when it was to cold to play or go outside we would crack the nuts take the meat out and put in canning jars for my mom. Some days we ate as many as we put in the jars. We used a hammer and old ironing bases to crack the nuts. Squirrels got what we didn’t pick and we also harvested them for eating.

Participant

When we were in the Spirit Lake Friday there were lots of Wally-nuts running about. Sorry, coundn’t resist. Anyway I digress. My old neighbor use to run the nuts he gathered thru an old clothes dryer with heating unit disconnected. Don’t know how he cracked them. Use to sell the meat for $15 a dry pint.

Participant

WOW, a pickup load is crazy. So what did he pay a pound?

I did probably around a 4-5 5 gallon buckets full a few years ago. I picked them off ground in the fall after all the green fruit was off. Threw them in an old dryer, I even used a low heat setting for maybe half hour each. It cleans them up pretty nice. Then I left them on concrete for a week or so, single layer. They are a lot of work. I gave most to my Grandpa, he loved to sit there and clean em out. He had a homemade nut cracker that worked pretty well. You almost need a small pick to pull the meat from.

They are a really rich nut, a little chewy I guess….odd texture. I was not a big fan, but for baking I hear they are great.

Participant

Quote by: tla100

WOW, a pickup load is crazy. So what did he pay a pound?

I did probably around a 4-5 5 gallon buckets full a few years ago. I picked them off ground in the fall after all the green fruit was off. Threw them in an old dryer, I even used a low heat setting for maybe half hour each. It cleans them up pretty nice. Then I left them on concrete for a week or so, single layer. They are a lot of work. I gave most to my Grandpa, he loved to sit there and clean em out. He had a homemade nut cracker that worked pretty well. You almost need a small pick to pull the meat from.

They are a really rich nut, a little chewy I guess….odd texture. I was not a big fan, but for baking I hear they are great.

Just checked Missouri for current prices, $12.95- $14.95 per pound. Nothing better in zucchini or banana bread.
    We use to just air dry and crack with hammer. Crude but effective. B)

Participant

Is there still a place that will buy walnuts. I usually pick up a couple 55 gallon drums full out of my yard. And a few more out of my family’s yard.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Read the 2nd post by drawetsm. I’ll try and make a point of going by tomorrow and get the phone number then add it to the posts.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

I had already tried and googled then before I made the post. No where on their website ( at least where I can see) shows anything about buying walnuts. Unless I found a different website

Participant

As an aside. Black walnut shell media is a great tumbling foe cleaning silver and other metals. I bought some once when I was learning basic silversmithing. Cleaned my pieces an amazing smooth shiney finish.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Last year I picked up a couple hundred where I hunt. I just rolled over them with my boot to get the green husk off. Then about Thanksgiving I cracked them in a vise. They tasted great, i plan to do tons more this next fall. I bet if you go to the fair you will find someone in the varied industries building selling balck-walnut crackers. I saw a demo of one at a home show this spring, it worked better than my vise but not worth $100+ to me.

To remove the husks, my mother in-law used to pick them up by the 5 gallon bucket fulls, then dump them out on her gravel driveway and drive over them with the car. 🙂

Participant

Just a reminder. The husks produce a colorfast dye. Anything you get it on will hold that dye a long time. We use to boil, then soak our traps in it. Darkened the metal and took the scents off them. We never took the husks off until they turned drk.

Participant

Thanks all for the replies, sounds like trial & error & what works best.

Participant

A pick up truck load heaping to the top will get you about hundred bucks. I have to pick them up out of my yard or they become UFOs when my zero turn grabs them and launches them at my house.

Participant

Hammer and anvil could be therapeutic. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.