Home Forums Miscellaneous Camping V10 motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I couldn’t take any more. 2 years with out a unit was driving me nuts. I bought a used unit with a v10 ford engine. Anyone have any experience with these?

WhipWhip
    Participant

Ken I had a V10 in my F250 crew cab. I had 120000 on the motor when we got hit and insurance company totaled the truck. I had no problems with the motor. I did have a transmission electrical issue at 113000 that wasn’t an expensive fix ($400) . Motor was solid had enough horsepower for a 4 horse trailer with 3.71 gears. 4.10 would be have been better not overly powered but got the job done. When I pushed it hard 8mph was not uncommon. 10 to 14 mph more common. Once with a 30 mph tail wind I got 17mph. At work we have 5 excursions with the V10 and four have over 150000 and are still going strong.

Whip

Participant

Thanks. Exactly the comments I wanted. Wanted to go diesel, but would have been more that double the money. Didn’t want payments. Was interesting when they tried to charge me a credit setup fee. I said no dice, paying cash. Nice try. 😉

Participant

My dad had a v10 in f250 for almost 10yrs no issues and pulled small 5th wheel with 19ft allumacraft with no issues – only reason he traded down was due to health and stopped pulling camper now renting a room and pulling new boat with 1/2 ton – it’s a very reliable motor just not the best mpg compared to diesel – if you tow daily a diesel is great if not a gasser works petfectly

Participant

Lots of those motors in those applications. I was on the local FD and we went to gas from diesel in the quick attack,brush trucks.
    They held up better only getting run hard once or twice week. The bigger pumpers still had to be diesel to get the pump capacity.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Been running with them in ambulance for last few years. I haven’t, nor have I heard of any issues from them besides normal maintenance.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

Drove our church’s Excursion (V10 equipped) on two separate trips to Mexico pulling a 24′ cargo trailer both ways. Plenty of power….guzzles gas, but plenty of power. Came in handy one trip as we drove to Albuquerque on our way to El Paso, TX- made getting up the grade on I-40 a lot easier, haha.

Participant

My Triton v10 never had a problem other than squealing the inside tire when empty. The Triton 5.4 v8 did blow a plug but repair wasn’t that bad. The Mac man set me up with a Triton specific repair kit. Would buy another without hesitation. Bought a programmer to save on fuel when empty and keep up with the diesels (all modified) when towing in convoy. You’d have to research if the programmers work with the RV system.

drifty4drifty4
    Participant

Ken, we will be expecting to see you in September at the Plan “B”outing.

You have been missed.

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Participant

Quote by: drifty4

Ken, we will be expecting to see you in September at the Plan “B”outing.

You have been missed.

Been 3 tough years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.