Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Using my lab as a decoy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I got up early and did a little calling saturday morning. I had a group answer my howling a long ways off so I moved a little to see better in that direction and howled some more. I saw this one coming from about 3/4 of a mile away. It’s kind of fun when you can observe them for that long. It wasnt coming closer any more so I did some rabbit sqealing and it turned and came in to about 500 yards then just sat down and wouldnt come any closer. Tried some more calling and still nothing. My lab was sitting next to me so I figured what the hell and gave him the all clear to go run around. The coyote spotted him and got up and started trotting right in. About that time my lab comes back and licks me on the face a few times. I figured the coyote would spot me for sure but he didnt. He ended up stopping about 200 yards out and I let him have it with my new R-15 in .223 and it didnt even twitch after the shot.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice picture and good job calling. What are you using for a howler. Made me cringe when I read the subject line about using your lab for a decoy. After reading your story it sounded rather ingenious. As always, love to see the pics. You all are making me feel real bad about not getting out there. I just don’t think I know enough about what I’m doing yet.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thats a great story and apparently a great shot. Was it a male looking for love or a female looking for a fight.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Congrats to you and your lab. You better reward him with a treat for bringing that coyote in. Nice shooten.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Not trying to be a self appointed CO, but wouldn’t that be a “live decoy” I guess you are allowed to use dogs to hunt coyotes but that is to chase. Would be interesting to see what someone that knows more about coyote hunting laws than I would think…

Participant
    Up
    Down

What did your lab think of that? He is probably thinking….”damn, I’m not messing with daddy ever again….I’m okay with him killin birds, but Dogs? 😯 ”

Great shot and good story with the old lab…you gotta love em.

Participant
    Up
    Down

It was male looking for some loving I suppose. I was using a standard critter call I borrowed from my dad. I had posted on here earlier asking about what howler to buy and that was one of the suggestions and it does sound pretty good but I just cant seem to get a decent bark out of it so I ordered a Dan Thompson swee*censored*er howler and at least to me it sounds like its pretty good and easier to blow. We will see what the coyotes think soon.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great job and nice shot! Sounds almost like what Whip and his son did with their lab.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Oops, double post. Stupid internet…Free Smileys & Emoticons at Clip Art Of.com

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would think if it says in the regs that you can hunt coyotes with a dog it doesnt matter how you use them. I guess it all depends on how a game warden reads them though. I didnt even know there was anything in the regs about not being able to use live decoys. Guess I will just get rid of that mallard I have been training for the last couple of years to fly out and bring ducks back with him. While we are talking about regs I was told the other day that you cant hunt coyotes without a fur bearers license? I thought you needed one for fox and coon but I thought coyote was O.K. without one. Any body know the regs on that one?

Participant
    Up
    Down

No fur bearers license needed for coyote, just fox. Don’t know about raccoon.

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Great job , geat story and great picture. . I lost my dog last year, and I miss her allot. We used to hunt together just as you described in Nebraska. My only advise is be careful, if the lab wont reliable return when called it could get into trouble if 2 or more yotes show up.

Other then that looks to me like you have a calling buddy!!

TDM

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: scottkr

Read the regs again— Coyote=furbearing animal
    To hunt furbearing animals only furbearer liscense is needed.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Well he named the post “using my lab as a decoy” Assuming his lab is alive, and he looks to be alive in the pic. Then he just broke the law and posted it for everyone to read. Not that I care though.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: monsterboy

I think you better reread the reg

coyote may be taken on either a small game license “or” fur bearers license. Check it out!

Participant
    Up
    Down

You don’t need a furbearer license to take coyotes. And I doubt if having your dog along for the calling is going to land anyone in trouble. Great job on getting him to come on in and what a great way to break in the new rifle. Congratulations.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Need furbearer OR regular small game for coyote which is treated different than other furbearer. Continuous open season too with no bag limits.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The trick to using dogs to bring in coyotes involves three fundamentals; one, the dog shouldn’t be too intimidating, two, the dog should not wander too far away from you, and three the dog needs to return to you before the coyote gets too close. I have no experience with this just read it somewhere. I think I would add a fourth and that is if 2 & 3 are not achieved you better be able to hit a target, possibly moving.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you read my post about using my lab last weekend you will understand that I was pretty concerned about the possibility of my dog getting hurt. My biggest fear besides my dog getting hammered by a coyote was the concern she would somehow run in front of the muzzle just as my son was squezzing off a shot. I have decided to not use my dog in the future. But what amazed me was how hard the coyote came charging back after we shot and missed it the first time.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: monsterboy

I think you better reread the reg

coyote may be taken on either a small game license “or” fur bearers license. Check it out!

Read on page 8 bro= FURHARVESTERS All residents and non res regardless of age MUST HAVE A FURHARVESTERS LICENSE TO TRAP OR HUNT FURBEARING ANIMALS. Residents 16 to 65 years old and all non res regardless of age must also have paid the habitat fee. A HUNTING LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED TO HUNT FURBEARERS. Coyote and groundhog may be hunted ON EITHER A FURHARVESTER OR HUNTING LICENSE.

SAYS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT A SMALL GAME LICENSE YOU must hunt coyote with either FURBEARER + HABITAT or HUNTING + HABITAT

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.