Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Upriver or downriver of iowa falls..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey guys so will be doing my 3rd annual visit my kids in college trip one at iowa city and one in Ames. Going to try and fish a half day on 3 different rivers if i can and i can use some advice. Last year i hit iowa river south of iowa falls and enjoyed it smallies and northern were cooperative. Another day i fished the wapsi but had no luck in muddy post storm waters. I only fish gamefish catch and release. I would be bringing waders and my kayak to give me options along with a 9wt fly rod for pike if i can find clear enough waters..but id mainly be using spinning rod.

Iowa city area….i assume no decent river fishing in the area? Iowa river or any tribs with some harder base with flow?

Ames area. Ive fished downriver of iowa falls but wanted to check out iowa river upriver of iowa falls..like upriver far enough away from the city. Would i be looking for pike or smallies or both? Is fishing comparative to downstream of iowa falls?

Boone river versus middle racoon… i assuming id mainly be looking for smallmouth? Worth my time in early October im interested in trying the boone based on its location…

So quite a few questions thanks to anyone who offers opinions. Im thinking wapsi, iowa river either north or south of iowa falls, and then either boone or mid racoon (or something within hour of iowa city if decent enough). I dont need big waters have some preference for small rivers or big streams.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d be fishing the Iowa River through Iowa City. Walleye, pike, and crappie.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for reply seems everyone else is tight lipped Lol. This week I will plan and share where I’m going and post some photos of what I will tossing as far as lures goes for specific species that may get some folks more interested in commenting plus some may learn some tips on river fishing pike and bass. I will post a report of results also.

I have canoed the Coralville to iowa city stretch a few times many years ago when I lived in iowa city but I didn’t have the fishing bug then. I assume fishing the iowa river is better in dam tailstream versus above the dam between Coralville and the dam?

Participant
    Up
    Down

When in Ames just go right north of town and hit the river. Many accesses. Always had a good time up there.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Skifish1

Hey guys so will be doing my 3rd annual visit my kids in college trip one at iowa city and one in Ames. Going to try and fish a half day on 3 different rivers if i can and i can use some advice. Last year i hit iowa river south of iowa falls and enjoyed it smallies and northern were cooperative. Another day i fished the wapsi but had no luck in muddy post storm waters. I only fish gamefish catch and release. I would be bringing waders and my kayak to give me options along with a 9wt fly rod for pike if i can find clear enough waters..but id mainly be using spinning rod.

Iowa city area….i assume no decent river fishing in the area? Iowa river or any tribs with some harder base with flow?

Ames area. Ive fished downriver of iowa falls but wanted to check out iowa river upriver of iowa falls..like upriver far enough away from the city. Would i be looking for pike or smallies or both? Is fishing comparative to downstream of iowa falls?

Boone river versus middle racoon… i assuming id mainly be looking for smallmouth? Worth my time in early October im interested in trying the boone based on its location…

So quite a few questions thanks to anyone who offers opinions. Im thinking wapsi, iowa river either north or south of iowa falls, and then either boone or mid racoon (or something within hour of iowa city if decent enough). I dont need big waters have some preference for small rivers or big streams.

Hopefully, this isn’t too late. You have some options in the Ames area…The Skunk from Story City through the south side of Ames has Smallies, but I honestly don’t know how good it is anymore since the big “dry out” a few years back, plus the pressure is really heavy. The Boone is a fun little river, but I’ve always found it to be more of a summer river, plus the size potential for Smallies isn’t as good as the Iowa (or Skunk for that matter). The Smallies really start to thin out as you get closer to I-80 on the Iowa, but it does hold Pike as you go north and west. From Coralville though IC and south has Smallies as well, but I wouldn’t get too excited about numbers…There are also Walleye, Pike and lots of White Bass. As for the Middle Coon….I (personally) wouldn’t take the time, I would fish the North Coon instead, if that wouldn’t be too far west (from Perry westward).

Hope this helps!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the additional advice. I was going to do a 3 day binge starting friday but with the weather forecast for rain deluge Im going to delay until the weekend of the 14th. If not that than the weekend after that. The smallie bite may slow down as the water temp drops but the pike and walleye will bite up to ice. The magic number for smallies is 45 to 47 degrees water temp and lower than that i dont bother to target them. Like i said i will post some pics of what i will throw before i head out.

Ive stood on the shores of the skunk in Ames and looked at the water in a couple areas but I wasnt feeling it i have to admit so i wrote it off near term until it recovers further. Right now im leaning on iowa river south of iowa falls, the wapsi somewhere closer to rt 20, and somewhere in iowa City area. I was hoping to find some tributary of the iowa wuthin say 45 minutes of iowa city that may have some decent gradient and flow and multi species but im not sure if an option exists.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I disagree with the pressure on the skunk near ames. If you venture away from town, I rarely see other anglers. I routinely catch decent numbers and some size. My best from the skunk was a fat 17″ smallie. This year my best is a 15″. Good luck either way

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have never fished there but above the Dam at Alden on Iowa River up from IFalls can be good. I have talked to people who have done well. Also check out You Tube with Iowa Falls or wherever and sometimes some nice videos of where you are thinking of fishing (both Iowa Falls and Alden have videos).
    Good Luck and enjoy the rivers!!

OldbearOldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I prefer the Iowa South of Ia Falls but try the riffley stretch from the dam in Alden just downstream from the dam for Smallies. The Boone in the area of Bells Mills. Good Luck

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant
    Up
    Down

I love the all the raccoon rivers. I need to make my way over to fish the Iowa tho. Good luck!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Unfortunately I never made the fishing binge trip I was checking various USGS gauges daily for the first couple weeks in October and the river conditions werent sufficiently favorable. Kicking myself for targeting october instead of september. Too busy too many commitments until 2nd week in November to fish areas in iowa i would like to and fishing will be limited to pike and walleye at that time of the year, i fish until things ice up and i start again at ice out. Well actually i never stop fishing since i ice fish also lol.

Curious since I dont hunt is there a lot of waterfowl hunters in November say in Iowa falls area or Wapsi? I assume its hit or miss. Since i fish year round i have run into hunters a lot in rivers in illinois and wisconsin when kayaking and wading i generally plan to avoid hunting areas if i can not just for safety reasons but because i dont want to comprimise hunters chances since hunting season is limited in time compared tp fishing and i respect the sport.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Skifish,

wish I would have seen your post earlier, closer to when you first posted. If a trip is still in the works and you haven’t written the Iowa near Iowa City off your list, let me know. I could point you in many directions. Yes, some of the river through and near town has been channelized rendering it somewhat of a dead sea, but other place within a 5-10 minute drive are dynamite fishing, and even more so this time of year. Also there are a handful of places on the iowa within 30 min of IC that can be very good as well. In the fall you typically don’t see as many hunters on the Iowa as you would on say, the Wapsi. If you’re wanting to give the Iowa a try shoot me a PM on here. I’d be happy to give a few pointers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.