Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Unwanted Coyote a Little Too Close

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live on the southwest edge of Ames. There is a farm field that seperates hwy 30 from our back yard. My wife looked out the window Saturday morning and saw a coyote about 50 yards behind our house in the field. I threw on some shorts and a jacket and grabbed the pellet gun I keep at the back door (stop laughing) and headed out toward him in the field. I was popping off shots in his direction just to let him know he wasn’t welcome in the area and he high tailed it into a grove of pine trees (interesting to see the crows go crazy when he went in there).

My question is how do I deter this bastard from feeling comfortable in this area. There are too many houses too close to do any real shooting. I thought about taking some fire crackers out to the pine grove to rattle his chain.
    My wife and I woke up a few days ago at 3:30 am to the sound of coyotes howling so I don’t know if this guy was just branching off from the pack or what.

I’ve got a little 12lb yorkie that likes to hunt for field mice along the edge of that field and if something happens to her I’ll have the 2 girls in my house in therapy and I can’t afford that.

Any realistic solutions would be appreciated.

Participant

the only thing you have to be worried about is the yorkie… as for branching off from the pack there are yotes everywhere i live in the middle of west des moines when not as school and there are a couple in our back yard no big deal the cats are smart enough to stay clear sounds to me like your a little paranoid of this coyote only way to get rid of him is really to shoot or trap him

Participant

A 12ga and buck shot or a 22 should take care of him. Just watch what is behind him. Once they find a spot they like they stay and they will kill dogs. So if you do not have one maybe a Friend will help you out. They might even like to do the shooting I know that I would like to do it for anyone. Or check if there are any trapper around. There are a lot of guy that hunt them ask around they would be glad to help you out. Keep you trash in side so they do not get into it. It just makes them get closer and you do not want that.

Participant

trap him. if he continues to go into those pine trees, set a few snares on some runs or use a #330 conniebear with some meat in a 50 gal. barrel to make a giant bucket set. it’d be quick, quiet and ethical and your neighbors wouldn’t even have to know. just my opinion.

Participant

bowhunter32- I have never in my life heard of or seen a song dog stick his head underwater to pull out a piece of meat so how are you going to use a #330?
    I bet he would feel real good when he rolls up to that barrel only to see the tail of his neighbors lab hanging out the end! Please don’t tell me your serious because if you are you are one of those guys that gives the rest of us a bad name!

The best way to solve your problem is Legally trap the yote!

Participant

Kevin is any of the land you mentioned in the city limits. Including the pine grove on the land on the other side of 30. That would make a big difference. I don’t know the area, that is why I asked.

Danny

Participant

If its out of city limits talk to the neighbors explain the risk and get permission to shoot. My 2 cents.

Participant

TJ Davis- I didn’t give that idea much thought and now realize that would be the unethical thing to do, but i still believe that snaring or some form of trapping would be the easiest way of going about the situation. I didnt mean to offend anyone.

Participant

Quote by: jardan

Kevin is any of the land you mentioned in the city limits. Including the pine grove on the land on the other side of 30. That would make a big difference. I don’t know the area, that is why I asked.

Danny

It’s out, but within 200 yds of at least 20 houses. The land owner is pain also.

Traps in the pine grove seem to be the best idea but the land owner is probably on the PETA board of directors 🙄

Participant

You need a bigger dog if you catch my drift! 😈

Participant

Kevin maybe if you contacted your local animal control office maybe they might be able to help you out. I know this is becoming an issue in many citys.

Participant

I was out right there just N of 30 at my apt and heard a coyote howling across the road. Too dark to see anything but I’m wondering if its the same one(s). Good luck trying to get him

Participant

I worked out at the ISU farms when in school and we had problems with coyotes getting calves and lambs. Last I knew you couldn’t hunt or trap on any of the ISU farm land either so hopefully you aren’t in that area. Good luck!

Participant

Quote by: cyclones30

I was out right there just N of 30 at my apt and heard a coyote howling across the road. Too dark to see anything but I’m wondering if its the same one(s). Good luck trying to get him

If your in university plains or the havercamp apts on mortenson then your right on about the location

Participant

Have you got room for goats ,lamas, or alpacas?

If you do there’s no coyote that will come within 50 yds of your house. I know people that run these animals in with their sheep to keep coyotes at bay. They say it works great.

Just a suggestion.

Wick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.