Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Unlimited bobcat quota?

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Wrong again on the newborn fawns! Where do you get your info and why do people continue to spread rumors like this. The majority of a bobcat’s diet is rabbits, squirrels, and other small rodents. 1 out of 100 bobcat digestive systems that the DNR studied had pheasant feathers in it the rest had a large majority of……..you guessed it rabbits and squirrels!! The quota was not filled in 2 or 3 days either…I caught mine the the second third weekend of the season and it was legal beagle it was on that sunday so that was 15 days. Again bad info…..just a rumor mill.

bassman417
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I bowhunted in northern desmoines county and on just one property I saw 3 bobcats. One I assume was the mother and the other two were her kittens or whatever theyre called. I also bowhunted just outside of Burlington city limits and saw yet another cat. So just me personally I saw 4 different cats in a couple week period and during shotgun season this year my dad and younger brother saw a really large one. Still though 5 cats isnt anywhere near an abundant resource. The quota is necessary in my opinion. Look at our deer population and yet we still have a quota on them!! I saw somebody post about a mt. lion and wanting to see one. I didnt get the oportunity but my grandfather (a real skeptical person) and my uncle both saw one crossing the levee below lock and dam 18. Ive seen plenty of tracks from the animal and next time Im out there Ill take some pics of them and post em on here.

Rudd21
    Participant
    Up
    Down

then why dont we have a quota on coyotes then????

sep0667
    Participant
    Up
    Down

To many deer are getting hit by cars, I propose a quota of only one car on the road per square mile. 🙄

trapperchris
    Participant
    Up
    Down

How about farming from ditch to ditch, mowing ditches and waterways or spring burn off’s? Urban sprawl? I think, as humans, we do more to interfere with the growth of turkeys, or for the sake of arguement, upland game in general than all the bobcats or coyotes could do on their own. If anything, we make it easier for predation by destroying valuable habitat and resources.
    I think we do a good job in Iowa controlling our land predators, I know I sure try hard, lol! It’s not just the bobcats, coyotes, ‘coons, etc that prey upon upland game. Don’t forget to consider the aerial predatory influence also. I know where I live, you can’t drive a mile w/o seeing a hawk sitting on a fence post or power pole keeping vigil on a tiny plot of grass for something to move.
    When you co-mingle diminishing habitat with increased TOTAL predator factors and mother nature it all kind of makes sense in my line of thinking.
    I know I can’t control a protected species from eating, ie. aerial predators, and I can’t really do a heck of alot about some farmer wanting to till his land from ditch to ditch, although I do NOT understand how anyone can legally burn a public right of way, guess I’ve never asked. I know I can’t control a developer from offering an unbelievable sum of money to a farmer for his land, nor could I blame the farmer for accepting, but I do know that I can stay involved with the various conservation efforts that exist and support them as practical as I can.
    Just my thoughts-sorry for the rant.
    Have a great weekend!!

APB
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Burning CRP off is the best thing you can do for it. If not burned every couple of years it looks like a lot of it does now with willow trees and weeds over taking it. The grass is full grown by fall even after burnt, how is this bad?

stitch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There’s about 50 turkeys that hang out in my yard (literally) during the months that I can’t shoot them. I think we’re good on turkeys.

Rudd21
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think there talking about the turkeys in southern iowa Stich.. the cats will be in your area soon and you will think the same…

BigG
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a pretty great property in southern Iowa as far as wildlife habitat is concerned that houses plenty of deer, turkeys, and small game. There also is no shortage of coyotes and bobcats. It seems that nature strikes a good balance on it’s own. On days that i have seen bobcats, particularly in the spring time, I also hear turkey alarm calls. It seems that every turkey on the property is aware of the presence of the bobcat. I do not see very much evidence of turkey depredation. Based on the evidence that I see, I conclude that turkeys are not easily preyed upon or are they a major food source for bobcats. Turkey population fluctuation has more to with the weather then it has to do with bobcats. In fact I would go as far to say that the presence of coyotes and bobcats preying upon other turkey predators such as skunks, coons, and possums would help turkey populations.

G

Rudd21
    Participant
    Up
    Down

they mainly kill young turkeys in the spring.. just one more obstacle for our upland birds to get around they have it hard enough now without bobcats..

BigG
    Participant
    Up
    Down

No, they mainly kill rodents and bunny rabbits in the spring and there is no shortage of bunnies on my property.

Yesterday, I asked a fella that I know, who grew up ranching and farming in Texas, if there is a shortage of coyotes and bobcats in Texas? His answer, no shortage. I then asked him if there is a shortage of turkeys in Texas? His answer, no shortage.

I am all for expanding hunting and trapping opportunities for bobcats if populations dictate but I still have to agree with co.

I think he’s full of it. He has no proof to back up his claim.

G

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.