Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Unlimited bobcat quota?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

some crazy politician wants no quota on the bobcat kill because they are supposedly killing too many turkeys? I think he’s full of it. He has no proof to back up his claim.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090218/NEWS10/902180361

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am amazed that the bobcats are killing so many turkeys! It couldnt be the racoons, skunks, and possums eating eggs. Or the coyotes, fox and feral cats catching young polts. Lets blame the bobcats since there aren’t very many of them and see how our situation improves.

There are way too many other predator/opportunistic feeders that each just as many if not more turkeys than bobcats.

I am opposed and rather confused about where some of these people get their information, google? Wikiepedia? the old boys down at the gas station? I hope that this does unlimited harvest does not happen I would rather see a bobcat once in a while than a million turkeys that I see almost every time I am in the country

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

I have bow hunted most of my life in Iowa and have seen 1 cat in wild . I dont think that would be the problem . This guy should spend some time in the outdoors .

merlin
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The article said the representative hunted, here’s what happened, last year this guy didn’t get a turkey and being a legislator the obvious reason had to be due to an over population of bobcats, solution, lift the quota.

Legislators need to stay away from telling the DNR how to do their jobs.

If anyone on this site has never been to a session at the Iowa statehouse you should go. It’s been awhile for me but the times I have been there I have witnessed an unbelievable amount of wasted time.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Its going to be pretty tough to pass without any solid evidence that the bobcat population is decreasing the turkey population. Is the turkey population in decline? If it is I am sure the bobcat is not the only reason.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well if thats what it takes to put the turkey population into a recession tell that politician to live trap all the bobcats he can and bring them to taylor county and turn them loose. If theres one thing that we have more of than deer its turkeys. 😉

The Blue Mule
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There are many more reasons that have depleated ALL game bird populations, weather plays a part, but varmits and predators are at the top of my list.

Sleeperls
    Participant
    Up
    Down

From what ive read we in Iowa dont have many cats. Where im from in nw Kansas as far as i know we dont have a limit. My dad and his worker got 4 this past year.

I wish we had more here in Iowa 🙁 I still want to see a mtn lion in the wild.

drakejoseph
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i myself have seen two in the wild but have seen many tracks. this is just my opinion i dont even like the thought about bobcats being in iowa they have or will bring the turkey population way down im afraid in a couple years they will be in numbers as great as coyotes because they obviously have the food sources to thrive off of. turkey hunting is my all time favorite sport and i dont want to see a stop put to it or be rare to see a turkey

Rudd21
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hope this goes through.. where i hunt in southern iowa they are thick.. and no u wont see them just like u dont see coyotes in the day .. this year bow hunting we saw multiple bobcats they are a predator just like coyotes i say shoot them all.. the quail will never come back with them around..

4 Buck
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Rudd21

I hope this goes through.. where i hunt in southern iowa they are thick.. and no u wont see them just like u dont see coyotes in the day .. this year bow hunting we saw multiple bobcats they are a predator just like coyotes i say shoot them all.. the quail will never come back with them around..

This makes two of us then! Im all for it. Seems like when im out coyote hunting with dogs we end up running at least 2 every week. Pretty thick around my area. But we cant kill them around my area unless they bring it up another another county.

APB
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The turkey population is about half of what it was in southern iowa 5 years ago due to bobcat. I hunt in davis and lucas county. Im not positive on the numbers but I think the bobcat quota always fills up pretty fast.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I highly doubt that bobcats are the sole reason for a fluctuation in turkey population. Teamasgrow mentioned the variety of other animals that impact turkeys, not to mention the many other environmental factors. I agree that 200 might be a little low on the quota for the entire state but the answer to your turkey question is not to eliminate all of the bobcats.

catmando
    Participant
    Up
    Down

why not? whats advantage are bobcats? are they going to drum up money from people buying tags or coming from out of state? got too many turkeys sell more tags. don’t put another predator in the mix

TheDuckMaster
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am staying away from the subject…..however I think you all may enjoy this

twdenney
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Bobcat’s and coyotes are only one of the many many many factors that are hurting the population of quail and pheasants. Iowa DNR needs to take a look at SOUTH DAKOTA to figure out what they have that we don’t have in the way of pheasants? Also if you spend any time in the timber and outdoors in southern IA you will see how many bobcats there really are. Make it open season!!!!! It will not be a problem there are not that many people that have the skill to hunt and trap or kill a bobcat so it will not hurt the population.

Yotecallr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been told there are a lot of bobcats all over the state. They can take what ever game they want, most of the time, as they aren’t lackcing in any skill to do that. Their population is growing every year. These are the facts the DNR will have to consider when looking at how to control these predators.

Rudd21
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think the quota this year was filled in two or three days.. that tells you how many cats are out there..
    there also hard on new born fawns.. wonder why the dnr wants them??? once the exhaust the inventory of deer where are they going to go for money??

The Blue Mule
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Rudd21

I think the quota this year was filled in two or three days..

More like 16 to 17 days, I was trying to get one to come into my calls myself. Keep in mind the first one that a trapper gets (provided that he/she turns it in) goes toward the quota, all that he/she gets after that go as accidental trapping. So if a trapper gets three a year only one goes toward the quota.

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

To be down right honest I wish the bobcats would kill every turkey in the state and take over! Id enjoy hunting bobcats much more than those giant bug infested nasty birds anyway. Turkeys are always screwin up my deer huntin also.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.