Home Forums Miscellaneous Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling Two person kayak recommendation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking to buy a 2 person kayak and seeking input on what model to look at, which ones to avoid.
    Thanks!

Participant

Can I ask how you plan on using a two person kayak? Are you just out to cruise around or fish? Are you looking for two adults or an adult and child? I just added a second seat to the back of my Pescador Pilot so that I can take my daughter out with me.

Participant

Quote by: jnrbronc

Looking to buy a 2 person kayak and seeking input on what model to look at, which ones to avoid.
    Thanks!

Since you are looking for a two person model I would recommend avoiding all of them with just one seat. Badaboom! 🙂 You’re welcome! 🙂

Participant

Just as a FYI (remember free advise is just about worth what you pay for it) most folks I have met that have gotten a two person kayak have quickly come to regret it. They are big and heavy, they are hard to transport, they are poor kayaks for one person, they lock the two paddlers into doing exactly the same thing at the same time, and more often than not they get sold soon. The exceptions seems to be folks that have a smaller child so the boat is used with one adult and one child that is not yet ready to solo and situations where there is one strong paddle in the couple and one weak one (the double boat lets them stay together). At least give some careful consideration to how you will use the boat and if your needs might be much better served with two solo boats. For extensive reviews on individual boats check here – https://paddling.com/reviews/
    David

Participant

i have a pelican 2 person its 13.5 ft. long i can paddle laps around my kids cheap-o menards special…i would recomend it. it cost 599 at dicks last year and was not on sale.

Participant

The nickname for 2 person kayaks is “divorce boats”. So if you are planning on doing this with a significant other you may want to reconsider. 😀 😀

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

The nickname for 2 person kayaks is “divorce boats”. So if you are planning on doing this with a significant other you may want to reconsider. 😀 😀

Nailed it!

I knew it was a bad idea from the start. 😀

Participant

Wife and I have a two man kayak made by wilderness. I believe it’s called a perception 14.5. It is a sit inside model and is very stable for the two of us and we enjoy it as do the kids and their friends. We have been using it for fishing more lately and have found that if we want to do any more serious fishing we will likely look at a sit on top version of a two-man kayak. It may not be suitable for two guys that want to fish their own way and do their own thing but for family time it works out great! We bought ours from Stans Bait and Tackle – Milford, IA

Participant

Thanks for all the feedback.

Won’t be fishing much out of it if we go the two person kayak, more for just paddling about. I would prefer two kayaks over a two-seater.

What I think I’m gonna do is rent a two person kayak locally and go for a test drive and see if she really thinks it is what we want. $15 per hour is a cheap rental rate to figure things out.

Participant

my brother just got this for him and his wife, she has a bad shoulder. is a little bigger but he said he likes it even when by himself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-3-Man-Sport-Fisher-Kayak-Camouflage

Participant

I’d recommend two one person kayaks.

Participant

The wife and I have a 14ft kayak and we absolutley love it. She likes to get a good arm workout in while I fish off the back. With 2 adults its easy to transport although it is a little on the heavy side and a little awkward to get on the vehichle but its well worth it.

They are alot more stable compared to singles and we are able to cut right through 20+ mph winds pretty easy when we are both paddling together.

Participant

We just got back from visiting our son and his wife in Ann Arbor. We rented two-seater kayaks and made the 5.7 mile trip down the Huron River from Barton to Gallup. There were a couple of “chutes” or rapids along the way, which we handled with no problems. They were Ocean Kayaks similar to the Malibu Two XL model (might have been an older model that we rented). Looks like buying one is in our future. 😀

Participant

Last Sunday’s paddle down the Cedar River with one of my sons, approaching the boat ramp at Cedar Valley to get off the river. The river was LOW, drug through a couple areas on the 4 mile stretch we floated.

primitiveprimitive
    Participant

jnrbronc — Thanks for posting that picture, takes me back 50 – 60 years. The cement bridge up river of the old piers from the old wood bridge. I can still remember the way the old plank bridge sounded when I drove my old 38 Chevy across it, little scary back then. Nice!

primitive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.