Home Forums Miscellaneous Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling Two Day Float on the DSM River

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’d like to plan a two day float on the Des Moines River at some point before the end of summer. I was thinking of putting in at Boone waterworks and floating down to Ledges to camp overnight and then floating down to Madrid. Has anyone floated into Ledges to camp before? What did you do to secure your kayak if you camped at one of their sites? It looks like a bit of a haul from the river to the campsites. Or am I just better off hanging a hammock along the river somewhere?

Participant

Personally Id find a sand bar and set up the hammock. Find a good sand bar on a bend with some deep water and you can have lines out all night. Even if your not fishing getting away from the crowd is always nice!

Participant

I second the sand bar idea, that can be a lot of fun and you don’t have to worry other people taking your stuff or being drunk and obnoxious. Just make sure that there is no forecast for significant rain anywhere upstream of you. Don’t ask me how I know. 🙂

Participant

Thanks guys! I think I’ll take your advice and do the sand bar idea. I’m pretty familiar with the river from the E-57 bridge (Luther) to Madrid, but there aren’t a lot of great spots to camp and fish on that stretch. I know of one good sandbar on an inside bend, but it doesn’t have any decent trees to hang a hammock near the water. Does anyone know if there are some better spots to stop north of E-57?

Participant

The sandbar directly upriver of E57 is close to deep water. Pack a tent though. You won’t find too many trees on a sandbar, unless you get lucky enough to find 2 that are laying on it close enough to string a hammock to. There’s fish to be caught there. Goodluck!

riverriver
    Participant

IHO Forget the hammock. You’re better off with a light tarp and sleep on it on the sand. Fold it over you like a wiener bun. I guarantee you’ll either get dew or rain down there. Better yet take a pup tent. Either way you’ll have fun and make memories.

River

Participant

We’ve done that stretch, one of our guys did hammock camp but it is always work to find a suitable site for him. when the river is high during the stretch finding a good sandbar to camp on camp be tricky. It’s a good spot to float.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.