Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Turkeys, How do you cook it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Since it is turkey season, how about sharing your favorite wild Turkey recipe?

Of all the things I hunt, it is my family’s least favorite thing to eat unless I disguise it. I am looking for new ideas.

Below is what I’ve tried, in order of my family’s least favorite to most favorite.

1 – Slow roast entire bird with skin on like a store bird at Thanksgiving. (after 2 attempts, never doing this again)
    2 – Bacon wrap the breast & bake or grill
    3 – Brine & cure/smoke like a ham.
    4 – Debone entire bird and make jerky and/or grind for sausage. (either mix with pork for fresh sausage or make Summer Sausage or sticks)
    5 – Skin, bring to boil then simmer entire bird covered overnight, debone & shred. Use for recipes like bbq sandwiches, enchiladas, gravy over mashed potatoes, various soups.

JefroJefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My favorite is to brine and smoke it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Grill or smoke the breasts
    Carnitas out of the thighs
    wings, legs and carcass get turned into Turkey and noodle soup

Participant
    Up
    Down

Cut into cubes and deep fried, turkey nuggets are hard to beat and usually are a hit with picky kids or wives/gfs. Serve with a side of ketchup for the most refined of palates 😉

Another way I did it one time (because i HATE dry meat), I “poached” a turkey breast on low heat in a pyrex baking dish of turkey broth. After I cleaned the bird originally I put the bones/tidbits in a pressure cooker with some seasoning and veg and made a broth from the carcass. Put the broth in the dish over the turkey breast, and check often, if the level of broth gets too low over time the exposed portion of the breast may get tougher than you want, so add more when/if needed.

But by the time it was done, it was SUPER flavorful (turkey marinated in turkey broth plus veg = YUM) and you could cut it easily with a fork. Fall apart tender without being mushy.

Also the meat from legs, quarters, back and wings makes decent breakfast sausage with the right seasonings and if you cut it with the right stuff.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Schnitzel

Participant
    Up
    Down

I went with option #3 last Thanksgiving with my spring bird. I breasted out the bird, so no skin or bones. I brined the bird (with curing salt/pink salt) for several days. Then smoked it. It turned out fabulous. It retained its moisture and had great flavor. My whole family loved it. I’ll never do one any other way again.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I really want to try to pluck one and deep fry it whole.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The breast, I usually grill after marinating or I have chunked, breaded and deep fried. With the legs, wings, and back meat, we slow cook in a dutch over with a can of sauerkraut and bacon bits sprinkled on top. The sauerkraut does a nice job keeping the meat juicy and the bacon is savory. I also do pheasants like this, except the whole bird.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Same thing I do with pheasant, Fajitas.

Cube the breast and thigh into chunks and cook with vegetables.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I do it just like a Thanksgiving bird: fillet out the breasts, cut off legs at the hip, skin off. Roast in oven wrapped in foil and lid on, 2″ chicken broth or water, season with salt, pepper, 1/4 lb. butter, or your own favorite seasonings. After the first meal we grind and make turkey sandwich meat with pickles, mayo.

Participant
    Up
    Down

http://honest-food.net/wild-turkey-breast-recipe-poached/

I have made several of the recipes from that sight, good stuff, sometimes it can get pretty technical. There are some REALLY good recipes on his site, this being one of them and it is so simple I assure anyone on this site can make it turn out right :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Smoked, second choice oven

Participant
    Up
    Down

My favorite is jerky, but I have wrapped the breasts and smoked after brining. I like them both, but lean toward jerky.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.