Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Turkey Hunting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone been out?  Going out?

I’m planning on going out second season.  I’ve just started this week seeing turkeys starting to take their normal spring patterns on my place, but haven’t had a chance to scout out my dad’s farm…  I might use tomorrow as a scouting day, since the weather won’t be too conducive to calling if the winds don’t die down….

Participant

Heading out 2nd season.  Hopefully the weather breaks and gets the birds fired up!

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Son and I sat Monday and Tuesday 1st season.  Toms were gobbling in the early mornings only.

Gave up on Wednesday and Thursday due to snow, ice, rain, and high winds.  Nothing green where we hunt, spring is late.

Will try again 4th season.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

Usually I go 2nd and 4th seasons but due to scheduling conflicts, I decided to go 1st and 4th.  Went out Monday a.m., lots of gobbling , unfortunately they flew down behind me across a marshy area and couldn’t call them across, went out again in evening at 5:30, saw and heard nothing, then at 7:00, 2 toms walked out of the timber while I was nodding off and woke up just in time to see them 15′ outside my right side walking straight to the decoys.  Was able to get the gun up and took home a 24 lb. tom.  It was 79 degrees here, I had to take off my boots and socks in the blind and get comfortable , almost too comfortable.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I didn’t go out until this evening because of this wind….  I didn’t hear or see any turkeys, but was covered up by a couple of deer.  A mature doe and a yearling buck.  They provided a lot of camera time, the little buck just didn’t want to leave the wind leaned decoy I had setup 15 yards in front of me in the timber.  He hung out for a good half hour, anywhere from 15-50 feet away.  He never did really spook but finally did walk off at dark.  Then a few minutes later when I got up I had deer huffing at me from every direction….  Funny, when I deer hunt that spot in the winter I’ll be covered up in turkeys LOL…

Participant

I was blessed to put my cousin on a couple birds this morning and he was able to bag his first thunder chicken. Hopefully more to follow as he’s now addicted!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

congrats mbruns and your cousin!!!  Nice thunder chicken!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant
    Participant

Congrats, looks like a nice place there with the water reflecting off the windows behind you in the photo.

Participant

Scruffy, I have a 20 gauge, 3″ just like that, bought some shells a few years ago but have never taken it turkey hunting yet, always use my 870 pump.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I was able to do an evening sit on my place yesterday and was able to coax this tom from a hilltop quite a ways away.  After he sounded off I called sparingly with a box and eventually very softly on a slate call, just enough to keep him interested and know a hen was still down along the creek below.  I heard his gobbles get slowly closer as he made his way down the hill, heard him flap to get over the fence, then it took more coaxing to get him across the creek but he did it.  Then let him very slowly and cautiously move his way up a deer trail, passing within maybe 20 feet away as he passed by me to circle around where the DSD hen was positioned on the intersection of two deer trails.  The hen was placed around 15 steps from me and when the tom relaxed out of strut next to her and turned to leave, lifting his head to look back at the hen one last time over his shoulder, the hammer dropped on the old NEF fixed mod single shot sending the Winchester XR #4’s to their destination.  His approach took nearly an hour but the patience was well worth it.

And holding that NEF up for that final few minutes for the perfect shot is sure a lot easier than holding a pump or semi up!  Long live the single!

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by scruffy scruffy.
    Participant

Nice bird, I’m waiting to go again 4th season, maybe I’ll take the single shot out?

Participant

I have never turkey hunted.  It looks like something I need to learn.  Nice birds everybody!

Participant

What time of day do most of you do your evening hunting for gobblers?

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I start walking around 4 for evening sits.  If you’re in the area of a bird roosting or where they get an evening bite to eat before roosting, or best is between those two spots, i think 4 has been a good time for me to start.

My spot was between a field to my north i had been seeing a jake and hen in the evening and a common roosting hill to my south.  I expected to call the jake from the field but instead got a tom to come down from the roosting area.

Unrelated, i made a couple coyote calling stands this morning and heard a lot of gobbling all morning.  I heard at least three toms sounding off.  One hen came in to check out my rabbit distress and pulled a gobbling tom along behind her.  Pretty good show!  The toms are definitely with the program today!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.